Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/11/2016, 08:51 PM   #26
locito277
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
Some progress made. My goal is to get the drywall done and paint and then concentrate on the tank move. I will finish the trims and doors and floor after the tank is settled.

Picked up a bunch of insulation last week. HD has a bulk price so we picked up more than needed and insulated the interior walls as well.

This stuff is really nasty to work with.

Drywall being worked on. Hoping to be finished by the end of the week so we can paint next week.

Fishroom

Looking great!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 224 and 720 gallon in progress!
locito277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2016, 04:53 PM   #27
mcrist
Premium Member

I love the tank's dimensions and the build. Looking back I wish I would have went with a 24" height over a 30". Keep us all updated.

Current Tank Info: 450 Gallon Peninsula
mcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 02:06 PM   #28
scar79
Registered Member

Almost a bummer to come across a thread like this so early in the project! Great work up to this point - look forward to seeing the rest.

scar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2016, 02:40 PM   #29
MHG
Registered Member

Building permit and DIY....dont see that much... In fact never seen that. Congrats on doing it right.

Unread 10/20/2016, 08:27 AM   #30
homerclease
Registered Member

This is going to be an amazing build! Keep us updated..

homerclease is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2016, 09:33 PM   #31
this is me
Registered Member

Drywall done. Spent all week painting. Never thought painting can be so much work. Did one coat of primer and two coats of BM. I was thinking about focusing on the tank move and tank transfer and not do anything else to the basement but I think I will most likely be doing the trims. Can't stand looking at those unfinished doorway openings.

Tank stand unwrapped and leveled.

Ready for the tank move! Will cut the 3/4" plywood and foam board to place on top of the stand.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2016, 12:37 AM   #32
Raintree
Registered Member

I'm excited to see the setup! Looking good so far

Raintree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2016, 07:33 PM   #33
this is me
Registered Member

Christmas came a little early today! In addition to the equipment running on the Elos currently, these will be used to run on the new system.

I'm not sure why anyone would put a bright yellow sticker that basically say "Steal Me!"

What's in the box.

Damn, the skimmer is big! Does it fit in the sump? I planned for it but still have to make sure.

Whewww! Just made it. Perfect!

Time for a test drive. These rocks are for the new tank.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 10/27/2016, 07:36 PM   #34
this is me
Registered Member

BBK Deluxe 300 initial run. I'm very impressed by the performance of a skimmer that just came out of the box. Dead silent(except for the foaming sound)

Unread 10/27/2016, 07:53 PM   #35
IvanTheTerrible
Fish Nerd

Very nice build. Can't wait to see it finished.

Ivan

Current Tank Info: Slowly stocking....
IvanTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2016, 08:51 PM   #36
slief
RC Sponsor

Damn. Nice build!!! That skimmer looks like it's running great already! Plenty of dissolved organics to keep it going there!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2016, 05:30 PM   #37
scubadan206
Registered Member

Well done! I agree 80K was a joke of an estimate. I would have suggested spray-foam instead of regular insulation as it is much more efficient.
The tank is a great size, but with a whole fishroom I would have expected a larger sump. I think you're planning something......

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2016, 08:02 PM   #38
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206 View Post
Well done! I agree 80K was a joke of an estimate. I would have suggested spray-foam instead of regular insulation as it is much more efficient.
The tank is a great size, but with a whole fishroom I would have expected a larger sump. I think you're planning something......
Hehehe. I think the skimmer is so big that it makes the sump looks small. The sump dimension is 40x20x18 ~65gallons.
I also will be using my previous Elos system 70 tank as a refugium.

Unread 11/01/2016, 08:02 PM   #39
this is me
Registered Member

Time to say hello to this very old friend of mine.

Giesmann 72" Spectra. 3x250W SE & 4x80W T5. I bought it from a friend who was going to set up a big tank but was unable to make it happen. The light is brand new and it has been sitting in the box for almost 4 years. I unwired everything before I put into storage. Last night, I took it out and rewired it.

Yayyy, we have dawn and dust. But what the heck? Why is the color so weird? Ooohh! looks like my friend bought some really strange combo. 2xActinic plus, 1x blue plus, 1x purple plus. Lol
These bulbs will be changed to 2xblue plus and 2x super actinic.

For the MH, looks like he got the Elos 14K bulbs. One bulb is broken but I knew that and it's on order.

Unread 11/01/2016, 08:03 PM   #40
this is me
Registered Member

Today is a good day.
The movers came and got the tank moved. When they got off their trucks, I was concern right away. Only 4 of them! and looks very "experienced" if you know what I mean.
I was listening to them and had the impression that none of them brought a fork life or a pallet jack. Then one of the guys confirmed that there was no pallet jack on any of their trucks that they brought. Only a lift gate for power equipment. And doesn't seem that they know what a suction cup either. Oh Boy!! The 4 of them tried to lift the tank and right a way, one guy said this ain't 650lbs that the sale guy told him. It's more like 850lbs and I think he's right. They said they will need to call for more help. The phone call was made and there was no help available. I was like, this is going to be a disaster. I'm not sure if I want to watch this.

But I had to trust these guys and let them do their thing. Throughout the whole time, they were very confident and clever at using their tools and rigging experience. Metal bars to roll the pallet away from the wall. 3 guys lift one side of the pallet and the other guy slid a dolly under it. Repeat on the other side so that they can roll the pallet with the tank on it to the lift gate.

They use the lift gate for doing the lifting to get to the height they want.

Then they slid the pallet onto an oversized dolly with massive wheels. (I need to get one of these)

Time to roll it to the back

Unread 11/01/2016, 08:05 PM   #41
this is me
Registered Member

Gotta love the oversized wheels on that dolly. Crush stone pavement? No problem.

Strengthen the ramp

Again, they used their rigging experience and got the tank onto the stand without any issue. They were in and out of the property with the tank on the stand and leveled without a single scratch within an hour.

Unread 11/01/2016, 08:05 PM   #42
this is me
Registered Member

I thought I would never see the day where I can stick a hose in this tank and do a water test. But at last! It's happening.

I can only fill the tank up to the returns line but no issue so far. The built quality is pretty amazing from Miracles.

The beast! I will let the water sit in the tank for a couple more days to see if there's any issue with the tank before I can plumb it and aquascape it.
400lbs of sand is coming Thursday and the liverocks are ready in the bin.

Unread 11/02/2016, 08:22 AM   #43
scubadan206
Registered Member

Give those guys a bonus. They did well.
Nothing like having the "experienced" pros who know all the tricks, huh.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2016, 08:37 AM   #44
biecacka
Registered Member

Amazing looking work on the basement and on the set up of the tank. You will LOVE that skimmer, they are amazing poop cleaning machines! mine is much smaller and still keeps up with my tank very easily as they are rated conservative to say the least.
Keep up the good work

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2016, 09:02 PM   #45
this is me
Registered Member

Spent pretty much all weekend working on the tank.
Saturday was pretty much a plumbing day. Went to Lowes and basically bought half of their stock lol. Walked out with about $500 worth of plumbing pieces. I bought everything that I think I need and will just return what I don't need when the plumbing is done. I'm sick of driving back and forth in the middle of the job because I don't have that piece.
I completed the plumbing Saturday afternoon and waited about 4 hours to run the tank/sump overnight.

Bean Animal style overflow. I didn't use a lot of union because I know this is not final. I just want to get the tank going and tweak it after I'm more familiar with the set up. It's very likely you will change something after a couple months in.

Unread 11/06/2016, 09:02 PM   #46
this is me
Registered Member

Today, with the DLS ends, I woke up pretty early and started to drain all the tap water out of the tank. To day is our Aquascaping Day.

Dumped about 360lbs of CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand.

Wife helped me flattened it.

Unread 11/06/2016, 09:03 PM   #47
this is me
Registered Member

Now it's ready for some rocks.
I took the rocks out of the bin that has been sitting there since last year. These are rocks from Bulk Reef Supply Dried Fiji Liverock and some the BRS members.

This is a killer piece

The King
This piece has a lot of history. It's the very first piece that I bought from Sea World Salem, NH. It has been with me for over 13 years. 29 gallons it was there, 40gallon cube, it was there, Elos System 70, it was there. Unfortunately, I started with all new rocks with the Elos 160XL and the king has been sitting in the bin.

Unread 11/06/2016, 09:03 PM   #48
this is me
Registered Member

Now for the real aquascape. I've been thinking for the past couple months as to how to aquascape this. It's a peninsula tank with 3 view-able sides. And with such a wide tank, all the 3 sides need to appealing. I always like the two island idea. However, with this tank, it will look just like two piles of rocks.
One day, while cleaning my office desk, I noticed the traveling book of Hawaii. I thought of doing the Hawaiian Islands right away. But to get the whole thing in the tank, the tank will need to be pretty long. I've been to Maui a couple times so I zoomed into the map and came up with Maui and the surrounding islands of Molaka'i, Lanai, Kaho'olawe.
The stretch looks like this and this is what I followed.

With some water

I only had enough water to fill half of the tank. More coming tomorrow

Unread 11/06/2016, 09:04 PM   #49
this is me
Registered Member

The concept map.

The resulting aquascape

Unread 11/06/2016, 10:11 PM   #50
GSMclowns
A Reef Enthusiast

Very nice aquascape.

·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. >((((º>
GSMclowns is offline   Reply With Quote