Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/03/2017, 09:05 AM   #5551
OrionN
Moved on

Unless a Reefer is wealthy or or not very smart, having a price tag of about 150+ tend to get him to do research before buying this fish.
This is certainly not a easy fish to get to live in aquarium at first.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 04:14 AM   #5552
ThRoewer
Registered Member

It's generally not an overly difficult fish to get to live in a tank - that is if you know how to pick one that hasn't been damaged by the supply chain.

Getting large ones is generally a good way to set yourself up for failure.

Small ones between 2 and 4 inches are IME the most likely to survive and thrive in a reef tank.

Larger ones I would only buy if I see them eating well in person - not just nibbling a bit but really digging in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 09:42 AM   #5553
this is me
Registered Member

After losing my pair during the tank transition, I ordered a Maldive juvie from LA and it's doing terrific.
I'm wait for LA to get more of these Maldive juvie in stock. It was the most painless regal acclimation I've encountered.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Current Tank Info: Miracle 360 gallons
this is me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 03:23 PM   #5554
alton
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is me View Post
After losing my pair during the tank transition, I ordered a Maldive juvie from LA and it's doing terrific.
I'm wait for LA to get more of these Maldive juvie in stock. It was the most painless regal acclimation I've encountered.
These where/are awesome!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish 6-12-17R.jpg (73.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg regal with buddies 6-1 (2).jpg (106.0 KB, 70 views)
alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 03:55 PM   #5555
OrionN
Moved on

I got one that f these too. He is doing very well in my tank. Now just start to come out of the rock work. Smaller than my three flames angels so he often got chase by the five resident angels. Now he start to do well and able to get his share of food. For the last three or four weeks I have been feeding him in his hiding place twice a day.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 08/04/2017, 03:58 PM   #5556
humaguy
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
It's generally not an overly difficult fish to get to live in a tank - that is if you know how to pick one that hasn't been damaged by the supply chain.

Getting large ones is generally a good way to set yourself up for failure.

Small ones between 2 and 4 inches are IME the most likely to survive and thrive in a reef tank.

Larger ones I would only buy if I see them eating well in person - not just nibbling a bit but really digging in.

ThRoewer always gives great advice!
Agree, not a tough fish..

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 08:04 PM   #5557
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I got one of those tiny Maldives regals as well. It's the only regal ever to grow significantly - and really fast - in one of my tanks. In roughly 6 months it added at least 50% in length and roughly quadrupled it's mass - and it is only in a 40B!

On the less positive side, my Sumatra pair had a falling out and the tank sitter had to separate them. So for now the smaller one is recovering in the BSJ tank. When I'm back I will have to see what to do with them. The issue might be that the larger one is not really a male, at least not by the size of it's gill spines...

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...

Last edited by ThRoewer; 08/04/2017 at 08:10 PM.
Unread 08/05/2017, 04:47 PM   #5558
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

After losing a Regal in TTM over Memorial Day, I am trying again. My new guy was at the LFS for two weeks while I waited to be sure he was eating. Purchased him last night and he was eating clams within half an hour of starting TTM. Wish me luck!

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2017, 11:59 AM   #5559
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
One week after I added the small Regal Angel into the tank. He is in pick on my all 5 of the angels, the three Flames and the two Regal. So much that he is hiding in the L corner of my tank, in the rock. Fortunately he is small and agile. able to dodge the attacks of the larger angel fishes. He is eating at least. I have been squirting food into his corner and he is aggressively eating them.
This morning was the first time I see him peeking out from his corner and got chase back in by my male Flame Angel. Hopefully they will lessen their aggressiveness toward him as time go on. So far he have not loss any weight that I can see. No wound either.
He will do will do fine but still shy and still being bother by the other angels. He is much better and start to venture out of the rock. He also start to chase food down and eat with the other fish if I don't target feed him. He is still fat, but less fat than when I put him in several weeks ago.
I was able to nap a not to clear picture of him peaking out his corner. I am glad to see him out. He will be just fine.
BTW, even never QT my fish, my tank is Ich free. He dis not developed any disease through all these stress.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Regal2017072801.jpg (84.7 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg Regal2017072802.jpg (83.8 KB, 271 views)

Unread 08/20/2017, 07:38 AM   #5560
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

Regal made it through TTM and now in fully cycled QT.
Not feeding as well as I had hoped, but he does eat shrimp, clams and Nori. He picks at frozen.
He also seems a little shy which may be an issue when I want to get him in the 350. Suggestions for acclimation?

Unread 08/20/2017, 08:23 AM   #5561
OrionN
Moved on

Do you have a reasonable sump or refugium? Consider keep him in in there until he eat aggressively. Add flake food together with the other food. All of mine seem to like flake food much better than frozen. Consider adding some small fish that is aggressively eating, especially flakes, to teach and entice him to eat. I keep multiple pairs of clowns. Clownfish is what I use to get my Regal to eat in my QT, which is a 30 gal reeftank.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BabyRegalYellowChested2017031501_edited-1.jpg (93.7 KB, 255 views)

Unread 08/20/2017, 08:29 AM   #5562
Reef908
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbyrnes View Post
Regal made it through TTM and now in fully cycled QT.
Not feeding as well as I had hoped, but he does eat shrimp, clams and Nori. He picks at frozen.
He also seems a little shy which may be an issue when I want to get him in the 350. Suggestions for acclimation?
Try putting some pellets or flakes in some clam juice (I just opened a live little neck and sprinkled flake and pellet on top) for a bit and then put in the tank. The fish may then get a taste for it and after a few feedings try dropping the pellets or flakes in without a presoak. For what it's worth, mine loves nls pellets the most and rushes out as soon as they hit the water. Everything else he is very slow about eating.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0054.jpg (50.1 KB, 46 views)
Unread 08/21/2017, 05:31 AM   #5563
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

OrionN - he is in a 40b with a pair of maroons that live there, they eat everything. Hopefully they can teach him its OK to eat the flakes.
Reef908 - That's a good idea since he loves clams. I'll give that a try!

Unread 08/21/2017, 06:41 AM   #5564
OrionN
Moved on

Maroons maybe to aggressive and territorial and will/may really bother the Regal. I do not recommend this, unless the Maroons are really small.

Unread 08/21/2017, 06:13 PM   #5565
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. A always I find your opinions very helpful.
I'll keep an eye out for issues.

Unread 08/31/2017, 01:53 PM   #5566
alton
Registered Member

Minh have you had a chance to get back home and check out your fish?

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/01/2017, 09:59 AM   #5567
mandarin417
Registered Member

New Regal eating and socializing well

Luckily we didn't lose power where I am at in Houston during Harvey. It's been over a week since introducing the 4" regal to my main tank. Getting along weil with all the other fish, eating well, hasn't discovered how tasty zoanthids and clams are yet. The regal came from s http://www.thereefcorner.com/ and the scribbled from Diver's Den which is about 2 inches. The scribbled has been in the tank over a month now.

See video at https://youtu.be/EbeEdp4ijLM

mandarin417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2017, 12:42 PM   #5568
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Unfortunately the smaller one of my (former) Sumatra Regal pair died (together with my BSJ pair) in this weekend's record heatwave. 33 °C water temperature was just too much in a well covered jawfish tank. And Unfortunately I was away and not able to limit the heat up of the tank(s).

Another loss was the single Starcki damsel male in my 42 gallon tank. However, all the other fish in that tank did quite well despite that tank also hitting 33 °C. I guess the feisty little Bali Regal there stressed him to much to handle the heat.

Unread 09/05/2017, 12:52 PM   #5569
this is me
Registered Member

Sorry to hear this.

Quote:
Unfortunately the smaller one of my (former) Sumatra Regal pair died (together with my BSJ pair) in this weekend's record heatwave. 33 °C water temperature was just too much in a well covered jawfish tank. And Unfortunately I was away and not able to limit the heat up of the tank(s).

Another loss was the single Starcki damsel male in my 42 gallon tank. However, all the other fish in that tank did quite well despite that tank also hitting 33 °C. I guess the feisty little Bali Regal there stressed him to much to handle the heat.

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Unread 09/05/2017, 01:49 PM   #5570
this is me
Registered Member

So I received two YBR about 3 weeks ago. One from NYA and one from LA two days apart. I kept one in my fuge and one in a large acclimation box in the display. The one from NYA started to eat clam on half shell in the fuge after about 3 days. The LA one started to eat pretty much out of the bag. I was really surprised. After both of them have eaten clams on the half shell pretty reliably, I place both of them in the holding tank(liverocks with some LPS) and got them to eat LRS and live blackworms pretty aggressively.
They're both in the display for about a week now. Eating with the rest of the fish. The one from NYA is more yellow and is loving nori on the clip but ignores flakes. The one from LA eats everything. Together I have 3 regals. The smallest one was from LA back when they had the Juveniles and was on sale.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (90.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (96.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (94.9 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (87.0 KB, 169 views)

Unread 09/05/2017, 09:05 PM   #5571
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
So I received two YBR about 3 weeks ago. One from NYA and one from LA two days apart. I kept one in my fuge and one in a large acclimation box in the display. The one from NYA started to eat clam on half shell in the fuge after about 3 days. The LA one started to eat pretty much out of the bag. I was really surprised. After both of them have eaten clams on the half shell pretty reliably, I place both of them in the holding tank(liverocks with some LPS) and got them to eat LRS and live blackworms pretty aggressively.
They're both in the display for about a week now. Eating with the rest of the fish. The one from NYA is more yellow and is loving nori on the clip but ignores flakes. The one from LA eats everything. Together I have 3 regals. The smallest one was from LA back when they had the Juveniles and was on sale.

Impressive collection. Love the green gig.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2017, 02:35 PM   #5572
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:

How big is that tank?

Unread 09/06/2017, 04:54 PM   #5573
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Clownfish is what I use to get my Regal to eat in my QT, which is a 30 gal reeftank.
Interesting idea regarding isolation in sump / refuge with a fish that eats flakes. Quick question (maybe I missed the dialog) but in a thread above you mentioned you didn't QT then here you say QT. Do you QT or not or based on fish type?

Typically I do not, I don't have room for a second tank. In most cases it has balanced out and no issues. One time I did run into a issue and it caused some trouble and I lost a few fish. Then again most of my fish are not very costly - not that that makes any difference I guess. Was just wondering because the one thread I read above I thought you said no QT then in this one you mentioned you did.

Apologies.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2017, 07:26 AM   #5574
this is me
Registered Member

The tank is 360gallons with dimension of 72"x48"x24". Full details of the tank can be found here.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2602009
It's a heavy loaded tank, yes.

Quote:
How big is that tank?

Unread 09/07/2017, 08:33 PM   #5575
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I come to think that you need to have other large fish in the tank to make pairs of large angels work.