Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/21/2017, 03:18 PM   #1
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

sand substitute for quarantine tank?

I have a leopard wrasse and QT at the moment, I placed a small container with sand in the QT tank to avoid stress/injuries at night when trying to find a place to rest.

The problem is that even if its not that much sand its absorbing the cupramine in the tank, so I cant keep treatment levels.

I need to find a substitute. Or remove it...

Any help ?

Thanks!

juanmanuelsanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 03:50 PM   #2
AlSimmons
Registered Member

You could try putting a piece of pvc pipe in the tank for the wrasse to sleep in. Maybe 6 or 7 inches long and just wide enough for the Wrasse to slip in and out of.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 03:54 PM   #3
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

I have several pcv pipes. The problem is that he goes with the nose at full speed trying to dig in the glass. And you can see the fish really stressed.

Will the sand leech back the cupramine?. Because I just redosed and I don't want to get it to toxic levels.

Unread 03/21/2017, 03:56 PM   #4
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

What about tiny smooth glass pellets?

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 06:45 PM   #5
Desert Sea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmanuelsanch View Post
I have several pcv pipes. The problem is that he goes with the nose at full speed trying to dig in the glass. And you can see the fish really stressed.

Will the sand leech back the cupramine?. Because I just redosed and I don't want to get it to toxic levels.
Did you TTM him first before putting into the QT?

I would keep the QT tank bare bottom in the event that he has something so that the substrate doesn't become a refuge for any parasites.

When you dose Cupramine or any other copper containing treatment, you should test your water between treatments to see what the copper level is. Copper can be toxic at high levels.

Desert Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2017, 10:05 PM   #6
juanmanuelsanch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Sea View Post
Did you TTM him first before putting into the QT?

I would keep the QT tank bare bottom in the event that he has something so that the substrate doesn't become a refuge for any parasites.

When you dose Cupramine or any other copper containing treatment, you should test your water between treatments to see what the copper level is. Copper can be toxic at high levels.
Usually in the bare bottom setup I dont need to measure because the levels do not change that much.

With the sand it did... its getting lower. So I think I will remove it and cleand all the sand that I can (its not that much to be honest) I just dont want the leopart to get stressed.

Also I dont do TTM, I just have my QT tank and apply a protocolo.

Paraguard
Cupramine
Prazipro

The whole treatment cycle is around 40 days, but gets extended if I see signs of any illness in the observation time.

Unread 03/22/2017, 01:00 AM   #7
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Use pure silica sand. It won't absorb copper.
I discussed that in the guide to setup qt tank.
Here is the link.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2195588

Page 66, post #1643

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 01:26 PM   #8
Hawaiian Stylin
Registered Member

Thanks!
I have a wrasse in my tank (tank about 10 months old) and just added my first fishmate to the group. So I'm planning ahead, just in case.. I did QT the new guy, a lawnmower blenny, but you never know.
Again, thanks for starting this thread, and for all the contributors with answers.

Hawaiian Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:02 PM   #9
JustinM
Registered Member

I have used just a small Tupperware with normal sand for my leopard wrasses. Every single one found it and it didn’t mess with meds being absorbed.

JustinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 07:38 PM   #10
jubei2006
Registered Member

I think we see more disease in our fish due to stress and poor husbandry than anything else. As someone else mentioned small Tupperware with sand. When done toss the sand and vacuum out any that has gone elsewhere. Fish will respond and recover better if not stressed out. Should also see faster return to eating times and natural behavior.

jubei2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 01:32 PM   #11
Lfunnyfarm
Registered Member

My female leopard wrasse used a plastic container with sand just fine. When doing TTM, discard the sand after use or dry it out COMPLETELY. Do not use sand that has been in a tank unless you clean it thoroughly and dry it out.

She is the toughest fish in my tank. She survived an outbreak of marine velvet that killed everything else. That was when I learned the necessity of quarantine!

Lfunnyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote