Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2019, 06:10 AM   #176
OrionN
Moved on

You really need a good telephoto. Place a mirror at an appropriate place can really held the ones that does not flashes often to flashes.
For some really fast wrasse, I disable the auto focus and set it at a specific distance and snap when the wrasse get into the zone. These cases mirror really help because they will flash at the same place, right in front of the mirror. Hope this help.
Also point and shoot camera just won’t do it. There is too much delay between your command and the shutter actually release.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2019, 06:42 AM   #177
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
You really need a good telephoto. Place a mirror at an appropriate place can really held the ones that does not flashes often to flashes.
For some really fast wrasse, I disable the auto focus and set it at a specific distance and snap when the wrasse get into the zone. These cases mirror really help because they will flash at the same place, right in front of the mirror. Hope this help.
Also point and shoot camera just won’t do it. There is too much delay between your command and the shutter actually release.
OrionN - Next time you take some pictures can you take a picture of the set up you are doing? I am curious about this mirror trick you are using. I have never tried the mirror trick. What lense and camera are you using? I normally use my 100mm macro for most shots. But I have others .

Unread 06/20/2019, 07:02 AM   #178
OrionN
Moved on

We are getting ready for a reunion out of town so I cannot do it this weekend. I will try to do this next weekend for you. My tank have a painted back so I cannot put the mirror in the back, but this is easiest I would think. You will get picture of the reflection also.
You can put the mirror on the side, but the orientation of the fish is different and the fish will be moving fast toward or away from the camera.
I get the best picture if I put the mirror in front of the camera . Disable auto focus and focus it at a specific place just outside the edge of the mirror. As the fish flashes, and move forward, he will move past the mirror, still flashing. You only have a fraction of a second to snap the picture before he stop flashing.
If you object is one of the bolder wrasse, he will flashes all the time, and it is easy. Just make sure you have bright light, open the aperture and shorten the shutter speed for clear picture.

The last few pictures, the best pictures, of my Eightline Flasher were just pictures of him strutting around the tank in late evening, no mirror or gimmick. I just have the camera on correct setting and snapped a few picture. That was just pure luck. I keep my camera on a stand next to the tank.

Best of luck with your shooting. Hope you get trophies of your wrasses.

I have an Olympus E-M5II. The lens I like to use the most is the Olympus 12-40mm 1:2.8 PRO. Due to sensor element size, this lens is equal to 12-80mm Zoom in a 35 mm sensor SLR

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 06/20/2019, 08:15 AM   #179
nightOwl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
We are getting ready for a reunion out of town so I cannot do it this weekend. I will try to do this next weekend for you. My tank have a painted back so I cannot put the mirror in the back, but this is easiest I would think. You will get picture of the reflection also.
You can put the mirror on the side, but the orientation of the fish is different and the fish will be moving fast toward or away from the camera.
I get the best picture if I put the mirror in front of the camera . Disable auto focus and focus it at a specific place just outside the edge of the mirror. As the fish flashes, and move forward, he will move past the mirror, still flashing. You only have a fraction of a second to snap the picture before he stop flashing.
If you object is one of the bolder wrasse, he will flashes all the time, and it is easy. Just make sure you have bright light, open the aperture and shorten the shutter speed for clear picture.

The last few pictures, the best pictures, of my Eightline Flasher were just pictures of him strutting around the tank in late evening, no mirror or gimmick. I just have the camera on correct setting and snapped a few picture. That was just pure luck. I keep my camera on a stand next to the tank.

Best of luck with your shooting. Hope you get trophies of your wrasses.

I have an Olympus E-M5II. The lens I like to use the most is the Olympus 12-40mm 1:2.8 PRO. Due to sensor element size, this lens is equal to 12-80mm Zoom in a 35 mm sensor SLR

OrionN - Thanks for the info! Looking forward to it seeing how you have this set up. I think I have and old mirror laying around if not I will run across the street to the Dollar store. My tank is sorta a peninsula no painted sides...one long side is viewable through wall and the end and back are viewable in my fishroom. Just to be clear you are not putting the mirror in the tank correct? Are you using any off camera flashes? I am struggling with fish photos and LEDS. I have a few good fish shots from long ago of a couple of my old wrasses. I shot with a Canon 70D so I may have to pull out the 24-70mm or 70-200mm and my tri-pod.

Unread 07/14/2019, 06:52 PM   #180
OrionN
Moved on

A few things were added. I got a T. gigas from LA. This clam is long time coming. I have been looking for one for ever. Still in the refugium. Low current and slime algae with the Squamosa. I had this blue Squamosa for about 8 months.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clams2019071402GigasResized.jpg (75.9 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg Clams2019071204GigasSquamosaResized.jpg (98.4 KB, 365 views)

Unread 07/14/2019, 07:03 PM   #181
OrionN
Moved on

I also got a new WC Onyx Percula. Stumble upon the female somebody brought back to the LFS. I had a WC smaller Onyx I MO rom Aquatic Collection about 2 months ago, together with another WC Percula. The two Onyx pair up and promply kick the regular Percula out of the anemone. Do you think they are racist?
Two WC Percula I MO from Aquatic Collection. They were not Onyx when I got them

After several months, they really color up and one color up really nicely. Smaller but more dominant of the two.

The Female Onyx I got Friday

Another view

The two together:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Percula2019071102OnyxWCResized.jpg (42.9 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg Percula2019071202OnyxResized.jpg (52.6 KB, 360 views)
File Type: jpg Percula2019071401OnyxFemaleResized.jpg (38.5 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg Percula2019071402OnyxFemaleResized.jpg (51.1 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg Percula2019050401WCResized.jpg (47.6 KB, 383 views)

Unread 07/14/2019, 07:11 PM   #182
OrionN
Moved on

I also got another Black Leopard from Petco. The manager ordered a small one for me, but this guy arraved instead. He is so beautiful that I got him. The scales are florescent blue. The camera almost able to pick up this color. He is doing well. Seeing this guy, I believe that male Black Leopard is most beautiful of the Leopard genus. There is no other Leopard that rival his look.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackLeopardWrasse201907091910Maleresized.jpg (47.9 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg BlackLeopardWrasse201907091909MaleResized.jpg (56.4 KB, 363 views)

Unread 07/22/2019, 12:49 PM   #183
OrionN
Moved on

I went out of town yesterday AM before the light on and came back last night after the light out. This morning, when the light come on, instead of having one Purple Tip Magnifica, I have two fully formed. Sometime in the last 36 hrs my Mag started and completed the split. I did not even see it until it is done. Often, when this happened in the past, the Mag would looks poorly, partially deflated, then split. I did not see him yesterday and the split started and completed sometime in 36 hrs.

Unread 07/24/2019, 04:29 AM   #184
OrionN
Moved on

I got a new blue Gigantea. He arrives sick. I detail his treatment here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2697789

The short of it is that here is his pre-treatment picture, not attached to anything. I have to trap him with a cub handle to keep him from floating

After a few days in HT under treatment

Last day of treatment, day 10. Right before I moved him to refugium

Day 1 in refugium. Rock piled around him to get him to attach and not flow away.

Day 2 post treatment

Day 3 post treatment

Unread 07/24/2019, 06:23 PM   #185
OrionN
Moved on

Feed him after work today. He is eating like a champ. Eating like this, he will be healed and healthy in no time.

Help him a bit by placing the salmon right next to his mouth. 2 pieces.

Going

Going

Gone, sorta

Really gone, done.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlueGig2019072402resized.jpg (81.8 KB, 628 views)
File Type: jpg BlueGig2019072403resized.jpg (78.6 KB, 624 views)
File Type: jpg BlueGig2019072404resized.jpg (89.6 KB, 629 views)
File Type: jpg BlueGig2019072405resized.jpg (95.4 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg BlueGig2019072406resized.jpg (79.1 KB, 634 views)

Unread 07/28/2019, 05:11 AM   #186
OrionN
Moved on

A lot of new tentacles are forming from Friday PM to Sunday. Can be seen here especially compared to last picture above.
I think his baldness will grow out in no time. If he live, and I think he will, he will be the absolute sickest anemone that I got to recovered. Took me 10 days with 200 gal box of Instant Ocean and quite a bit of work. Most days in the first week I change water twice a day when he deflated. I am really happy about this anemone, and think that he will be quite a special anemone. Looks like one with both blue and green in coloration. The work and the money I spend on salt is really worth it IMO.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlueGig2019072801Resized.jpg (82.3 KB, 599 views)

Last edited by OrionN; 07/28/2019 at 05:29 AM.
Unread 07/29/2019, 09:26 PM   #187
OrionN
Moved on

Another day of tentacle growth. Less bald

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gigantea2019072902BlueResized.jpg (85.2 KB, 283 views)

Unread 07/30/2019, 09:48 PM   #188
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Very impressive, nursing that nem back to health. It looks pretty good already, but I bet it will be gorgeous with more tentacles. Nice work!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2019, 08:40 PM   #189
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Very impressive, nursing that nem back to health. It looks pretty good already, but I bet it will be gorgeous with more tentacles. Nice work!
Thanks. I feed him well so he can have the energy and raw material to recover. Took these picture just now before the light turn out. I just feed him a Mahi-Mahi (wild caught by my son a few weeks ago from the Gulf of Mexico)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gigantea2019073103BlueResized.jpg (75.8 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg Gigantea2019073102BlueResized.jpg (85.5 KB, 512 views)

Unread 08/04/2019, 04:36 PM   #190
OrionN
Moved on

My Blue Gigantea today

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gigantea2019080401BlueResized.jpg (76.5 KB, 489 views)
File Type: jpg Gigantea2019080402BlueResized.jpg (68.0 KB, 501 views)

Unread 08/09/2019, 06:11 AM   #191
OrionN
Moved on

I got my Blue Gigantea into my QT system where I can easily feed him. He recovered a lot and got most of his tentacles regrowth. The denuded area still have shorter tentacles as compare to other area, but otherwise doing great. He eats well.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gigantea2019080901BlueResized.jpg (102.7 KB, 471 views)

Unread 08/10/2019, 08:38 AM   #192
OrionN
Moved on

Did water change of my QT system. I pump water from QT to sink, then DT to QT, then new mixed water to DT. about 50 gal so I change nearly 90% of water in QT. No lifting of water just pump water in and out.

Blue Gigantea recovering

Green Haddoni

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gigantea2019081001BlueResized.jpg (106.2 KB, 417 views)
File Type: jpg Haddoni2019081001GreenResized.jpg (85.7 KB, 209 views)

Unread 08/11/2019, 11:09 AM   #193
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIGUY314 View Post
nice job in bringing him back. what are you feeding him?

I'm pretty sure that's a female and not a male. The males have a much longer spine on their dorsal fin.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2019, 11:12 AM   #194
CrayolaViolence
Registered Member

The females can have a very ornate sail it's just the actual spine is shorter than the male.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 252_green-mandarin-dragonet_1.jpg (29.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg mandarinfish.jpg (32.3 KB, 28 views)

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef tank
CrayolaViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2019, 11:52 AM   #195
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
The females can have a very ornate sail it's just the actual spine is shorter than the male.
I think you posted this in a wrong thread, but both pictures of the Mandarin above are male with one have smaller spike, either from youth or have it broken off. The female Mandarin have a rounded first part of the dorsal fin, not spike like the two mandarin pictured above. Look closely at the shape of the first part of the dorsal fins and you can see the different in shape, accounting for the broken spike of course, plus possible shorten of the membrane as the result.
These picture are not mine but I found on the internet.

This is a male Mandarin with broke spike

This is a male Mandarin, young or with broke spike. Two males fighting with the larger male biting the smaller one:

This is a Female Mandarin with extended dorsal fin

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mandarin Male Broken Spike.jpg (55.4 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Mandarin Male fighting broken spike.jpg (58.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg MandarinFemale Spike.jpg (68.6 KB, 193 views)

Unread 08/11/2019, 11:57 AM   #196
OrionN
Moved on

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gigantea2019081101MulticolorBlueWithOnyxPairResized.jpg (81.1 KB, 191 views)

Unread 08/11/2019, 05:44 PM   #197
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrayolaViolence View Post
Same fish. You can see the pattern and coloration are the same, if you account for the growth.

06/03/2018

01/09/2019

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mandarin2019010901Resized.jpg (63.2 KB, 192 views)

Unread 09/19/2019, 07:18 PM   #198
OrionN
Moved on

I got a good picture of m Naoko Fairy wrasse. Very beautiful, hardy, outgoing wrasse. Not aggressive in my 320 gal DT with a numbers of other wrasses, many of which are docile like two Pintail wrasse and a number of flasher wrasses.

Unread 09/19/2019, 09:39 PM   #199
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Gorgeous wrasse! Especially the tail. Good pic too. It's hard to get decent pics of active fish.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2019, 08:45 PM   #200
OrionN
Moved on

Got better picture of the Naoko Fairy today: