Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/11/2016, 08:13 PM   #1
twreefer
Registered Member

Angry AI Hydra software sucks, "support" sucks more

I am regretting ever shelling out $350 each for the AI Hydra 26 HDs. In hindsight, I should have just paid a little more and got the Ecotech Radions. If you are considering the AI Hydras, run far away.

Hardware - the lights themselves are awesome, however...

Software - Poorly developed, non-intuitive, difficult to change schedules, crashes often.

Defects - One of my lights works great when controlled manually, works great when using the test mode for the schedule, but when it comes to activating on schedule it just remains off and never does a thing. (The other light works perfectly).

Support - Terrible. All they can offer is restart the light, remove and re-add to the app, delete and recreate schedule. Did all that, many times, and the behavior of the light stays the same and never activates on the automatic schedule. So you would think the light is a lemon and needs replacing, which should be an easy process. It's not. Provided all my info and serial number multiple times at AI's request, and they finally just say "call us", without the slightest effort to even include a phone number.

Even if they replace the light at this point (and they can't even clearly articulate that they will), I will still be stuck with crappy software. Had both lights worked perfectly, I would still be underwhelmed, especially at $350 a pop.

If you're thinking of buying an AI Hydra HD, run away. Get a Radion.

twreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Loosetenticle
Registered Member

First experience with them and im agreeing. I requested their help and they told me to look here on reef central

Loosetenticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 06:35 PM   #3
ggdowski
Registered Member

I have had AI Prime HDs for a number of years and have not had these problems. I find the software somewhat straightforward. There are some caveats to that. For example, using two finger maneuvers on my iPad work great -- but I never knew about them until reading it here.

There is also a preset load feature that is a bit unobvious, but once you know how to use it -- it works great.

ggdowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 06:42 PM   #4
Optionman
Registered Member

I had a terrible terrible problem until I figured out how to properly access them using iPhone app. Haven’t had an issue since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2017, 06:45 PM   #5
ggdowski
Registered Member

Agreed. It is a little twisted, such that you have to connect to them directly the first time to get them on your network. That said, I have other things in the house that use the same technique. Bad *** Fans does the same thing.

ggdowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 09:25 AM   #6
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twreefer View Post
If you're thinking of buying an AI Hydra HD, run away. Get a Radion.
Never had you issues, I own Hydra Twenty Six's non HD. But you realize EcoTech and AI are the same company right, they merged back in 2014.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2017, 10:03 AM   #7
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I've used the 26hd and 52hd and both work just fine. you can do more with the app than a browser. I'm a software developer and IMHO, the AI app works just fine. It could use a few more features, but I think for the sake of simplicity, it is fine as it is.

as for support in general (not AI specific), speaking in a nice tone and saying please and thank you can get you way better result than screaming angrily at the support person.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 03:40 AM   #8
sonoma2nv
Registered Member

That.s sad to hear ,i dealt with them before EcoTech Marine bought them out when i had the original hydras back in the day had some leds burn out past warranty and they shipped me all new led pucks free of charge.sad they don't look after there customers like that any more.I still use there hydra 52's and love em fingers crossed nothing goes wrong .

sonoma2nv is offline   Reply With Quote