Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/08/2018, 01:31 PM   #1
peekay
Registered Member

Granite not an acceptable material for an aquarium stand top!

I'm currently undergoing a 100g tank build and was looking for a good solid top to put the tank on. I went to my granite guy to look at some remnants for the build and he informed me that granite was way too porous for a salt water tank and that the granite top would be destroyed in no time.

Bummer in the summer.

He suggested an acrylic top. For those of you who have made their own stands, what substrate have you used for the top? Any other suggestions besides acrylic?

Happy reefing!

PK

peekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 01:39 PM   #2
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Granite is definitely porous, but when sealed properly there should be no problem. If in doubt you could use a polyurethane resin on top of the granite. Alternatively, you could look at marble or a synthetic top, like silestone.

Unread 11/08/2018, 02:52 PM   #3
hkgar
Registered Member

Look into Quartz.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 02:56 PM   #4
peekay
Registered Member

I talked to my guy about quartz, and he says it's a lot less porous than granite, but probably not the best idea for salt water. I'm looking into corian, as that's basically acrylic. Scouring Craigslist and FB Marketplace for remnant slabs that I can cut.

Thanks!

Unread 11/08/2018, 03:50 PM   #5
davocean
Registered Member

I would think quartz would be fine, and sure corian if you can find it.

Many of us just do a nice ply, stained and clear coated.

All the stands I build get a polyeurethane clear, I think some are going 15 years or better and still doing just fine.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2018, 03:56 PM   #6
peekay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocean View Post
I would think quartz would be fine, and sure corian if you can find it.

Many of us just do a nice ply, stained and clear coated.

All the stands I build get a polyeurethane clear, I think some are going 15 years or better and still doing just fine.
Now, I'm guessing the countertop guys just don't want to do such a small job. I literally need just a 51 x 24 slab with a 6 x 12 notch cut out for the plumbing. Hopefully a couple of these Corian leads pan out. Thanks for the help guys!

PK

Unread 11/08/2018, 04:35 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

It's not a lot of money vs liability if they break it doing that notch.
Corian of course is super forgiving in that area.

I once took a class from Corian, way back in the 80's!
Amazing stuff but expensive at the time, then lost popularity among other choices like quartz, but someone told me recently they are still around.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 11/08/2018, 05:49 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

If you want granite..get granite...if the top is getting enough water to cause damage you have other problems..
It will get far less water exposure than any kitchen countertop

But yes there are also many synthetic surfaces that are totally fine too..

Unread 11/08/2018, 06:44 PM   #9
davocean
Registered Member

Granite can water stain fairly easy, they require a sealer that needs to be reapplied as sealer wears.
It's one of the reasons so many are shying away from granite for kitchen counters.

Unread 11/09/2018, 08:53 AM   #10
peekay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
If you want granite..get granite...if the top is getting enough water to cause damage you have other problems..

Mcgyvr - love the "being blunt.." in your sig...LOL

Yeah, I found a guy up by me that has a ton of Corian remnants that I'll be able to choose from. Hopefully, I can pick something out this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted.

PK

Unread 11/09/2018, 04:01 PM   #11
Sk8r
RC Mod

Unless display OF the stand top is the aim, even regular countertop in laminate works well: when we re-did the kitchen, I saved the countertops and used them down in the basement sump area. Several years on, that old countertop is still easy to clean, resists salt, and has no problems despite a lot of salt creep, chemicals and other things that go on with sumps.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2018, 09:55 PM   #12
lowtek
Registered Member

Self leveling epoxy is the route I took on my DIY stand.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

lowtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 11:52 AM   #13
Apercula
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekay View Post
I talked to my guy about quartz, and he says it's a lot less porous than granite, but probably not the best idea for salt water. I'm looking into corian, as that's basically acrylic. Scouring Craigslist and FB Marketplace for remnant slabs that I can cut.

Thanks!
Look for a Habitat Restore near you. Habitat for Humanity sells building supplies that have been donated, but that they aren't using themselves.

Apercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2018, 01:01 PM   #14
peekay
Registered Member

Got a nice piece of Corian cut to size.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Unread 11/10/2018, 04:10 PM   #15
Sk8r
RC Mod

THat's going to do fine.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2018, 04:12 PM   #16
hkgar
Registered Member

Looks good.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 11/14/2018, 11:32 AM   #17
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:

+1

This much thought into a countertop, id hate to see the "what lights should i buy" thread.

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2018, 11:50 AM   #18
shred5
Registered Member

I like that...

Unread 11/14/2018, 11:51 AM   #19
peekay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername2000 View Post
+1

This much thought into a countertop, id hate to see the "what lights should i buy" thread.
LOLOL! Surprisingly, I've already decided on lights. Reefbreeders V2+ just need to see if the 32" version will provide enough PAR for my 48" tank

Unread 11/14/2018, 12:13 PM   #20
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:
LOLOL! Surprisingly, I've already decided on lights. Reefbreeders V2+ just need to see if the 32" version will provide enough PAR for my 48" tank

not to side track the thread, but what made you choose those. I haven't heard anything amazing nor bad; just curious.

Unread 11/14/2018, 12:15 PM   #21
peekay
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevername2000 View Post
not to side track the thread, but what made you choose those. I haven't heard anything amazing nor bad; just curious.
I've heard great things about these lights and the cost is within my wheelhouse. I'm a bang for the buck kinda guy. Don't need ALL the bells and whistles, but these have a lot of bells and whistles for the price

Unread 11/14/2018, 01:29 PM   #22
clevername
Registered Member

Quote:
I've heard great things about these lights and the cost is within my wheelhouse. I'm a bang for the buck kinda guy. Don't need ALL the bells and whistles, but these have a lot of bells and whistles for the price

Yeah i was looking at them. The only thing i worry about is they have color LEDs separated out and the spectrum is HEAVY blue which isnt greatest for coral.

You might get a disco ball affect with the colors being separated by a prism effect in the tank.

I will say, i have no experience with them but this is just what i thought when doing some research. Let us know how they go.

Unread 11/14/2018, 02:20 PM   #23
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:

But not salt water and its corrosive nature. I would consider calking (silicone) the perimeter around the tank to prevent any possible spill to seeping underneath. It is not that accidents do happen, it is more accidents will happen.

Unread 08/16/2019, 02:14 AM   #24
Alex3344
Registered Member

Like any other stone surface, it can stain and will absorb water... you can seal it if that bothers you (more info on sealing by link: https://graniteprotect.com/ ). Build a suitable stand for it and everything will be fine.

Alex3344 is offline   Reply With Quote