Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/09/2017, 01:44 AM   #6576
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Do you think my new bulb line up below will get my sps colored up? Of course assuming all water chemistry is inline.

My new lineup.
◇ Front of Tank
• CH2 • ATI Blue +
• CH1 • Coral + just added
• CH2 • Geisseman Super Actinic
• CH2 • ATI Blue +
• CH1 • Coral + just added
• CH2 • ATI Blue +
◇ Back of Tank

Even more direct question, will I need a purple + to pull the pink colors out of my corals?

CoralNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2017, 04:13 AM   #6577
Big E
Registered Member

CoralNerd,

That should be fine.......you may want to try to raise the coral's placement or lower the fixture closer to the water to improve the pink colors.........more intense light can help.

I use only Coral+ and Blue+ and can pull all acro colors.

I'd pass on the P+

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2017, 07:43 AM   #6578
UKMarineGuy
Registered Member

About to buy a sunpower 8x24w dimmable for a 70x70 30cm deep shallow. Really want the purple / deep blue look for as much pop as possible. All lps corals NO sps.. recommendations tube choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 07/09/2017, 12:45 PM   #6579
Bpb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMarineGuy View Post
About to buy a sunpower 8x24w dimmable for a 70x70 30cm deep shallow. Really want the purple / deep blue look for as much pop as possible. All lps corals NO sps.. recommendations tube choice?

That case I would try one of two combos. First try

3 ati blue+
3 ati true actinic
2 ati purple+

If you don't love it

4 ati blue+
3 ati true actinic
1 ati purple+

The blue+\actinic combo is just lovely to look at. Fits your description perfectly. It is really the next best thing to royal blue LEDs alone. Maybe even better because the overall color is nicer

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2017, 07:52 PM   #6580
dublo8
Registered Member

My current 6bulb configuration. Really want some more blue but I feel like I'm missing some color in my reds/blues. LED really wiped out a lot of color for me (IMO). I also want to keep my current dusk/dawn bulbs in the current order. What do you guys suggest?

front
B+
Actinic
ABS/C+ (been playing with two in this position not sure which one I like)
B+
B+
P+
back

Unread 08/20/2017, 10:28 PM   #6581
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublo8 View Post
My current 6bulb configuration. Really want some more blue but I feel like I'm missing some color in my reds/blues. LED really wiped out a lot of color for me (IMO). I also want to keep my current dusk/dawn bulbs in the current order. What do you guys suggest?

front
B+
Actinic
ABS/C+ (been playing with two in this position not sure which one I like)
B+
B+
P+
back
Your purple bulb is completely wasted in the rear slot like that. Needs to be middle or front of center.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 09:25 PM   #6582
dublo8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Your purple bulb is completely wasted in the rear slot like that. Needs to be middle or front of center.
I agree. I hate the placement of it. I'm thinking of getting rid of the C+/ABS bulb completely and replacing it with another B+.

any recommendations for bulb placement? I really want to keep my actinic and B+ in the Dusk/dawn setup.

Unread 08/21/2017, 09:29 PM   #6583
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
I agree. I hate the placement of it. I'm thinking of getting rid of the C+/ABS bulb completely and replacing it with another B+.

any recommendations for bulb placement? I really want to keep my actinic and B+ in the Dusk/dawn setup.
Blue
Actinic
Blue
Purple
Blue
Blue

Or make your 4 bulb the dusk dawn. I really like 2 Blue, 1 Actinic and 1 Purple for a sweet dusk dawn

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
Unread 08/21/2017, 09:39 PM   #6584
dublo8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtparty View Post
Blue
Actinic
Blue
Purple
Blue
Blue

Or make your 4 bulb the dusk dawn. I really like 2 Blue, 1 Actinic and 1 Purple for a sweet dusk dawn
Thx. for the input. Coming off a LED high and back into the real world of growth and color. I'm an old school halide/ VHO user who went LED and kept buying new fixtures with the expectations that I would get what I wanted. Nope, IMO ZOA's hate LED(lost many colonies). my blue and red SPS suffered tremendously. The only thing that really looked good was my greens and oranges. The shimmer and ramp up/down effect was wonderful but the growth and color suffered. I got about $1500 of high end LED fixtures in the garage for my local club to pick through lol.

Last edited by dublo8; 08/21/2017 at 09:48 PM.
dublo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/21/2017, 09:41 PM   #6585
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Thx. for the input. Coming off a LED high and back into the real world of growth and color. I'm an old school halide/ VHO user who went LED and kept buying new fixtures with the expectations that I would get what I wanted. Nope, IMO ZOA's hate LED(lost many colonies). my blues and reds suffered tremendously. The only thing that really looked good was my greens and oranges. The shimmer and ramp up/down effect was wonderful but the growth and color suffered. I got about $1500 of high end LED fixtures in the garage for my local club to pick through lol.
I tried LEDs for years. Never could find something I loved. Back to a GMann MH/T5 fixture and love it

Unread 08/22/2017, 09:56 AM   #6586
soulpatch
Registered Member

So I am having some color issues with my higher end SPS I have gotten in where I am not getting the pop I want and for some pieces like my Disney I have not gotten the pinks yet.

My fixture is all of perhaps 6 inches off the water inside a custom canopy build. I have a reef brite XHO actinic fixture attached on the front as well. Current bulb layout (that does need changing) is:

Front
Blue +
purple +
Actinic
Coral +
Actinic
Blue +

I really want the pop from my corals but most importantly want to dray out those pinks and other elusive colors I am currently missing. I am getting great growth and my parameters are stable thanks to my calrx.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 04:06 PM   #6587
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
So I am having some color issues with my higher end SPS I have gotten in where I am not getting the pop I want and for some pieces like my Disney I have not gotten the pinks yet.

My fixture is all of perhaps 6 inches off the water inside a custom canopy build. I have a reef brite XHO actinic fixture attached on the front as well. Current bulb layout (that does need changing) is:

Front
Blue +
purple +
Actinic
Coral +
Actinic
Blue +

I really want the pop from my corals but most importantly want to dray out those pinks and other elusive colors I am currently missing. I am getting great growth and my parameters are stable thanks to my calrx.
You need to pay attention to your water parameters more than your lights. Consider testing potassium. I keep mine at 440 ppm. I would orient the tubes as follows:

Front
blue+
coral+
actinic
purple+
actinic
Blue+

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 08:11 PM   #6588
soulpatch
Registered Member

Will do but also realized my bulbs are over 8 months where as I thought they were newer. I'll try these again and have bulbs on the way

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 11:57 AM   #6589
chitown tom
Registered Member

I have a 75 gallon tank that I have converted to an bubble tip anemone only tank.

I run a tek t5 8x54 w 2 channel non dimmable fixture.

I also just ordered a SB reef light actinic 48" bar for some added pop from the nems.

Nine months are up and I need to change the bulbs. I am looking for bulb recommendation that will provide best growth & color pop from the nems.

Here is what I am thinking:

Blue +
Coral +
Blue +
Purple +
Blue +
True Actinic
Blue +
Blue +

Any thoughts?

chitown tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 12:25 PM   #6590
janci
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown tom View Post
I have a 75 gallon tank that I have converted to an bubble tip anemone only tank.

I run a tek t5 8x54 w 2 channel non dimmable fixture.

I also just ordered a SB reef light actinic 48" bar for some added pop from the nems.

Nine months are up and I need to change the bulbs. I am looking for bulb recommendation that will provide best growth & color pop from the nems.

Here is what I am thinking:

Blue +
Coral +
Blue +
Purple +
Blue +
True Actinic
Blue +
Blue +

Any thoughts?
I would replace 1 blue+ by 1 more coral+
But if you like the blues, it will be ok.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

janci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 05:54 AM   #6591
mixedreeflife
Registered Member

I have a ati sunpower 6x39w. So Ive heard the label end should go on the end with the hole, but does it matter whether its facing up or down (i.e. can you see the label or not)? cheers

mixedreeflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2017, 08:29 AM   #6592
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedreeflife View Post
I have a ati sunpower 6x39w. So Ive heard the label end should go on the end with the hole, but does it matter whether its facing up or down (i.e. can you see the label or not)? cheers
No, that does not matter

Unread 09/24/2017, 11:06 AM   #6593
reefslugs
Registered Member

ati

With the ATI bulbs. Does anyone know the par ratings of each different color bulb?

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 200g mixed reef, 65g sump/fugium, 4 Viporspectra LED's, Tunze 2105 x 2 with controller, Simplicity return pump & skimmer, Octopus calcium reactor, lots of love.
reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2017, 11:34 AM   #6594
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefslugs View Post
With the ATI bulbs. Does anyone know the par ratings of each different color bulb?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...pAiNsMwME4/pub

They're all really close

Unread 11/03/2017, 05:56 AM   #6595
stancfii
Registered Member

Looking to supplement 3 250w Radiums over a 180 with 4x80w t5 in a retro kit to both fill in actinic spectrum Radiums lack and give viewing time when halides are off. I also run a diy Cree RB led strip. ATI blue+ looks too green to me so thinking of giesemanns instead. Would kind of like to bring out some reds and purples.

Thoughts:

1. Giesemann actinic blue x 3 and 1 coral or purple plus
2. Gman Super Actinic x 2, gman actinic blue x1, and coral plus or abs
3. Gman super actinic x 2 and ABS x 2
4. 2 blue+, 1 purple+, 1 ge6500k (used to run this on a 40b and loved it)

Thanks for the input!

Unread 11/03/2017, 08:10 AM   #6596
Bpb
Registered Member

The T5 Q&a Thread - split

Quote:
Originally Posted by stancfii View Post
Looking to supplement 3 250w Radiums over a 180 with 4x80w t5 in a retro kit to both fill in actinic spectrum Radiums lack and give viewing time when halides are off. I also run a diy Cree RB led strip. ATI blue+ looks too green to me so thinking of giesemanns instead. Would kind of like to bring out some reds and purples.

Thoughts:

1. Giesemann actinic blue x 3 and 1 coral or purple plus
2. Gman Super Actinic x 2, gman actinic blue x1, and coral plus or abs
3. Gman super actinic x 2 and ABS x 2
4. 2 blue+, 1 purple+, 1 ge6500k (used to run this on a 40b and loved it)

Thanks for the input!

From a looks and spectrum standpoint....I would do 2 giesemann 6500k tropics and 2 giesemann super actinics if you are married to that brand. That will fill in all the deficient 400-440 nm that is low in most other bulbs, and the Tropics give lots of green yellow orange and red to brighten up the tank and develop your red and purple pigments.

The Radiums supply plenty of what the Actinic-blue bulbs provide. You’re not short on any of that. And the 6500k bulbs I am a huge fan of. They really fill out all the wavelengths past blue very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unread 11/03/2017, 01:51 PM   #6597
JustAClownFish
Registered Member

Does anyone have a Coral Plus/Purple Plus combo and could post some pictures?

JustAClownFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2017, 11:44 AM   #6598
jayball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAClownFish View Post
Does anyone have a Coral Plus/Purple Plus combo and could post some pictures?
The last tank shot is a geisman/ ati mix of 2purple and 2 coral.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...pAiNsMwME4/pub

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

jayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 09:05 AM   #6599
mastersonr
Registered Member

Sorry, kinda newbie lighting question that I am sure is buried somewhere in this massive thread. Need some help with the 3- blue plus / 2- coral plus / 1- purple plus ATI combo for my 12 bulb display (6 on each side). What is the recommended placement front to back? I can control bulbs B and D on 1st timer and bulbs A,C,E and F on the second timer. Right now I run 1st timer from 2pm-11pm and 2nd timer from 4pm-10pm. I have softies and LPS in my 150. Thanks for any suggestions!

Current Tank Info: 150g softie tank
mastersonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/19/2017, 09:22 AM   #6600
Bpb
Registered Member

Blue+ and purple+ on B/D channel is a very nice look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro