Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2014, 05:14 PM   #276
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks, Portsie. I'm glad you find it interesting! I was wondering about the pics. Haven't gotten much response to them lately. I thought maybe everyone was tired of my lousy pics!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2014, 05:15 PM   #277
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Karim, please elaborate!

Unread 10/01/2014, 06:42 PM   #278
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Do you mean it adds to the nutrient load? So bacteria population levels rise to meet the load, and this accelerates the nitrogen cycle?

Unread 10/01/2014, 08:18 PM   #279
JLynn
Registered Member

If I understood him correctly, karim meant that base cured live rock would add to the bacteria population directly. Cured live rock is live rock that has been sitting in tanks for a while and has already cycled, so that beyond the small die-off and resulting nano-cycle that will occur due to the transportation period, you will have stable bacteria populations from the get-go. If you get that rock locally (there is probably an LFS in your city or at least in a nearby city that offers this), then the die-off and cycle are even smaller, so much so that it probably won't even be noticeable.

And as for the photos... well, artistically speaking, they aren't particularly good photos, but the subject matter certainly is good, and that's what we are really interested in, anyways! So by all means, keep posting them. I don't normally comment on them, because I feel ridiculous when I repeatedly say "It looks so great!" over and over again (I just have this thing about redundancy...), but it is always nice to be able to see what is going on in the tank. Pictures are worth a thousand words, and all of that. I just figure I should hold off on commenting regularly on the ones where I don't have anything of substance to say. Besides, I fully anticipate years of pictures to come to comment on. And maybe someday you will take a photography class, too.

JLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2014, 09:46 PM   #280
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ah, I see what you mean. It adds to the bacteria population. I didn't think of it because I plan to use uncured rock, which would start out as a burden, before it cures. I may still cure it externally, but it would be cool to put it right in the tank, where I can observe it better. We'll see.

Unread 10/02/2014, 11:56 AM   #281
JLynn
Registered Member

The nice thing about curing live rock externally is that you don't have to worry about pests escaping into your tank. And in one your size a pest could easily get lost and grow into a massive nuisance!

Unread 10/02/2014, 02:02 PM   #282
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

"…artistically speaking, they aren't particularly good photos…And maybe someday you will take a photography class, too."

JLynn, I must say, I am offended by those remarks. I realize you were trying to be funny, while insulting me, but your criticism wasn't even accurate. As I said several times, I'm using an old iphone, so picture quality suffers sometimes. Rather than comment on the limitations of my camera, or least be tactful, you chose to amuse yourself and insult MY ABILITY instead. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Despite all the time and effort required, I was happy and excited to post pics. Now, not so much.

If you choose to post on my thread again, please keep your criticism, humorous or otherwise, constructive and accurate.

Unread 10/02/2014, 11:09 PM   #283
JLynn
Registered Member

I am sorry for offending you. I was not trying to be funny, nor did I have any wish to insult you.

When I said "artistically speaking," I meant it in academic terms, such as form, composition, framing, balance, ISO, depth of field, and the like. I did not mean to imply that you were bad at using your camera at all- the photos are impressively clear considering the camera you use. The last remark was my (clearly ill-begotten) attempt to soften any sort of blow that the first comment might have made and encourage you to continue to grow as a photographer. What I meant to say was more along the lines of this: "You should take a photography class! You'd be really good at it, and you would benefit so much from it." I never ever wanted to imply anything like this: "You suck. You need to go take a remedial photography class right now." If your skills at handling such a poor camera now are indicative of your potential, your photos would be fantastic if you took a photography class that would teach you all about the sorts of things I mentioned earlier.

In retrospect, I did an unbelievably poor job of communicating that. I am so, so sorry that my tactlessness and thoughtlessness hurt you. I hope you will continue to be happy about posting pictures in the future, despite this. Thank you for calling me out on this- I would never have been able to apologize for the pain I caused you otherwise.

Unread 10/02/2014, 11:47 PM   #284
sam.basye
Registered Member

Michael, I read a big forum on a really well done foam rockwall a while back and noted that there wasn't much change in color due to sand and epoxy coating. However, the builder had to construct an additional overflow wall (above water line over the overflows) to keep fish from jumping in the overflow... This was straight pond foam with some shells thrown about. With the humidity and heat/light it turned a poo color.

I suspect this would be prevented when submerged, but still curious to know for sure since the resin was just wiped on with yours. Love the look you achieved. Looks just like a bank of sandy mud

After looking through the pictures, is there a reason you chose not to foam a wall for the end that appears to be black plastic (opposite the mangrove root)?

The only thing wrong with your picture quality is there are still no fish in any of them
Can we get an estimated time frame for the first addition of some swimming fishies??

Oh, and you going to have to find a way to fit that iPhone in the caves for some interior decorating pics when the royal grammas take up their residences! On a afterthought, would have been neat to see them in the caves from the backside to watch them clean and 'decorate'.

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
sam.basye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2014, 11:55 PM   #285
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks for your apology, JLynn. I accept!

Moving right along…

I agree with you on curing live rock externally. I bought a baby pool weeks ago just for that, as it was my original plan. But it's so tempting to get it in the tank! In my previous reef tank my LR gave birth to 2 long spine urchins. They were consuming all life on the rock at a pretty alarming rate, so I had to remove them. Fun, fun, fun!

Next to arrive in the tank will be Ulva, or Sea Lettuce. Next week another red macro, a Portiera sp. and 20 cerith snails will be introduced. I hope they like diatoms! The sand and the fake wall are getting pretty brown. Looks great on the wall and as a bonus I never have to even consider cleaning it! Not so pretty on the sand, but it should die down eventually. Seeing a little on the fake roots as well, which is good. I think they will look more natural when they get encrusted with life.

Oh, one other thing I have coming is bio pellets. I'm going to put some in my canister filter. It should help to raise bacteria levels, which will help with cycling now, as well as provide a food source for filter feeders later.

Unread 10/03/2014, 12:23 AM   #286
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

So that's your concern with the color, Sam. You don't it to look like poo! I don't blame you. Mine looked like poo before I sanded it. It was much too shiny and busy. I'm pleased to hear you like the look I ended up with! When it gets encrusted with life it should be stunning.

Good question on the left end wall. I considered foaming it, but this wall will have a lot of water flowing through it soon, with my closed loop running. It would be very tricky to accommodate all those long skinny slots, with foam. I don't think it would look very natural either. So I decided to leave it bare and unencumbered. That would look cool though.

I'm dying to get fish in there! I just want to give the plankton and plants (and bacteria) a little time to get settled in. The first fish I plan to introduce will be a school of Sunshine Chromis. It's a beautiful and docile Caribbean damsel. And you don't see them that much in the hobby, which gives my inner fish snob a warm and fuzzy glow.

The Royal Grammas will be next I think. I can't wait to see them take up residence in the plastic bottle fish caves!

Unread 10/03/2014, 08:30 AM   #287
karimwassef
Registered Member

Where are you getting them?

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2014, 08:52 AM   #288
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'll be getting both the chromis and grammas from Reeftopia. They have the best price on the internet (that I could find) for these fish. There are several 'local' caribbean species collectors that have good prices, and I'm assured of getting 'caribbean' versions of everything I purchase.

Unread 10/04/2014, 11:30 AM   #289
sam.basye
Registered Member

Looks like a good vendor. Like the prices!

What type/brand of fiberglass resin did you use? And what sand did you use? For the foam wall.

Current Tank: 30 Cube build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661418
26g Foam Rockwall build: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2457621
Foam Wall
Unread 10/04/2014, 03:50 PM   #290
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I got my resin at an auto parts store. Bondo was the brand. The sand on the wall is 'Playsand', a silica-based sand I got a a hardware store, so it's a bit browner than calcium carbonate based sand.

Unread 10/04/2014, 11:24 PM   #291
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The Ulva came yesterday. Weird stuff. It looks less like a plant and more like christmas wrapping paper! Today I planted some in the overflow, along with some of the chaeto. I'm building it. Will they come?

I got the bio pellets today in the mail. I put some in the middle chamber of my canister filter. Bringing more bacteria to the party!

I also pushed one glutamic acid pill deep into the deep sand bead, for the seagrass. I put it right in the center of the grasses. I want to see if I'm able to discern a 'plume' of its effect. Seagrass is supposed to respond well to GA, as a source of ammonia. I'll wait and observe the tank for a couple weeks before I add anything else. With the CO2 addition as well, I'm trying to 'coddle' the grasses without also feeding micro algae. Hence the dosing of the substrate rather than the water column. I did a test in my old FW planted tank, and the plants responded well, with no uptick of algae. So I'm hopeful.

Not that the seagrasses are struggling or dying. They seem to be putting their energy into getting the roots down right now. I've had them planted for maybe two weeks, and they look like they'll make it.

This early phase of microcosm-forming, starting at the bottom of the food web, is fascinating! So much more interesting than sanding the 'poo look' out of the foam wall…

Unread 10/05/2014, 12:08 AM   #292
sam.basye
Registered Member

What's the old saying?... Its like watching grass grow! Tell that grass to grow a little faster please

Never would've thought auto parts store for the aquarium lol
Are most fiberglass resins aquarium safe? Specific ingredients to look out for?

My remedial thoughts on the "field of dreams theory" is that once "they come" will they ever leave? I can see some just floating along through the system without a care and those that have some form of mental capacity not wanting to leave the little safety of the chateau/other fugeish plants. I guess this all depends on amount of flow through the overflow right?

On a similar unrelated note... Found a tiny baby pistol shrimp in my pico tank an hour ago! I've have an adult pistol shrimp for a while now that wasn't pregnant and no new additions to the tank for a couple months. Probably never seen it again...

Foam Wall
Unread 10/05/2014, 12:16 AM   #293
karimwassef
Registered Member

Feed your tank phyto... You'll be surprised what comes out of the live rock.

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2014, 06:10 AM   #294
jimbob321
Registered Member

i've been lurking your thread lol
i am doing a carib biotope also. i live two blocks from the lagoon and collect some macro's from there. Gracilaria,ulva,caulerpa,3 types of mangrove's are very common here in the summer.
i have not tried any of the grasses because they are on the decline. i have seen huge mats of chato growing i think they are invasive.never seen it before a few yrs ago.
anyway very nice looking tank i will be tagging along. good luck and keep the photo's coming.

jimbob321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2014, 03:53 PM   #295
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I think I read on a plywood tank thread about getting it at an auto parts store. I don't know anything about ingredients to avoid. It's nasty, fumey stuff while it dries. Hard to believe it's fish safe, the way it smells, but I guess once it hardens, it's inert.

Interesting thoughts on the 'fuge. We shall see! It's a fascinating experiment.

Karim, I may try that. Right now I'm trying to avoid turning the whole tank green!

Welcome Jimbo321! I envy your location for collecting! Do you have a thread going on your biotope? I'd love to hear what you're doing with it.

Unread 10/05/2014, 04:52 PM   #296
jimbob321
Registered Member

no thread yet. I've been working on a controller and am waiting on one more part.it's going to be really cool. but it is taking up most of my free time.
the tank is up and running but i need to trade off some rock that has blueridge coral and the dreaded kenyan tree growing on it. i have some Caribbean fish a condi and some ric's zoa's..and a few gargonians at a lfs that i ordered and need to pick up this week..

jimbob321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2014, 10:50 PM   #297
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Here's a shot of the wall topped with ulva and chaeto. Still playing around with it, as well as deciding what, if any substrate I'll put in there. I think it looks kinda cool and natural! The tricky part is getting the water level optimized without topping out the tank.

Unread 10/05/2014, 10:53 PM   #298
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The top right section has no macros, to let more current through and there's less light.

Unread 10/05/2014, 10:55 PM   #299
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

The Ulva is gorgeous and transparent.

Unread 10/05/2014, 10:59 PM   #300
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

End shot. Note the Ulva in between the two top roots. All the reds are holding their positions…

Tags
biotope, caribbean, food chain detrivores, macro algae, seagrass