Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/15/2018, 11:54 PM   #1
Sagemcdonald
Registered Member

Question New2Salt 55 Gallon help

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with what corals/fish I should get for my 50 Gallon tank. I am new to the salt water scene, but have kept freshwater fish for over 15 years. My tank is tall and similar to a 30gallon tank length wise. I do want to have 2 clown fish for sure.

Sagemcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:23 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

The clowns will be fine.

Look into flasher/fairy wrasses, gobies, blennies, basslets, cardinals, damsels, etc.

Fishes to stay away from: triggers, tangs, full-size angels, puffers, butterflies.

You'll have to tell us more about your system (dimensions, specific lights, equipment) to get more advice, especially on corals.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 08:48 AM   #3
emilese
Registered Member

What types of corals do you think you'll want to keep? Softies? LPS? SPS?

emilese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2018, 09:04 AM   #4
Sorcha2
Registered Member

There are a few small types of puffers that would be fine in that size of tank but they will eat snails and crabs. Valintini puffers would be a good one to look into. Most of the easily available puffers in the saltwater trade do grow too large for that size of tank though.

Royal Gamma is another pretty fish to look into.

There are also some very pretty varieties of wrases that would work.

Cherub Angel might work. I've never had one though and sometimes I hear they can pick at corals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorcha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 12:48 AM   #5
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Hello & welcome. How old is your tank?

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2018, 07:30 AM   #6
Jekerry
Registered Member

I have a 54. My goby and cardinals seem to work great together. Watch out about anenome. If you want one, get it first and let it settle. I got mine at the same time as corals and it kept moving and stinging them. Ended up returning it.

As another noob, one word of advice in a smaller tank is to figure out which corals can be near each other and how fast they might grow and run out of room. We have had to shuffle things around due to bad interactions that could have been avoided with more research. For example, every other coral got upset if our hairy green mushroom rock was near it. Oddly, if you smell them, they do actually stink! We ended up putting the rock way up high, way in the back, and as far as possible from the others.

We have found that the Duncan, frog spawn and hammers seem to be ok fairly close but not touching. Our Rasta leather is annoying since it will actually lay down to it can feel another coral up and irritate it. So you have to keep in mind not just it’s reach standing up, but also laying down.

I guess i’m Saying you can’t do enough research or add things slowly enough and even if you do, I am guessing like for us and the Rasta leather, they will still confound you with unexpected behavior.

Oh! And do dip all corals. Even if they come from somewhere really trusted.

This is a fun hobby. We are having a blast, but it is not easy.

Jane

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote