Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2016, 07:21 AM   #1
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Jason's 220 build

So, I finally get to join the large'ish tank club. Woohoo!

We're moving to Orlando and we decided that the move would be the perfect time to upgrade from my 60 cube. Once we got an offer on our house in GA I broke down the 60 cube with a great friend holding my 3 favorite fish and a couple of corals for me until I get a tank set back up.

In the mean time, I found a good deal on a standard 220gal tank with Starphire front, stand, and canopy on my local club board. Jumped on it and put it straight into storage. This weekend, it should finally make the trip to FL.

For a sump I bought a 40 breeder and asked a cousin of mine who owns a glass shop to cut baffles to size for me. I haven't silicone'd them in yet but I'm excited to get started on that this weekend too. For a skimmer, I bought an Aquamaxx ConeS CO-3 on Black Friday. I have one MP40 powerhead but am likely to go with an Apex WAV starter pack. This will allow me to put the 40 on the back wall or possibly keep it on my 60 cube.

Plan for the 60 cube is long term QT. I'll pick up 2 40 breeders at a future $1/gal sale to use for TTM.

As for the setup. I had planned on putting the sump and fuge in the garage. But, a joy of building a new home hundreds of miles away is the occasional surprise you get. Like 2 water heaters instead of one. Exactly where I was planning on building the stand for sump and fuge... Another bump is that in the tank room when you walk in you'll be staring directly at the side(right side) of the tank meaning I really don't want to put my overflow on that end, and that end happens to be where the space between water heaters and wall in the garage allow for pipes to run.

So, plan B. Overflow will go on the left side of the tank and drain almost directly down in to the sump. I'll have to cut a hole, or 3, in the side of the stand to allow the piping to go through. The plan is to use flex PVC to eliminate 45's or 90's. Drain system will be a bean animal. Primary drain will have a gate valve to tune.

Speaking of the overflow, I'll be using a Synergy Reef ghost overflow. I'm inclined to go with the 20" model but am wondering if the 16" would be enough. I'm not a fan of monstrous flow through the sump but there's a 1,000gal/hr difference in capacity between the 2 overflows. I do like the smaller size of the 16". I'll likely go with the 20" unless someone gives me a good reason to go with 16". I can always dial down the 20" drain. This will of course necessitate cutting out the old dual corner overflows. It breaks my heart to reclaim all of that space for the display but sacrifices must be made.

Return pump plan had been an Eheim 1262. I realize many may think that's way too small but see my previous statement about flow through the sump. However, it's just loud enough that I may look at something quieter to replace it. My heart says a Vectra, my wallet may lead me elsewhere for a different DC pump. Perhaps a Deepwater Aquatics pump. The return will just go up and over the top, again using flex PVC as much as possible to eliminate angles. Would it be wise to place the return at the opposite end of the tank from the overflow pointing towards the overflow to encourage surface flow in that direction? Or best to let "natural" surface skimming occur?

Lighting. What to do? At first I looked at some MH pendants, then fell in love with the Hamilton Cebu Sun. Currently I'm considering an 8 bulb ATI Sunpower with the idea of retro fitting some Kessil A360's into the ATI fixture replacing the 2 center bulbs. That would give me 6 80w T5's to go along with 3 Kessil A360's. I had(still have actually) an A360w over my 60 cube and, other than the shadowing, I loved it. Not sure I'll keep the canopy. I've never looked at someone's tank and thought their lighting system looked frankensteinish. A little cable management goes a long way. But then again, I might use it. Have to keep the blasted thing somewhere.

I have a calcium reactor that I'll be using on this tank. I also have an Apex DOS that I use for AWC.

The refugium. Still plan on putting this in the garage. Easy to run a few lines through the garage and feed it with a MJ1200, or something, depends on how high up I put the fuge. I'll be using a 65'ish gallon stock tank with 2 return drains to have a safety. Ultimately protection will be provided by a float valve and my Apex. Any issue with just covering the fuge with a piece of acrylic to minimize evap?

Planning on a Tunze ATO. Suppose I'll have plenty of room in the stand for the ATO container.

Anything I'm missing besides pictures? Those will come this weekend as long as there is room for the tank in the U-Haul

Unread 02/16/2016, 06:50 PM   #2
ghellin
Registered Member

I could be completely wrong but I think I remember reading somewhere that the Apex DOS pumps are amazing dosers but are not good for auto water changes. Hopefully someone can back me up or let me know if I am mistaken.

Unread 02/16/2016, 07:56 PM   #3
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghellin View Post
I could be completely wrong but I think I remember reading somewhere that the Apex DOS pumps are amazing dosers but are not good for auto water changes. Hopefully someone can back me up or let me know if I am mistaken.
I used mine for about a year doing AWC's and it worked fine for me. Curious why others think it doesn't do well.

Unread 02/24/2016, 06:02 PM   #4
RedStangGA
Registered Member

22" toothless overflow ordered from Modular Marine!

Unread 03/03/2016, 11:47 AM   #5
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Overflow has shipped.

Taking my 32gal brute with my LR down to the new house tonight where I'll let it continue to sit and marinate. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can get the 220 down to the new house until the middle of April. In the mean time I'll silicone everything together in the sump this weekend and might get started on building the sump and fuge stand that'll go in the garage.

I'm sticking with Plan A for the sump. Sump and fuge in the garage. The overflow will go along the back wall of the tank but skewed towards the end of the tank that will be directly on the opposite side of the wall from the open area in the garage. 3 holes will be cut through the wall for the drains and one more for the return.

Unread 03/08/2016, 03:29 PM   #6
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Got the overflow in!!!

Can't wait to drill the tank and get it mounted.

Unread 03/14/2016, 02:29 PM   #7
RedStangGA
Registered Member

So, this is my "fish room." AKA, garage. Had no idea we were getting two water heaters. The plan had been to run the plumbing where the right water heater is. Now I'm debating how much of a pita it will be to shift those bad boys over 8-12" to the left.

Then I could build sump and fuge stand along the garage wall on the right. This would let me get the tank and stand right up against the wall on the other side rather than have to leave so much space for the overflow box. Also slows me down considerably.

Still, I think it'll be worth the effort.

Unread 03/20/2016, 04:54 PM   #8
maddmaxx
Registered Member

awesome looking overflow. I too am a fan of the toothless overflow. way better surface skimmer. did you have to custom order that? or was it an option ordering on their site?

Current Tank Info: 40B Mixed reef
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2016, 03:10 AM   #9
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
awesome looking overflow. I too am a fan of the toothless overflow. way better surface skimmer. did you have to custom order that? or was it an option ordering on their site?
I just emailed him letting him know what I wanted. Very quick and easy.

Unread 04/19/2016, 11:20 AM   #10
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Okay, so it's a very slow build lol!

Still, progress is progress.

I load the tank, stand, canopy, overflow, and skimmer into a trailer For the trek to Florida on Thursday. Goal Friday Ans Saturday is to get my 60 cube operational so I can bring my clowns and wrasse down Mother's Day weekend.

220 will finish getting setup once I locate a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 04/22/2016, 12:29 PM   #11
RedStangGA
Registered Member

And the tank is now in Florida!!!

And who says you need 4 men to move a 400+ pound tank!?

My 10yo son and I managed it. Barely. With furniture dollies and moving straps lol!

Feels good to have it down here finally.

Also filling up the 60 cube again so I can move my 3 fish down in 2 weekends.

Even better, my wife suggested maybe I keep both tanks up and running. Huge step for her.

Unread 04/23/2016, 06:45 PM   #12
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Got everything transferred from my brute to the 60 cube. Happily surprised at the number of snails that were still alive after 4-5 months in trash can purgatory.

Also got to stop by WWC for the first time. Great store and great people. It'll be nice to be so close to a fish store, especially a nice one.

Unread 05/11/2016, 08:20 AM   #13
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Transported my fish down last weekend and got them into the cube. Also got the room the tanks are/will be in cleaned up significantly.

Fish seem to be doing great. I have an Eheim auto feeder and about 25 gallons of RODI in a brute for ATO use. Also able to use an old iPhone 5 as a web cam to keep an eye on them.

Unread 06/27/2016, 02:17 PM   #14
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Wow. Over a month without an update. Very slow progress. Still getting moved into the house. But, I did finally get the stand and canopy moved into the fish room.

Tank is out back waiting for a leak test, and for me to find a relatively level stretch of concrete first. May just put it some plywood and shim it.

Unread 06/27/2016, 04:29 PM   #15
ADVRESOURCE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghellin View Post
I have a 240 tank. I'm using the Apex DOS for 2.5 gal/day water changes. I have a NSW canister and OSW canister. Each have float switches to mitigate issues with the pumps or water lines whereby the Apex controller can shut down the pumps so the water salinity won't ever be an issue. Also, using the Apex to DOS some Ca and ALK. Figure, if there's an issue with my CA reactor, then I won't get a huge fluctuation. Dialing back significantly until coral is introduced.

ADVRESOURCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2016, 07:40 PM   #16
Telkiira
Registered Member

I was fortunate enough to build my house this time and planned where my tank, sump, etc were going to go in advance

Telkiira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/19/2016, 01:17 PM   #17
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telkiira View Post
I was fortunate enough to build my house this time and planned where my tank, sump, etc were going to go in advance
Well, I kind of thought I was lol! When it came down to it, punching a hole through a spray foam insulated wall probably isn't a good idea. Sump/fuge will go into the closet behind the tank. The tank wall overlaps the closet wall by about 18 inches. Plenty of room to run cabling and pipes. Plan is to build a high stand for the fuge and have it gravity drain into the display tank. Hoping that will provide a greater amount of natural food vs a pump taking its toll before the critters make it to the tank.

Taking much longer than planned. Life has a way of getting in the way. So much to do with the house that takes precious time and money. God willing, I'll have the utility sink all hooked up in the garage by the end of the weekend. I have all the parts, I think/hope, just need to turn off the water to the house, drain the lines, and hook everything up. Should have just bought the water supply valves and given them to the builder in advance. He would have put them on for me. This might actually allow me to move the water making equipment into the garage and off the back deck. I did at least get the skimmer put together as well as buying a used skimmer to keep my 60 cube cleaner than time has allowed me.

If I really end up having spare time, I'll finally start putting in the baffles to my sump and pressure wash my salt mixing container. Fresh and salt containers will still reside in the garage with 3 very small holes poked through the wall, and resealed, to allow my DOS to do AWC.

Still need to make a temp 2x4 "stand" so I can shim it level on my back deck to leak test, clean, and drill my tank. Then I get to see if I can get it into the room. I guess if we got the stand to fit the tank should go too, but we had to work to get the stand in and it doesn't way even a quarter of what the tank does.

On the bright side, my wife is starting to make comments to the effect of "We need to get you some more stuff that you need for your tank." On the really bright side, the 3 fish I wanted to keep are still alive and well as are a bunch of the cleanup crew. As my son says, can't wait to see them in the Presidential Suite(aka the new tank).

Unread 08/22/2016, 08:22 AM   #18
RedStangGA
Registered Member

So, made some decent progress this weekend.

Got the garage sink completed so I can start moving in the RODI setup and getting it mounted to the wall.

Got all of the baffles in for my sump! This was fun. Not an awesome silicone job but it should work. The top right is where the drains from the tank will go to except emergency which will go to the skimmer compartment. Water will overflow to the space to the left where I will fabricate a filter sock holder to hold two socks. Water will flow out the bottom of that chamber to the skimmer compartment. It then flows over one baffle, under another, and then over another baffle that isn't pictures but is in now.

Finally, I leak tested a 55 gal container with two uniseals. There's one at the bottom and one at the top with a pump and piping. This will be my salt mixing container. Worked great and didn't leak. Now I'll build a a stand to over it for a 33gal brute which will hold fresh RODI to supply the salt mixing tank and ATO in the closet just on the other side of a wall in the garage. I'll put a uniseal in the brute so I can gravity drain it to the salt mixing container.

Unread 08/23/2016, 12:03 AM   #19
Dirtball
Registered Member

Nice tanks

Current Tank Info: 24 gallon aquapod just getting started.
Dirtball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 01:09 PM   #20
RedStangGA
Registered Member

So, my MP40w ES(Just turned 2yo) just crapped out. Not a huge deal, no coral. Appears that the wet side screw or nut has stripped. Ecotech says buy a new wet side lol! And here I was about to go with a Vectra because of the supposed great support they provide.

Hopefully it's just the nut. I have 100 of those coming via Amazon for $10. Shame no local hardware stores seem to carry them.

Not sure what to do now in regards to Ecotech. They had a great reputation for customer service. It does appear you can get some level of individual replacement parts for the MP10 and MP60 but not the 40. At least I have some time to decide!

Unread 08/24/2016, 01:15 PM   #21
reefeqmover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStangGA View Post
So, my MP40w ES(Just turned 2yo) just crapped out. Not a huge deal, no coral. Appears that the wet side screw or nut has stripped. Ecotech says buy a new wet side lol! And here I was about to go with a Vectra because of the supposed great support they provide.

Hopefully it's just the nut. I have 100 of those coming via Amazon for $10. Shame no local hardware stores seem to carry them.

Not sure what to do now in regards to Ecotech. They had a great reputation for customer service. It does appear you can get some level of individual replacement parts for the MP10 and MP60 but not the 40. At least I have some time to decide!
Etm use to carry all the parts until the switch to qd. Lots less moving parts now. No plastic bolt/nut to overtighten. You might be able to find a rebuild kit somewhere. Ya $75 is a lot for a new wetside though.

reefeqmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2016, 01:30 PM   #22
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefeqmover View Post
Etm use to carry all the parts until the switch to qd. Lots less moving parts now. No plastic bolt/nut to overtighten. You might be able to find a rebuild kit somewhere. Ya $75 is a lot for a new wetside though.
Yeah, I get that, but they don't even have individual parts for the qd series listed for the 40. I don't want to have to spring for a $75 wet side every 2 years on a pump that already costs $350 lol!

Unread 08/25/2016, 07:33 PM   #23
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Well, the new nylon nuts worked. For about 30 min's lol! I think the ceramic sleeve has worn down. Was getting too much play/wiggle even with the nuts as tight as reasonably possible. New wet side is on the way. Still not a very happy camper though.

Unread 10/07/2016, 10:44 AM   #24
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Leak test is complete! Now waiting for the storm to blow over here in Orlando and maybe I can get this bad boy drilled this weekend!

Unread 10/07/2016, 10:45 AM   #25
RedStangGA
Registered Member

Oh yeah, overflows came out really easy. Took less than 10 minutes.