Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2017, 09:30 AM   #1001
VJV
Registered Member

That is correct. I believe you are right too. I am dying to go for a Spectra as well, as it would be the cheapest way to light my 80inch long tank. I want to have a single fixture to minimize clutter. The 60'' Matrixx I would say is good for 60inches as the T5's coverage does not extend much beyond the length of the tubes. However, the T5's already put out a lot of heat so having a 72'' Spectra with 3x250w MH kind of scares me away from that...

VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 09:53 AM   #1002
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

A 60" T5 easily covers 72". You will just have to be selective on what goes in the very edges of the tank. Move the rock work 6" off each side though and you're only having to light 68". Low light SPS or LPS will do just fine. For years I've run shorter fixtures than tank with little issue

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 10:36 AM   #1003
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJV View Post
A word of caution: I tried to run the original E5s in my Giesemann Matrix ii 8x80 dimmtec and they would only last a couple of weeks before they would die. The distributor sent me a replacement and the same thing happened. Than the ballast of the channel that was running them also died. Giesemann promptly sent me a new one but advised me against running the E5s on their unit. My !atrix was 6 months old at the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for the heads up. Glad to hear spectra should be ok.

Unread 09/22/2017, 11:02 AM   #1004
VJV
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
A 60" T5 easily covers 72". You will just have to be selective on what goes in the very edges of the tank. Move the rock work 6" off each side though and you're only having to light 68". Low light SPS or LPS will do just fine. For years I've run shorter fixtures than tank with little issue
Yes, but my tank is 80 inches and one of the ceramic rock structures is designed to sit flush to the overflow wall (it is a peninsula tank). So the rock work itself is a group of four islands that are 72'' in length. As you point out it covers 72'' assuming you do not have to light anything (or at least only low light stuff) on the 6'' that are left to each side of the 60'' fixture. I like units that run the entire length of the tank (or almost) and the 72'' Spectra would be the closest I could get (and the cheapest, as in Europe Giesemann units cost like half the price of the US. For reference, the largest Aurora Hybrid over here It would cost me 1.600eur, or roughly $US1.900). As a comparison, if I were to use Radion XR30's to get a decent coverage in my tank I would need at least 4, which would cost me over here Eur3.200 or 2x the Giesemann Aurora

VJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 04:04 PM   #1005
gdemos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnseye View Post
I've been using my Spectra for about a year and a half. I've had Radions and an ATI dimmable Sunpower. The Spectra is the best light I've used of all these. Why?

No fans. Despite three 400w halides and four T5 bulbs I don't have any fans running and don't need them. It's a dead quiet fixture. I do run a chiller and if I didn't the water temp would increase. In fact my old chiller failed the other day and my water would get to about 82F. With chiller I'm steady at 78F.

Metal halide. My corals love the MH. They grow towards the bulbs. They don't grow towards the T5s.

It's simple. While I liked the tweaking options of the Radions it was a pain to dial in and I always felt a need to tweak. I have installed a pair of Kessils into my Spectra between the MH bulbs. I did this because I like the florescence that a very blue LED can give. Actinics come close to that, but not as much as LEDs. You use Reefbrite so you understand.

The fixture looks great. Of all the T5 or MH fixtures out there it has the best looking design.

It just works. I've had no problems. Haven't had to change a T5 ballast, but if I did it would be simple. As I mentioned, I installed a pair of Kessils into the Spectra. I've taken the thing apart as much as possible. It's built simply and like a tank.
I have not pulled the trigger yet. My drawback is heat. I got a basement sump with evap cooling fans, tank upstairs in-wall with lights in canopy.
tank can hit 82 if i am not running Central Air. Based on this, i do not think i can go MH without a chiller. Expensive proposition for a good 1/2hp chiller

What are you running for a Chiller

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 04:13 PM   #1006
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
I have not pulled the trigger yet. My drawback is heat. I got a basement sump with evap cooling fans, tank upstairs in-wall with lights in canopy.
tank can hit 82 if i am not running Central Air. Based on this, i do not think i can go MH without a chiller. Expensive proposition for a good 1/2hp chiller

What are you running for a Chiller
Active Aqua Chiller, 1/2 HP. Bought it on Amazon for about $550. Looks exactly like the Aqua Euro chiller at Marine Depot but for less. You know it's the same model, just rebranded. And yes, you'll need a chiller for sure.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 04:28 PM   #1007
gdemos
Registered Member

Thanks i know nothing about chillers. The 1/2 hp unit i was directed to was over $1k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 09/26/2017, 09:07 AM   #1008
gdemos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnseye View Post
Active Aqua Chiller, 1/2 HP. Bought it on Amazon for about $550. Looks exactly like the Aqua Euro chiller at Marine Depot but for less. You know it's the same model, just rebranded. And yes, you'll need a chiller for sure.
thanks John - emailed you some Qs on Chiller

Unread 09/30/2017, 11:15 AM   #1009
Reefer525XL
Registered Member

Selling my 3 months old Spectra if anybody is interest... Can be seen here http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2653109

Unread 10/01/2017, 10:23 AM   #1010
monkiboy
Registered Member

i have a 48" spectra with new bulbs and ballasts and a bunch of other free new convenience extras with it at a silly low price if anyone is looking, thanks!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2653282

monkiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2017, 07:58 PM   #1011
Punchanello
Registered Member

Hi all,

looking at an Aurora over a 5x2x2 mixed tank. If you had the choice would you run the 1500mm over the 1200mm?

I'm also wondering what peoples T5 combo is. Never used T5 so at a loss.

Thanks!

My tank build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647315
Punchanello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 01:15 AM   #1012
ChadOwens
Registered Member

Just got a new Giesemann Aurora 60" and can't get it to turn on. One of my T5s broke in shipping so I only have 3 of 4 installed right now. Would this prevent the unit from turning on? I can't get the LEDs on or any bluetooth signal.

ChadOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 02:08 AM   #1013
Bronx19
Registered Member

No, its rooted.

Bronx19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2017, 08:46 AM   #1014
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Soon will be starting my spectra project. Will be modifying the mesh-spacers to accomodate two Kessil A160's on the outside and a A360W in the middle. Will post pics once it get it going

Unread 11/12/2017, 09:32 AM   #1015
10Seconds
Registered Member

Guess I should post here, just joined the club lest week with a Spectra 72". Love it so far.

10Seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 11:17 AM   #1016
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
Soon will be starting my spectra project. Will be modifying the mesh-spacers to accomodate two Kessil A160's on the outside and a A360W in the middle. Will post pics once it get it going
Reef Cowboy - I'm excited to see this. Kessil + Spectra = awesome. My two favorite lights.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2017, 09:54 PM   #1017
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choss View Post
Reef Cowboy - I'm excited to see this. Kessil + Spectra = awesome. My two favorite lights.
Choss,

Some have done previously, but I find flaws with them since hey usually dont modify the mesh and therefore make it really tought to change bulbs later on.

I will try to make it so the mesh comes off from the top so the kessil lenses can be removed easily allowing the MH housing glass to slide freely.

Will use the kessils for dusk/dawn, bedore and after the halides go on/off.
Will also gry to run an EX5 on each side along with a blue + for blue supplementation.

I agree radiums for main lighting/kessils for blues cant be beat

Unread 11/14/2017, 10:36 PM   #1018
choss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
Choss,

Some have done previously, but I find flaws with them since hey usually dont modify the mesh and therefore make it really tought to change bulbs later on.

I will try to make it so the mesh comes off from the top so the kessil lenses can be removed easily allowing the MH housing glass to slide freely.

Will use the kessils for dusk/dawn, bedore and after the halides go on/off.
Will also gry to run an EX5 on each side along with a blue + for blue supplementation.

I agree radiums for main lighting/kessils for blues cant be beat
I'm running a spectra 24" unit and two kessils on my new build. But I'm simply adding the kessils to the sides to cover a 42" tank. I'm in mid build so I haven't tested this yet. excited to give it a try.

Reef Savvy 96 Gallon Rimless Tank - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2643140

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy 96
choss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 09:27 PM   #1019
10Seconds
Registered Member

After a week of running my 72" Spectra, my 220 tank varies only .5 degree higher than previously per the Temp graph on my Apex. I put a fan in the canopy and the temp graph went back exactly to how it was before, up and down 1 degree. I was worried that I would need a chiller, and I still may in summer (its winter here now) but so far so good.

10Seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2017, 10:46 PM   #1020
Bronx19
Registered Member

What s=is the better fixture, the Spectra or Infinity?

Unread 11/15/2017, 11:51 PM   #1021
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx19 View Post
What s=is the better fixture, the Spectra or Infinity?
Spectra IMO because the Radium is single ended

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2017, 11:04 PM   #1022
ABruce
Registered Member

need some help

I recently acquired a new tank and all the support equipment. The light fixture is a Giesemann four foot. It has four ho florescent tubes, two metal halides and a small bulb maybe a quartz. Circa 2010 If its the same age as everything else. Its a silver fixture if that helps. My issue is it has no ballast or power supply , the light has a cord to a multi pin plug. I have no manual and I am assuming to identify it you would need to have power to read the display as I see no serial number anywhere on it.
I could sure use some advice as to how to identify it and where to find the right components to get it to run.I would love to get it into service.
thanks

ABruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2017, 11:45 AM   #1023
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^^ Contact Coralvue and see if they have a adapter for the plug, I use a the Giesemann ballast that came with it. I think the only tricky fixture is the one with one plug for the whole light, my Infinity models has 3 plugs coming out of it.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 09:22 PM   #1024
gdemos
Registered Member

Razor T5

I posted here earlier debating a spectra. I opted to purchase 2 Razor T5 54W units and leaning toward 2 Orphek V4 Compacts.

I just received the Razor and not sure how to change ballasts when needed. Any Videos or Pics? I took the end plate off and man its tight in there.

I also see that the wire insulation does not enclose fully in the plastic screw on grommet, not sure i like that. I returned one unit due to this and they sent 2 more (one got lost in mail then landed). Both of these have the same issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Greg

Unread 12/12/2017, 10:48 PM   #1025
Bronx19
Registered Member

Picked up a Infinity, should be interesting.