Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2016, 03:08 AM   #51
Adamc1303
Registered Member

Really cool build thread! Very nice aquascape!

Unread 11/07/2016, 01:08 PM   #52
scar79
Registered Member

Love the aquascape and concept, but I feel that once you add corals and they start to grow out, the tank may start to feel cramped as the dead space between the rock structures and between the rock and glass get filled up. I know you've already scaped and added water, but it's easier modified now than a year down the road.

Obviously just my opinion - really loving the workmanship and direction of this build. Keep it up!

scar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2016, 01:12 PM   #53
biecacka
Registered Member

Very good concept. Can we get a top down photo?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2016, 10:30 PM   #54
steelersfan
Registered Member

Very nice Nick. Congrats!!!!

Current Tank Info: Elos 160XL with Custom Steel Stand
steelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 09:13 PM   #55
this is me
Registered Member

The myth, the legend, the Radium.
Time for me to experience this legendary light.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2016, 09:13 PM   #56
this is me
Registered Member

Let there be light!
Currently running Giesmann 72" Spectra with the following combination. I think the T5 ballast in the Spectra is over driving the T5. I've never seen Blue Plus being this white.
3x250W Radium
2x80W Giesmann Super Actinic
2x80W ATI Blue Plus

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 11/15/2016, 09:14 PM   #57
this is me
Registered Member

Unread 11/16/2016, 04:39 AM   #58
Achilles Torben
Registered Member

Great Rockwork!

Grüße Torben

Gesendet mit Tapatalk

Achilles Torben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 05:19 AM   #59
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Very impressive work thus far. And you've never done it before... even better.

Exactly what I was thinking. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2016, 09:49 PM   #60
this is me
Registered Member

Update on the tank.
The tank has been running for ~3 weeks. Livestocks have been settling down for the last two weeks. No casualty so far. In fact, I've added 3 more yellow tangs and 5 more Lyretail Anthias. I love big group of fish. I rather have a group of the same specie fish than individual of different species fishes. The interaction among the group is very fun to watch.

I shouldn't have taken pictures with the feeding being active since it draws all the fish to one side of the tank.

Unread 12/02/2016, 09:50 PM   #61
this is me
Registered Member

Lots of fish. Lol

Unread 12/02/2016, 10:39 PM   #62
worm5406
Not afriad to admit wrong

WOW... Nice update.

Very good pictures.

I really like this one:

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
worm5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 08:45 AM   #63
this is me
Registered Member

Thanks! That Elos will be missed. The new owner of the Elos has picked up the tank yesterday.

Here's a video of the Miracle 360G. Everything is settling down. I will have to see what this single Giesmann fixture is capable of.

Watch in 4K!

Unread 12/05/2016, 10:02 AM   #64
worm5406

Very nice update. I like the way the anemones are placed and how they move in the flow.

Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated.

Current Tank Info: Tank:300g Mixed Reef 300+lb LR|4" LS|5x MP40W|75g fuge|5x RadionPRO|RO DB250 skimmer|Apex
Unread 12/05/2016, 11:30 AM   #65
dave.m
Registered Member

Great looking set-up. A real inspiration for us all!

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 02:21 PM   #66
reefmutt
Registered Member

Late again... subscribed. I haven't even gone through this thread... I'll be back.
Looks awesome, though.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 02:33 PM   #67
markalot

Looking great!

Unread 12/05/2016, 04:30 PM   #68
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

How long have you had your coral colonies? They have great growth. Have you always used halides and T5's vs. LED?

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2016, 05:57 PM   #69
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Wow. Nick that was some impressive work done in the basement. The tank looks absolutely smashing. I've followed your tanks for some years and each time it gets a lot more impressive.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 08:47 AM   #70
this is me
Registered Member

Thanks guys. The tank set up is still being tuned. I did my second water change last night and it didn't go very smoothly lol.
With the new set up, I decided to turn off the return pump(water drained from the return line into the sump). The sump was pretty full and it should be able to handle the back siphon from the return lines. The sump total volume is about 60gallons. I figure it would be somewhere in the high 40s gallons if I just drain the sump for the water change.
Well, as I was draining the sump, I smell something burning. You guessed it, the heaters in the sump were on and I didn't realize that. I usually have the Profilux set up such that it turns the skimmer off, return off, during maintenance but I used to drain from the display in the previous tank set up. As I was panicking on what to do, I knocked one of the heaters down from the holder and it crashes and smashed. Okay, great! I have broken glasses on the bottom of the sump and I was more worried about the potential hazardous chemical in the heater.
I ended up draining and clean out the sump entirely with a wet vac. Inspect the broken Eheim heater and all I can see is broken glass cover and metal coils. I didn't see anything ooze out of it.
When I woke up this morning, I went down to inspect the tank right away. Everything seems to be normal. I have to find a better way to do water change or at least think more carefully before doing it.

Unread 12/06/2016, 08:53 AM   #71
this is me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRESOURCE View Post
How long have you had your coral colonies? They have great growth. Have you always used halides and T5's vs. LED?
I've always been a MH and T5 combo guy. They work for me and they work well. I've played with Elos LED strips and Pacific Sun LED(3 channnels) and did not like the result I was getting. Not to mention the wasted money I spent on them. Now, I can't even give them away lol. But that was years ago and now LEDs are much more capable(from what I've seen) with the full spectrum fixture.
I was actually thinking about either adding another Spectra Fixture like the one I've using now or go with 6 Radion G4 Pro. But I should really wait and see what this single Spectra fixture can do.
Heat is never an issue for me. I actually don't have enough of it. The current set up is in our basement and I kept the space at 65 degrees. The heaters are constantly on to keep the water at 76 degrees. Even with the full halides and T5 being on. I haven't seen it past 76.5 degrees. In the summer time, the basement(without anything heating or cooling) is a cool 62 degrees.

Unread 12/06/2016, 09:57 AM   #72
worm5406

Heater Problems --

Over the years I have had all sorts of heaters. From cracked tubes to cracked housings. I have even helped one company with problems on their heaters, and got refunded because of the issue and help.

About 2 years ago I finally found one that i have had ZERO issues with. It was the Finnex 800W setup, actually two of them. I pulled all my other heaters and now only use them to heat up SW mixing station. Take a look at them and see if they meet your needs.

I have one in the sump and one in the 120.

Unread 12/06/2016, 10:08 AM   #73
this is me
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion on the titanium heater.
It's not the heater's problem. The problem was me not being careful and drop an out of the water hot heater into the tank. I've been using these Ehiems(controlled by a controller) for many years without any issue. They're actually quite robust as I've knocked them around before when they're not on and I thought they could handle quite a bit of abuse. Just not when they're hot.

Unread 12/06/2016, 10:08 AM   #74
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Do you have an Apex or comparable controller? You can setup a water change mode so heaters OFF, return OFF, and SKIMMER OFF can be set. Also, if you have room in your fish room, you can do auto water changes at 2.5 Gallons/day.

My water conditions are steady and dialed in...I use the DOS dosing for anything out of wack...but, add MG daily. Otherwise, CA Reactor does the job very well.

Then, you don't have to worry about draining the sump and temperature, salinity, ph variations since the change is so minimal daily.

If your inclined, visit my post here at Large Reef Tanks to see my setup.

You have an awesome tank.

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2016, 10:12 AM   #75
this is me
Registered Member

Thanks Advresource.
I have a Profilux and it can be programmed. It just that I haven't gotten a chance to and I usually drain the water from the display and never have to think about the heater in the sump.
I just wasn't careful last night and still getting familiar with the new set up.