Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2014, 05:06 PM   #101
biggles
Registered Member

Hey Mike

Yes the same adjustment on each photo mate. Actually i went with 110 on the green for these two so once you work out any minor tweak you may need to make because i can't see the real colors like you, just apply that adjustment to all pics - you don't have to apply different settings for every pic if that's what you're worried about lol.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2014, 06:03 PM   #102
glaukos
Registered Member

Lol

Thank you soooo much for the tips and the time it took you to correct the photos!
I really appreciate it!!

glaukos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2014, 10:54 PM   #103
Bello
Registered Member

Nice edit biggles

Mike, there seems to be a new KZ product, CyanoClean, haven't used it, so dunno.

Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 12:51 PM   #104
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post

Wow! Things are looking good!

Love this picture.

Current Tank Info: Custom drilled 20L with sump/refugium, BM 3 Plus skimmer, 2 MP10, mixed reef.
Fail_sh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 01:01 PM   #105
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
Nice edit biggles

Mike, there seems to be a new KZ product, CyanoClean, haven't used it, so dunno.
Hi bello!
Sorry for the late reply buddy.
Yes i knew about this product and bought it but it didn't help at all.
At least in my case

I tried dosing every day and even overdosing but nothing happened.
It's almost a months now using it.
Also mixed it with coral snow,a combination that i heard worked for other guys but also zero results.

I'm very close ending up using chemi clean.
It's now 2,5 months that cyano is giving me a hard time.
Having said that,corals are doing great and some even have very good colors.
Been siphoning almost every piece of it with every WC but after 2-3 days it comes back.
Mostly on the sand(CC).Circulation there is really really more than enough or strong
I blame bio pellets but wouldn't 2,5 months be enough as a break in period?
P04 and no3 are both zero(at least that's what the test read)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fail_sh3d View Post
Wow! Things are looking good!

Love this picture.
Thanks failshed buddy,glad you like it
I also love that picture...god bless biggles for correcting the colors!

And a recent fts.
Sorry about the bad quality and cyano.In the next few days another WC is planned so the other batch will be a bit better

Απο 2177 by mad23_, on Flickr

Unread 02/27/2014, 03:51 PM   #106
ifarmer
Registered Member

did you add sand afterward?

ifarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2014, 04:03 PM   #107
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

The thing with Chemiclean is that sometimes the Cyano comes back...or gets replaced with something worse like Dinoflagellates...the later happened to me.

You can try this perhaps:

1. At the end of a day siphon out as MUCH as you can. Then carry out 20% water change.

2. Lights out for 3 days. Total darkness.

3. Lights back on after the 3 day blackout. But run lights for only 4 hours.

4. It will likely come back, but should be weaker. After a 4-5 day recovery for the corals repeat again.

Each time it should get weaker. Keep an eye on parameters and adjust reactor/doser to keep levels in line during this period as growth will be affected.

If it doesnt, then I would take out 1/3 of the Biopellets out the reactor. I dont know why, but when I've recommended this to a buddy, his Cyano issue got much better. IMO it is the Biopellets which is most likely causing this.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2014, 01:25 AM   #108
Bello
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the Cyano problems

How long have you been carbon dosing/biopellets? I've dealt with them a few times in the past. Most recently, during my ongoing AEFW battle, had a bit of a cyano outbreak. Was doing very little carbon dosing at the time. Since I didn't want to deal with multiple issues (AEFW and Cyano) at the same time, I took the shortcut. Stopped carbon dosing, and used Ultralife Red Slime Remover. Cyano went, and is replaced by some other slower growing brown algae. This is because I didn't attack the source, so nutrients would still be present.

With this tank, just after cycling with Zeo, I had a major Cyano infestation. This was unusual. I realized that because I used dead dirty rock during the cycle, plenty of nutrients were leaching out. I raised the zeo filtration levels, filtering more aggressively. Got rid of cyano that way, however, the extra low nutrients coupled with my very high led lighting ensured that my sps were unhappy. I wouldn't go this away in your case, just some info .

I'd guess that your rock is still leaching some nutrients, although you do have very little rock . BTW, I love the amount of open space in the scape, beautiful

Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2014, 11:06 AM   #109
brad65ford
Registered Member

glaukos,

Sorry so late to the party (your thread), I wanted to say mad props to your dedication and amazing hard work it shows!!

If you would could you please explain a little bit about your venture with sps with BB in the past with basically running just a skimmer? I see you are now running thicker substrate and also a reactor (biopellets) correct? Would love to hear your thoughts since you have shown some great success and wondering if you have found some new success in which you would not do something again from your past.

Best,
Brad

Unread 02/28/2014, 12:59 PM   #110
biggles
Registered Member

I think it's looking bloody awesome Mike.

I'd suggest cutting back on the blue loo dosing though........

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2014, 10:52 AM   #111
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifarmer View Post
did you add sand afterward?
Yes ifarmer,i did.
Do you think that is playing a role?
At the start of it,i thought that it was caused by all of the life that was on the bottom glass and died under the CC.
But after 6 months and siphoning the sand during each WC i think it must be something else.
Maybe the pellets.

Unread 03/01/2014, 10:59 AM   #112
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
The thing with Chemiclean is that sometimes the Cyano comes back...or gets replaced with something worse like Dinoflagellates...the later happened to me.

You can try this perhaps:

1. At the end of a day siphon out as MUCH as you can. Then carry out 20% water change.

2. Lights out for 3 days. Total darkness.

3. Lights back on after the 3 day blackout. But run lights for only 4 hours.

4. It will likely come back, but should be weaker. After a 4-5 day recovery for the corals repeat again.

Each time it should get weaker. Keep an eye on parameters and adjust reactor/doser to keep levels in line during this period as growth will be affected.

If it doesnt, then I would take out 1/3 of the Biopellets out the reactor. I dont know why, but when I've recommended this to a buddy, his Cyano issue got much better. IMO it is the Biopellets which is most likely causing this.
I also think that it has sometning to do with the pellets but i don't know exactly what.
Afterall i have only 200ml when the recomended dose is 1000-1200ml for my water volume.
Maybe i'll give a try to your suggested tactic.
The only thing that scares me is that maybe it will affect the corals,which by the way are doing great dispite the long period of cyano.
Thanks for the tips buddy

Unread 03/01/2014, 11:08 AM   #113
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
Sorry to hear about the Cyano problems

How long have you been carbon dosing/biopellets? I've dealt with them a few times in the past. Most recently, during my ongoing AEFW battle, had a bit of a cyano outbreak. Was doing very little carbon dosing at the time. Since I didn't want to deal with multiple issues (AEFW and Cyano) at the same time, I took the shortcut. Stopped carbon dosing, and used Ultralife Red Slime Remover. Cyano went, and is replaced by some other slower growing brown algae. This is because I didn't attack the source, so nutrients would still be present.

With this tank, just after cycling with Zeo, I had a major Cyano infestation. This was unusual. I realized that because I used dead dirty rock during the cycle, plenty of nutrients were leaching out. I raised the zeo filtration levels, filtering more aggressively. Got rid of cyano that way, however, the extra low nutrients coupled with my very high led lighting ensured that my sps were unhappy. I wouldn't go this away in your case, just some info .

I'd guess that your rock is still leaching some nutrients, although you do have very little rock . BTW, I love the amount of open space in the scape, beautiful
I have the vertex pellets for 2,5 months bello.
All this time i siphon every sinlge spot(3 hours of my time) of cyano and it is still coming back.
I don't want to use chemi clean.Prefer to find and deal with it's source.
You have a good point with the dead rock but it's 6-7 months after i used it and many many WC's during this time,with lots of circulation.
Thanks for the tips.

Thank you very much buddy,really glad you like the scape

Unread 03/01/2014, 11:09 AM   #114
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaukos View Post
I also think that it has sometning to do with the pellets but i don't know exactly what.
Afterall i have only 200ml when the recomended dose is 1000-1200ml for my water volume.
Maybe i'll give a try to your suggested tactic.
The only thing that scares me is that maybe it will affect the corals,which by the way are doing great dispite the long period of cyano.
Thanks for the tips buddy
Since you are already using a low amount, scrap the idea about reducing them further.

3 day blackouts are perfectly fine for SPS, I've gone upto 5 days before. That should be enough to kill the Cyano. Then hopefully normal bacterial flora will take over. If they come back, try again after giving the tank a weeks recovery period.

Unread 03/01/2014, 11:33 AM   #115
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad65ford View Post
glaukos,

Sorry so late to the party (your thread), I wanted to say mad props to your dedication and amazing hard work it shows!!

If you would could you please explain a little bit about your venture with sps with BB in the past with basically running just a skimmer? I see you are now running thicker substrate and also a reactor (biopellets) correct? Would love to hear your thoughts since you have shown some great success and wondering if you have found some new success in which you would not do something again from your past.

Best,
Brad
Better late than never brad.Really happy you come along
Thank you for your good words,you are too kind and i appreciate them very much

In my humble opinion and experience with the previous setup,the first thing that made my life easy and working the tank basically,with a skimmer and bi-weekly WC's,was that i had only one big fish(tang) and a small(mandarine).
So the water wasn't beeing so "polluted" with food and poo,compared to my previous crowded tanks.
I think if it was more stocked with fishies it wouldn't work.At least for me.

Thank you vey much for thinking of it as a success,but this is nothing compared to the skills and tanks,that other friends on RC have.
Thank you again, though!

I did put CC which holds more "dirt"(everything that this term includes) so it can feed my pellets.I still have only two fish and the food that goes in the tank is still not enough.That's why i chose CC.

The only thing from the past i personally wouldn't do again is having-working a complicated tank with lots of parameters to think-take care.
I prefer to have it grounded in 1-2 basic things(equipment-methods etc).
At the moment it's based on bio-pellets(if they eventually work for me) and a good skimmer.

Thanks again for your kind words brad

Unread 03/01/2014, 11:39 AM   #116
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
I think it's looking bloody awesome Mike.

I'd suggest cutting back on the blue loo dosing though........

You always make me smile biggles!
I'll surely cut back on the new blueloo

I'm very happy you like it buddy,it means a lot to me!

1000 thanks for spending time to fix the photo!
You made it possible to see corals that weren't there with the blueloo stuff
One day i will learn and have the skills to do it myself

Unread 03/01/2014, 11:45 AM   #117
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Since you are already using a low amount, scrap the idea about reducing them further.

3 day blackouts are perfectly fine for SPS, I've gone upto 5 days before. That should be enough to kill the Cyano. Then hopefully normal bacterial flora will take over. If they come back, try again after giving the tank a weeks recovery period.
Thanks for the tips sahin buddy.
I'll surelly have it as a solution.
The weird thing in it's behaviour is that 1-2 hours before the lights go out it has almost disapeared!!!
In the early hours of the day...say 8 o'clock for example.....there is absolutely NO SIGN of cyano in the tank.

Unread 03/01/2014, 11:49 AM   #118
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Thanks for the tips sahin buddy.
I'll surelly have it as a solution.
The weird thing in it's behaviour is that 1-2 hours before the lights go out it has almost disapeared!!!
In the early hours of the day...say 8 o'clock for example.....there is absolutely NO SIGN of cyano in the tank.
Hmmm...any chance of a few photos with JUST white light/using camera flash and bo blue lights so that I can see what this "Cyano" looks like?

Unread 03/01/2014, 11:58 AM   #119
glaukos
Registered Member

The other things that troubles me is that despite the cyano problem corals are growing very fast.
Maybe what feeds the cyano is food for the corals also!

Απο 877 by mad23_, on Flickr

Απο 2191 by mad23_, on Flickr

and another guy that is having a bad day with cyano besides me!lol

Απο 2056 by mad23_, on Flickr

Unread 03/01/2014, 02:50 PM   #120
msudiver1
Registered Member

Awesome tank. I love the aqua scape. Did you use acrylic rods or epoxy fit the rocks together?

msudiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2014, 10:57 AM   #121
glaukos
Registered Member

Thank you so much msudiver,really glad you like it!Means a lot to me.
Sorry for the late response.

I used fauna marine scape foam and it did an awesome job.
The epoxy parts that shows in the photos are there just to cover the exposed foam(due to the fact that fish can easily eat it) not to hold the rocks together.

Thanks again for your kind words

Unread 03/04/2014, 06:05 PM   #122
glaukos
Registered Member

I wanted to share many many photos but for some reason my internet connection is crawliiiiiiiing today....

Απο 2289 by mad23_, on Flickr

Απο 2258 by mad23_, on Flickr

Απο 2264 by mad23_, on Flickr

Απο 2281 by mad23_, on Flickr

I hope my connection will be ok in the next days so i can share the other corals also.

Sorry for the usual bad pic quality

Unread 03/04/2014, 06:06 PM   #123
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Quote:
I wanted to share many many photos but for some reason my internet connection is crawliiiiiiiing today....

Απο 2289 by mad23_, on Flickr

Απο 2258 by mad23_, on Flickr

Απο 2264 by mad23_, on Flickr

Απο 2281 by mad23_, on Flickr

I hope my connection will be ok in the next days so i can share the other corals also.

Sorry for the usual bad pic quality
Things are looking great, buddy! That cap is nuts!

Current Tank Info: Custom drilled 20L with sump/refugium, BM 3 Plus skimmer, 2 MP10, mixed reef.
Fail_sh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2014, 07:20 PM   #124
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Looking good Mike! That last acro looks sweet! Looks like little lights growing all over that acro!

Unread 03/05/2014, 05:21 PM   #125
glaukos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fail_sh3d View Post
Things are looking great, buddy! That cap is nuts!
thanks failshed buddy!
That cap is one of my favorite corals.
Can't wait for it to make some more plates.

Quote:
Looking good Mike! That last acro looks sweet! Looks like little lights growing all over that acro!
Thanks sahin,glad you like it!
Loved the the description you made for the last acro