Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/12/2015, 10:56 PM   #1
Squeaky
Registered Member

How do you contain you eels?

I picked up a snowflake eel yesterday, and sadly he managed to escape through a 2 inch gap at the back of my tank. I have a glass canopy and I have an over sized filter for my tank. My levels aren't the problem I believe it was just the stress of moving (They had just gotten him in the shop that day and I brought him home an hour later, he was still floating there in the bag) that drove it to look for escape. Sealing the tank all the way is going to be difficult, so I was thinking if I built some 'walls ' out of plexiglass to make the uncovered edges of the tank 3" higher or so. Would that help or would I be better off just trying to make small caps to completely seal the aquarium.

What do you guys use for eel proof aquarium covers?

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2015, 01:26 AM   #2
Kyuss
Megistered Rember

It's what they do so don't feel bad. I use a clear mesh screen frame. I have mine just velcro'd down for now as my chainlink is still on the small side, but am planning a much more robust setup. If you have any cords going over the rim into the tank you have to get a bit crafty because if you leave any spot they can fit through it's just a matter of time before he'll find it.

Kyuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Squeaky
Registered Member

Yeah, I wasn't really upset about it. I knew it wasn't anything I did, my exact works when I found him on the floor were 'you little f****r, you couldn't give me one night huh?' lol. It's the back of the tank so I'm not super worried about it looking great. One of my friends gave me the idea of putting screen mesh over two plexiglass pieces to make a corner and a flexible top. As far as cables I'm going to have to find a way to get them to exit near my filter.

Unread 02/13/2015, 02:39 PM   #4
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

Weighted eggcrate kept my moringas in

"Eelcatraz" for the ribbon eel. Scuba tank mesh and egg crate

Eggcrate, sewing mesh, and scuba tank mesh for the Dragon Moray

hook locks for the front

Unread 02/13/2015, 02:45 PM   #5
Kynigos
Registered Member

I use eggcrate as well for larger eels. A smallish snowflake might be able to get through though.

For moringas I'd suggest something like the raptor feeding pen in Jurassic Park. Those little buggers are mean.

Kynigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2015, 08:26 PM   #6
Squeaky
Registered Member

I am going to try and fashion something with putty and window screen

Unread 02/15/2015, 09:18 PM   #7
ChimolaFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynigos View Post

For moringas I'd suggest something like the raptor feeding pen in Jurassic Park. Those little buggers are mean.
Haha, that's good. I have two openings that are seperated by the brace. Luckily my overflow drains directly to the back (bad explanation) and has no way for my eel to get out so I just have two pieces of acrylic that cover each opening. The acrylic has small holes drilled in it to allow air to pass through. Those are weighted down.

Unread 02/15/2015, 11:05 PM   #8
Kynigos
Registered Member

Moringas are just plain nasty. One of the only fish I will say is legitimately aggressive just to be a dick. I had one pick on a significantly larger M. melanotis until one day the melanotis killed it. The melanotis was great with everything except damsels and that moringa. I'll never get another one.

Kynigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2015, 12:35 PM   #9
rssjsb
Registered Member

Snowflakes are extremely escape-prone. The've got really tiny skulls and can squeeze through surprisingly small spaces. You can't count on eggcrate to contain one - especially a juvenile. Window screen sounds good, but be sure it's weighted down well. An eel's body is like one giant muscle.

Too late now, but if you find one outside the tank, you should try to put it back in the water. They often revive even when they look dried out. It's a coping skill that helps them survive in the wild.

Unread 05/23/2018, 05:33 AM   #10
Chad_P
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemiss reb View Post
Weighted eggcrate kept my moringas in

"Eelcatraz" for the ribbon eel. Scuba tank mesh and egg crate

Eggcrate, sewing mesh, and scuba tank mesh for the Dragon Moray

hook locks for the front

Is that just egg crate you can get at HD? The one I have seems flimsy curious how much weight it can hold. Did you reinforce it any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chad_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 08:44 AM   #11
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

Egg crate was from one of the big box stores sold in 8' pieces. I cut off the slim outer strip and rested it on the tanks plastic lip. No idea on the weight it can support but it gets more rigid as you cut it down to fit tank and I made sure the granite strips were resting on the plastic lip.

Unread 05/24/2018, 04:51 AM   #12
thomashtom
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
I picked up a snowflake eel yesterday, and sadly he managed to escape through a 2 inch gap at the back of my tank. I have a glass canopy and I have an over sized filter for my tank. My levels aren't the problem I believe it was just the stress of moving (They had just gotten him in the shop that day and I brought him home an hour later, he was still floating there in the bag) that drove it to look for escape. Sealing the tank all the way is going to be difficult, so I was thinking if I built some 'walls ' out of plexiglass to make the uncovered edges of the tank 3" higher or so. Would that help or would I be better off just trying to make small caps to completely seal the aquarium.

What do you guys use for eel proof aquarium covers?
Believe it or not i use saran wrap and roll it up in a ball to squeeze in areas where the eels might be able to fit through. It has worked for years. i have a glass canopy on tank but i have a hang on overflow for my Refuge. which i use the wrap for.

thomashtom is offline   Reply With Quote