Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2015, 08:13 PM   #676
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fessoclown View Post
Hmmmm. I turned off the AquaBee and it is still doing the breathing thing...
Let me try to describe it...

AquaBee OFF
-I am feeding the skimmer with an MJ1200
-I have the water level set just at the collar
-The exhaust is not underwater but at the waterline
-The skimmer is sitting in 11 inches of water (water is covering the bottom input of the Aquabee
-There is a stream of water coming from the airline (the AquaBee is off)
There is an air sucking or breathing sound coming from the water adjustment pipe every 30-45 seconds. This is causing the water level to fluctuate inside the skimmer a bit.

When I turn on the Aquabee I get great little bubbles that are breaking at the top but as that "breath" from the adjustment pipe happens the foam lowers...then builds up and "breaths" and lowers again...

I can also hear a bit of an annoying gurgle inside the airline

Here's a picture of how I have the exhaust set up...

Here's with the AquaBee on:

Per your other thread, your surging issue is being caused by siphoning as the result of your drain being setup improperly. You need to remove the top elbow and add a T so the drain is vented. Once your drain is vented properly, the issue will go away. This is the correct setup for the drain on that skimmer.

This is the proper drain setup for that skimmer.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2015, 09:02 PM   #677
fessoclown
Dis-Membered

Thanks Slief,
there actually is a T but it was hidden from behind.

Unread 12/02/2015, 08:18 AM   #678
krzyphsygy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fessoclown View Post
It's still doing the "BREATHING" sounding thing.... it chugs along and every 30-35 seconds it makes a sound like air escaping and the foam drops... There is also a constant gurgle sound coming from the airline....

Almost like it's burping....

I don't suppose anyone has a link to the manual for this thing?
It will quite down a little over time but not much. Their is air being sucked in there and it does make noise. Try buying an air silencer from another brand.

krzyphsygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2015, 12:52 PM   #679
andyman
Registered Member

Your fill rate into the skimmer seems a little high. Your skimming very wet. Because of your flow rate try raising your skimmer so that the drain is not underwater but ultimately I think you need a valve to slow the rate your pumping water in.

For the noise from the venturi silicon tube, you can just make your own silencer. Go get yourself a bottle with a lid. A baby bottle could work or any jar with a lid. Drill 2 holes equally spaced. 1 hole that fits the silicon tube perfectly and another hole to let air out. you can either stick your silicon thru the hole or stick a plastic tube into the whole then attach your silicon tube. Your basically making your own baffle to capture the sound waves while letting the air travel out. Works like a charm for me. My H&S is dead silent (well I did install a red dragon dc pump also.)

andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2015, 06:07 PM   #680
krzyphsygy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post
Your fill rate into the skimmer seems a little high. Your skimming very wet. Because of your flow rate try raising your skimmer so that the drain is not underwater but ultimately I think you need a valve to slow the rate your pumping water in.

For the noise from the venturi silicon tube, you can just make your own silencer. Go get yourself a bottle with a lid. A baby bottle could work or any jar with a lid. Drill 2 holes equally spaced. 1 hole that fits the silicon tube perfectly and another hole to let air out. you can either stick your silicon thru the hole or stick a plastic tube into the whole then attach your silicon tube. Your basically making your own baffle to capture the sound waves while letting the air travel out. Works like a charm for me. My H&S is dead silent (well I did install a red dragon dc pump also.)
Very cool, can you shoot some pics of the red dragon on the skimmer and give a little info oncthe install?

Unread 12/08/2015, 12:23 AM   #681
IRISSERVICE
Registered Member

My old skimmer needed a new needle wheel, so i decided to get a new needle wheel and new skimmer

My new toy H&S A-200-1260

MRC Sump Refugium---Circulation Tunze Wave Box---Main Pump - Seq3200 3phase W/ VFD
Cooling

Current Tank Info: 125 gallon Starphire euro braced
IRISSERVICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2015, 08:23 AM   #682
fessoclown
Dis-Membered

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISSERVICE View Post
My old skimmer needed a new needle wheel, so i decided to get a new needle wheel and new skimmer

My new toy H&S A-200-1260

That's awesome. Without the first picture the scale is very deceiving! Have fun with your new toy!

Unread 12/08/2015, 08:30 AM   #683
fessoclown
Dis-Membered

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzyphsygy View Post
It will quite down a little over time but not much. Their is air being sucked in there and it does make noise. Try buying an air silencer from another brand.
Thanks, I will probably try to build one. The gurgle in the line is still a wee bit annoying but once I close the cabinet door I can't hear the skimmer at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman View Post

For now I am feeding the skimmer from my manifold and have set the flow rate properly. The breathing sound and fluctuation of the bubble height has gone away so that confirms that the MJ1200 I was feeding with is too strong.

I saw your thread about attaching the RD pump to your skimmer... pretty awesome!!!!

Here's my H&S after 1 week. I have emptied the cup once already. It is sooooo freakin' black and nasty!!!!

I love this skimmer!

Unread 12/08/2015, 11:42 PM   #684
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Wow nice skimmer, I thought the A200 was a 8'' body.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2015, 11:56 PM   #685
IRISSERVICE
Registered Member

A200 is 200mm = 7.87" so yes 8" body

MRC Sump Refugium---Circulation Tunze Wave Box---Main Pump - Seq3200 3phase W/ VFD
Cooling

Unread 12/09/2015, 12:01 AM   #686
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Thanks, I love that skimmer. I remember Eric/Brian bringing one to show here several years back. How was shipping? I noticed that a 150/2001 internal was somewhere around 250 euros.

Unread 12/09/2015, 08:53 AM   #687
krzyphsygy
Registered Member

Yeessss, finally some new H&S Skimmer blood!! Feels like its been years since I have seen a NEW Skimmer !!!

Tell us more about it? Where did you order it from? Ect

Unread 12/12/2015, 09:48 AM   #688
IRISSERVICE
Registered Member

I always wanted the A200-1260 as I thought it looked badass..lol My A150-2001 has delivered flawless performance many years.when I was tracking down the needle wheel, I was like how much is the A200-1260... I was like I'll take it..

Cooling

Unread 12/12/2015, 09:49 AM   #689
IRISSERVICE
Registered Member

PS....... A150-2001 back in service till I mod my setup to accept this beast..

Cooling

Unread 12/13/2015, 02:06 PM   #690
krzyphsygy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISSERVICE View Post
I always wanted the A200-1260 as I thought it looked badass..lol My A150-2001 has delivered flawless performance many years.when I was tracking down the needle wheel, I was like how much is the A200-1260... I was like I'll take it..
Where did you buy it from?

Unread 12/13/2015, 03:42 PM   #691
IRISSERVICE
Registered Member

i bought it from H&S Directly....
I'm finalizing on becoming the USA Distributor. I have wholesale list in hand and trying to figure what items to stock. My goal will be to stock parts first to get USA customers back in action.

Cooling

Unread 12/13/2015, 05:53 PM   #692
moondoggy4
Registered Member

^^^^^ Funny their site used to be in English as well as German but the the last time I went there it was only in German, could be my old browser. Nice to hear that they-re will be someone on this side of the pond carrying H&S.

Unread 12/14/2015, 07:38 AM   #693
krzyphsygy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
^^^^^ Funny their site used to be in English as well as German but the the last time I went there it was only in German, could be my old browser. Nice to hear that they-re will be someone on this side of the pond carrying H&S.
That's great! About time some one took the rains. I still have my H&S and its nice to know I can get parts in the US or get a new one.

I can tell you right now I am interested in something for my 80 gallon. In sump

Unread 12/14/2015, 08:24 AM   #694
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

That would be great news with having US stock and customer service I have a new 8" x 30" H&S skimmer body just sitting that needs (3) pumps.....quality built skimmer for sure.

Aquatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2015, 12:56 PM   #695
Joe
Registered Member

I still have my A150-F2001 in service with the original Aquabee pump. I've been wondering how I was going to get parts if this pump ever goes.......(it's over eight years old).

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Oceanic Tech Tank, Two MP40W Gen 2 Vortechs, H & S A-150-F2001 External Skimmer, Oceanic Model 3 Sump, Current Outer Orbit Pro 250 Watt MH/T5 Combo
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2015, 03:34 PM   #696
moondoggy4
Registered Member

http://www.shop-meeresaquaristik.de/...ml?language=en I also found this site

Unread 11/19/2017, 06:52 AM   #697
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

My impeller on my 1260 pump for my H&S 200 model has finally died after many, many years of service. Any good source on where I can replace this needle wheel? Or would be it better just to buy a new skimmer after all of these years?

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
thrlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2017, 12:03 PM   #698
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrlride View Post
My impeller on my 1260 pump for my H&S 200 model has finally died after many, many years of service. Any good source on where I can replace this needle wheel? Or would be it better just to buy a new skimmer after all of these years?
Try Aquarium Source they are selling old stock Reef Dynamics aka Euro Reef stuff and have Eheim 1260 impellers, I remember hearing about the SS washers and how hard they were to source so something to think about. Avast as well was selling Eheim skimmer pumps and you can try them as well.

Seawec or something like that in Germany has some old H&S parts laying around as well. If you go with them LMK we can get some impellers together and save on shipping it is about 35 for anything small.

Unread 11/20/2017, 07:02 AM   #699
thrlride
Aka lemmywinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy4 View Post
Try Aquarium Source they are selling old stock Reef Dynamics aka Euro Reef stuff and have Eheim 1260 impellers, I remember hearing about the SS washers and how hard they were to source so something to think about. Avast as well was selling Eheim skimmer pumps and you can try them as well.

Seawec or something like that in Germany has some old H&S parts laying around as well. If you go with them LMK we can get some impellers together and save on shipping it is about 35 for anything small.
Thanks for the reply! I sent them an email asking which one I need. I see where Aquarium Source has two impellers for the Reef Dynamics line. One is a 10-12 model and the other a 14-16. I'm not sure which I need for my 1260.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon FOWLR (H&S 200a-1260 , panworld 50px-x, 2x Vortech w/ WWD)
thrlride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2019, 08:18 AM   #700
i2ik
Registered Member

Well, I feel like this thread is dead, but I wanted to share with you my new addition to my tank. Used to run 2x H&S A200 2x1260 feed directly by the overflow and its been working great!

Recently saw a good deal for the H&S A300 3x1260 and after many thoughts and research for newer skimmers on the market, decided that I would keep going with recirculating skimmers. They are hard to find now and not many companies offers them.

Eheim pumps are among the most reliable on the market, and the most affordable if something would go wrong. Had a problem with 2 Eheim pumps and had to find new pumps and new impellers. They are working as good as the first day I bought them.

[IMG]IMG-2252[/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 600G system in the remaking, back to square one, learning in process!
i2ik is offline   Reply With Quote