Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/23/2018, 06:54 PM   #1
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

Question Aqueon Stands - Heavy Enough for 90g Reef?

I've been out of the hobby for about 6yrs.

I've just purchased a used 90g RR Aqueon tank and their black pine stand to go with it. The tank seems to be nice quality. It has a built in center overflow, rated for 600gph. The tank and stand were both purchased new about 2yrs ago (sellers word) Also came with a Reef Octopus Skimmer (NW-150-6530B) and pump, as well as a 30L sump with baffles.

The stand gives me the willies!! It looks like it's in good shape, but it looks really weak for such a load. I figure this tank is gonna weigh about 150-160lbs, add around 750-775lbs for water, a few hundred pounds of rock and sand....1100--1200lbs for the whole thing .... give or take a few grains. This stand looks like it would collapse under that kind of weight.

Has anyone ever experienced a collapse? Ever added reinforcing to a factory made stand?

Thanks

Last edited by LPS_Blasto; 07/23/2018 at 07:05 PM.
LPS_Blasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2018, 05:06 PM   #2
maddmaxx
Registered Member

pics?

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2018, 06:25 PM   #3
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

Having trouble. Will try to upload another pic in following posts if I can.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180723_212738.jpg (41.4 KB, 37 views)
Unread 07/24/2018, 06:31 PM   #4
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

The center braced was removed today, so I could get the 30L sump out. It will be replaced and secured with screws and glue before I put the tank on top again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180724_202927.jpg (76.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20180724_202940.jpg (68.8 KB, 35 views)
Unread 07/24/2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Tyler.L
Registered Member

im about to get back into the hobby also been about 2-3 years for me. I dont trust that stand either and would definitely reinforce that stand. Better safe than sorry!

Tyler.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2018, 05:58 AM   #6
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

I'm not sure if I should try to reinforce this stand or try to build a new DIY stand from some of the online plans. I'm not much of a carpenter and I don't have table saws and large wood working clamps. Building a new stand would be a challenge.

Unread 07/25/2018, 07:15 AM   #7
fisher99
Registered Member

Aqueon stand

For what its worth, I had the same stand with a 90 gal sitting on it for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it.
Also it was filled with a lot of Tampa Bay Saltwater rocks and it never started to move at all.
I would just glue and screw the braces back tight and go with it.

fisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2018, 11:16 AM   #8
Aquavaj
Registered Member

I once had a 100g with a stand made of MDF. There were 3 doors so only 2 front brace and a single in the back. Most of the inside were exposed MDF yet never had a problem. I would imagine solid wood being much more sturdy than MDF.

Aquavaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2018, 11:29 AM   #9
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
For what its worth, I had the same stand with a 90 gal sitting on it for over 10 years and have never had a problem with it.
Also it was filled with a lot of Tampa Bay Saltwater rocks and it never started to move at all.
Thanks for chiming in!!

Quote:
I would just glue and screw the braces back tight and go with it.
I'm thinking the same thing. I might add some gussets in the corners to help with any diagonal loading (which it should not experience). Add some more screws and a little glue here and there.

After looking at it more closely, it does appear the top rim sites on a step or groove that joins to the vertical pieces. I was concerned about a few different parts of the stand. Mostly, the top rim seemed to be only held on with glue and a few thin nails. Then I noticed the routered joint that creates a step for it to sit on. This transfers the load vertically, down to the ground.

My next concern is the lack of diagonal bracing. Full width diagonal bracing on the sides and back, or at the very least gussetts in the corners would add a tremendous amount of strength to the overall unit. I'm going to try and add some of those where I can.

Still looks really light to me, but I knew people were using them -- just wasn't sure if reefers were filling them up with sand and rocks.

Unread 07/25/2018, 01:32 PM   #10
steallife904
Registered Member

I have a 140 gallon DSA tank sitting on a stand (they made) that made me feel the same way but has been fine for 3 years. I think the stands are stronger than they appear. Plus they build them for the size tank so they should know the weight that will be sitting on top.

steallife904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/25/2018, 03:39 PM   #11
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steallife904 View Post
I have a 140 gallon DSA tank sitting on a stand (they made) that made me feel the same way but has been fine for 3 years. I think the stands are stronger than they appear. Plus they build them for the size tank so they should know the weight that will be sitting on top.
You'd think they would know what they're doing, right ? It still scares me to think of setting over 1,000 lbs on top of this stand.

Unread 07/26/2018, 02:20 PM   #12
billdogg
Registered Member

Although I don't particularly care for their stands, I'm going to have to side with the manufacturer on this one. Even the thought of a liability lawsuit caused by stand failure would dictate that the stand they sell for a given size tank is more than adequate to support it.

IMHO, 99% of DIY stands, and all stands made using the Rocket Engineer template/dimensional lumber are way overbuilt assuming even beginner level skills. (not that there is anything wrong with it being overbuilt. At least until you have to move it. Using proper joinery, you could make a stand out of 1/2" plywood that would easily support a tank many times that size.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2018, 02:37 PM   #13
bblumberg
Registered Member

I would not trust the stand. It looks relatively flimsy and the area that is supporting the tank rim is quite small. Are those 3/4" by 6" boards? This stand may last for a long time, or it may not. Why take the chance? In my view the stand could use a refinishing and you might just as well build a new one and finish it to your satisfaction from the start. Perhaps reuse the doors if you like them. It is a good way to keep the wife happy, too. Mine tolerates the 4 aquariums in the living area, but does insist that they look nice.

There is no winnable liability lawsuit that I can see in the event of a potential failure because the stand is no longer under warranty and obviously did its job for the time it was under warranty. Overbuilt is a good concept when you are dealing with the type of damage that a stand failure can cause to your home AND the amount of money you will lose in livestock, not to mention the pain of loss. I recently had to replace a beautiful custom 10 year old stand that the builder apparently decided to make out of oak-veneered particleboard instead of oak-veneered plywood. I would have happily paid the difference but was not offered the chance. That was a big pain. The new stand is built out of angle iron with a wood shell and is a major improvement in every way.

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2018, 07:56 PM   #14
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

I'm talking to a local finish carpenter about building a stand to house my tank and most equipment (ATO reservoir, RO filter, etc)

So far he's very eager to look at pictures of other tanks and stands I collected from a simple g0ogIe search. I sent him a link to a DIY site that I found here on RC forums. He's studying general construction technique and practices for a week. I'm hoping to finalize a design with him and price the materials in the next couple weeks.

It's really the best option. I have not the skills, tools, or desire to learn how to be a furniture grade carpenter.

My wife looked at me and said, "If you're going to have a custom stand made, to match our home.... are you sure a 90g is big enough?"

Unread 08/03/2018, 07:19 AM   #15
Tyler.L
Registered Member

the scary thing is theyre mostly pressed board and with the salt creep and water, i see expansion happening in the stands. I had a 50g on a real trashy stand and thinking about it now its amazing it never collapsed or moved

Unread 08/03/2018, 07:32 AM   #16
jamie1981
Registered Member

That stand looks like a standard marineland stand. They are made with solid pine boards not partial board or OSB. Before you say that it looks flimsy you need to understand the engineering behind the design. The top frame sits on top of the notched vertical supports which carry the load to the floor. It is not just held on with nails. It's far more solid than you think. Glass tanks that have a bottom trim should only be supported around the edges.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2018, 09:55 AM   #17
Tyler.L
Registered Member

good to know thanks for the info jaime

Unread 08/13/2018, 08:25 AM   #18
LPS_Blasto
Registered Member

I sold the whole thing - tank and stand.

Bought a bigger one -- a NEW one.