Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/08/2012, 09:19 PM   #51
BlueFyre
Registered Member

I got the rock nem and maxi mini at the same time so I can't say. I have seen pictures of them hosting maxi minis. I would think they would choose a nem over no nem.

BlueFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/08/2012, 11:01 PM   #52
StephLionfish
Registered Member

Mkay, thank you.

Unread 04/15/2012, 02:53 PM   #53
StephLionfish
Registered Member

Nitrates are about 50, and ammonia is still a little high. Doing water changes x2 a week. Sick of the high params.
The fish stores all have maxi minis in, but they aren't really...pretty. I'm only going to get a few, so I want them to be pretty. One LFS has a nice orange one, but they won't sell it.
Not much of an update.

Unread 05/06/2012, 05:15 PM   #54
StephLionfish
Registered Member

Another slow update... I'm going to do a water test later. I pulled a lot of macro off the top rock that was dead. It had live pieces growing from the seemingly dead...But I thought it was ugly.

My little buddy: Micro Brittle

Sorry for being slow with updates... I went through an "out of the hobby" stage..and I'm just now stepping back into my aquarist boots. I've been topping off tanks and tossing food in, but that's about it.
I'm thinking about getting a Peppermint shrimp for the aippies, but I'd hate it if I couldn't get it back out.

Unread 05/07/2012, 06:14 AM   #55
nwcronauer1242
Registered Member

Hi Steph! Looks fantastic so far Steph. I'll be starting on a 5g in a couple of weeks. Just have to reseal the tank (a couple of leaks) then I'll be starting. I love the idea of all inverts, although I have do have an obsession with maroon and gold clowns. I've not seen the Pederson's before. They may be my reason to keep it an invert only tank. Beautiful specimens.. Keep up the good work.

SUBSCRIBED !!!

nwcronauer1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/07/2012, 04:44 PM   #56
StephLionfish
Registered Member

Thanks for the sub!
I think you should go with an invert tank, with a small fish or two in there if you want fish. I think Maroon Clowns get too large for a 5g, unfortunately. There's endless possibilities with inverts, though.

Here is a link to a 5g thread. It's just where people post pictures of their 5.5g, or 5g's. You can use it to help you think of a scape for yours, or get an idea with what you want to do with the tank.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1897445

Do post a build on your 5g. I love any tank with special inverts

Unread 10/07/2012, 12:39 PM   #57
FishNutty
Registered Member

Cool idea for a tank! How is it doing now? I'm thinking of doing something similar, did you get the tank by itself or in a kit?

FishNutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2012, 09:03 PM   #58
StephLionfish
Registered Member

Thanks for the bump. Unfortunately, I'm having to take the tank down. Nothing extra was added to it. I'm downgrading all of my tanks due to expenses, and this one will/would require too much extra to keep it going.

I bought this tank as a kit a while back ago. Came with the hood, heater, filter, and all that fun stuff. Got it at the lfs.

Cool that you're doing soemthing similar, FishNutty. I'll sub you if you make a thread

Thanks for following along, guys!

Unread 10/11/2012, 03:04 PM   #59
FishNutty
Registered Member

That's too bad. I had a similar situation with a pico I tried to start in addition to my nano; it turned into a money pit, lol. Was it the Hagen Marina kit? I've been looking at it, but haven't found anyone who's used it as a reef.

Unread 10/11/2012, 05:14 PM   #60
StephLionfish
Registered Member

Nope, I honestly can't remember what kind mine is.. It's one of the ones that have the big, ugly, black hood that has a crappy light in it. It comes with the aquaclear filter and a heater and such.

Noticed a whole lotta little yellow tunicates forming all over the rocks. I'm going to put the rocks into a new 10g AIO (downgrade from a reef) with my mantis and lps.. But, that's a whole other build

Unread 10/11/2012, 05:21 PM   #61
StephLionfish
Registered Member

FishNutty, check out that "1g piece of the sea" thread on here. Looks similar to the tank you're looking at. Might be interested in it.

Unread 10/11/2012, 07:18 PM   #62
FishNutty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephLionfish View Post
It's one of the ones that have the big, ugly, black hood that has a crappy light in it.
haha, the hood was half the draw...I've got LED strips I could move over and a overly interested/"helpful" cat, lol!

Those micro-reef tanks are nice! That 1 gallon is really well done, I hadn't seen it before, thanks for point it out. I've some tops from them, too and have been toying with seeing if he'd make me one to stick the LEDs in.

You going to do a build thread on the ten gallon?

Unread 10/11/2012, 07:56 PM   #63
StephLionfish
Registered Member

Oh I know how cats are.. my cat used to sit on top of my 55g (it had glass lids). o.0

Could you just put a glass top on the tank, and hang a led above it? I'm not sure if that would work for you, though.

Not sure if I will or not. I'm not sure if it will get enough attention to. (I'm terrible at DIY, so it will be very simple lol).