Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/01/2014, 06:36 PM   #1126
vitodog
Registered Member

sahin, thank you for the excellent and thorough advise/recommendation.

Unread 04/02/2014, 07:39 AM   #1127
graham hunt
Premium Member

hi guys.

just received my light,3x75w led,4xt5 lamps,having read this thread and others think it will be a good choice.excited to get it!
but not intentionaly im sure you have scared the life out of me with reference the control unit,i had assumed initially i could set up lamp with same to burn in t5s then use one of ati preset modes,later when more confident hook up a pc to tune it.
at present i have the box cornered and a big stick in my hands incase it gets nasty!
any advice or confirmation if i dare use box on its own would be nice.
thread and information has been educational if a little disconcerting.
my tank is 8ftx2ftx2ft with weirs at each end so 7ft view,i realise 2xfittings would have been nice but i dont mind darker ends an cost was a factor.
regards graham.

graham hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 03:01 PM   #1128
Orion120
Registered Member

Hello all,

What would you recommend for a tank that is 36 x 18 x 21 (57 Rimless) SPS dominant?
Also, is it possible to program the lights from the controller on the light itself? I don't have a PC to program the lights using their software as I only own a Mac.

Orion120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 03:18 PM   #1129
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion120 View Post
Hello all,

What would you recommend for a tank that is 36 x 18 x 21 (57 Rimless) SPS dominant?
Also, is it possible to program the lights from the controller on the light itself? I don't have a PC to program the lights using their software as I only own a Mac.
4 tube 36" unit will be fine for that tank. If the front to back depth is 18" an 8tube unit will overhang with a tube or two lighting the floor.

As for the controller...I've never attempted to program it without a PC.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 03:19 PM   #1130
Orion120
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
4 tube 36" unit will be fine for that tank. If the front to back depth is 18" an 8tube unit will overhang with a tube or two lighting the floor.

As for the controller...I've never attempted to program it without a PC.

Thank you for the quick reply. Is it possible to program it with the onboard controller?

Orion120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 05:36 PM   #1131
reefmutt
Registered Member

Mike!
Did you follow Rodney's path and trade in your mitras for an Ati?
i promise i won't tell..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 05:37 PM   #1132
reefmutt
Registered Member

funny…. I'm following this thread as well……...

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 04/02/2014, 05:52 PM   #1133
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Mike!
Did you follow Rodney's path and trade in your mitras for an Ati?
i promise i won't tell..

Ahhh) no , i just change my frag tank fixture. DT tank still lid under 4 Mitras
Been one week with Hybrid and i cann see positive result already. Waiting to do an upgrade for my Mitras .Time will tell

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2014, 06:42 PM   #1134
ssdawood
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHUR View Post
Ahhh) no , i just change my frag tank fixture. DT tank still lid under 4 Mitras
Been one week with Hybrid and i cann see positive result already. Waiting to do an upgrade for my Mitras .Time will tell
Hey bud I know you got the new tank. I havent seen any pics. Am I missing your thread. I loved your old elso. This reef savvy tank must be a killer. I also thought you switched from mitras.

Unread 04/02/2014, 07:57 PM   #1135
reefmutt
Registered Member

Ok Mike.. Just checking!

I'll be very curious indeed to see how the same corals grow under the different lights.

I recently set up a frag system with t5 over one tank, led (radions) over another and mh/t5 over a third.. I'm going to see how the corals do in the same water but under different light sources..

Now.. It looks like it's been a few pages since anybody running an ati has posted any pics...
I want to see some up to date results...
Please..

Unread 04/02/2014, 10:10 PM   #1136
MSHUR
ugust 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdawood View Post
Hey bud I know you got the new tank. I havent seen any pics. Am I missing your thread. I loved your old elso. This reef savvy tank must be a killer. I also thought you switched from mitras.
hey bud good to hear from you. to be honest i didnt have a chance to set up a build up thread , thats why you didnt see any pic
Set up is superior ,corals growing but colors are not there..

Current Tank Info: Reef Savvy crystal glass, Profilux network system,PS -Diuna T5-10 bulbs, BK SM-300
MSHUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 05:23 AM   #1137
MrBB8
Registered Member

ati hybrid

Hi Guys, just received my 3x 75watt 4 globe, with globes already installed? ive never experienced this with ati units? anyone else had this same situation?

MrBB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 06:27 AM   #1138
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBB8 View Post
Hi Guys, just received my 3x 75watt 4 globe, with globes already installed? ive never experienced this with ati units? anyone else had this same situation?
I know in the UK the main retailer for ATI sells units without any tubes, and also does a package deal with the tubes come with the unit with a discounted package price and the tubes would be installed.

So its either that or a return from another customer...but they would have taken the tubes out etc and the unit wouldnt be new...?

Check with the retailer. In any event, you probably saved yourself $$$ in tubes (globes).

Unread 04/03/2014, 08:50 AM   #1139
Frazzz
Registered Member

Hi Sahin,

I'm up in Glasgow and recently joined the ranks of reefers using a Hybrid ATI. I have the 4x54 version.

I've got my old 6x54 dimmable powermodule that I want to sell but firstly I need to get the GHL dimming module removed (it's broke) and get it re-wired for standalone use. Any idea how to do this? Can ATI assist? I've got about 13 wires terminating in a box with the GHL dimmer module removed and no way of knowing how to wire it back together.

Plan is to sell it.

Cheers,

Frazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 09:00 AM   #1140
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzz View Post
Hi Sahin,

I'm up in Glasgow and recently joined the ranks of reefers using a Hybrid ATI. I have the 4x54 version.

I've got my old 6x54 dimmable powermodule that I want to sell but firstly I need to get the GHL dimming module removed (it's broke) and get it re-wired for standalone use. Any idea how to do this? Can ATI assist? I've got about 13 wires terminating in a box with the GHL dimmer module removed and no way of knowing how to wire it back together.

Plan is to sell it.

Cheers,
Hi, I shouldnt think its too difficult...I've rewired ATI units completely before...I could have done it for you, but you are too far away unfortunately.

Have a look on UltimateReef. I am sure there are a couple of old threads where it shows to fix the dimmable module onto the ATI units...you just need to work in reverse as it were.

You can try contact Rob at Fastlight (ATI UK Distributor)...he may be able to assist.

Or Steve at ReefDreams (who as far as I know is still the GHL person for the UK). Steve helped me out with a replacement screen for my GHL Profilux, he had a spare and sent it to me and I replaced the faulty screen...

With Steves knowledge of GHL products, I am sure he can assist you in working out how to take the module off.

To be honest I think Steve will be of more help. You may even be able to send or take your ATI unit to Steve to do the job for you for a small charge.

Hope that helps mate.

If no luck, then get back to me.

Unread 04/03/2014, 09:18 AM   #1141
Frazzz
Registered Member

Hi Sahin,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll dig about and see about how it was originally wired. I did it about 5 years ago but it does look like its a simple case of identifying the 2 sets of 3 wires that drive the ballasts on the powermodule and connecting them to the mains lead.

The unit is in lovely condition so hopefully it will sell.

Have to say, loving the ATI Hybrid. It's amazing and so flexible. Do you have any thoughts on what combo of tubes should be used?

I've got the following at the moment:

(Front)
Blue +
Coral +
LED
Purple +
Blue +

I'm starting the LEDs off as Royal Blue and ramping them up to Blue + then to Aquablue Special during the middle of the day then back down again to Blue + then Royal Blue.

The thinking is that this will give shimmer during the day along with maximum punch for growth?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Fraser

Frazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 10:11 AM   #1142
Chrisrush
Registered Member

Morning everyone.

I have a question. I have a 4ft PM Hybrid with 8 T5s and 3 LEDs over my 140 (60"x30"x20") and I am very happy with the fixture.

I am upgrading tanks in the next couple of months to a 360g (72"x42"x27") and I would like to use this fixture if possible but I'm not sure what to expect for coverage.

If I center this fixture over the tank, it will have approximately 12" on either side of the length of the tank and 6" front to back. I plan to aquascape appropriately and my plan is to avoid lighting the entire tank.

Do you think this fixture could work over the new tank? I do have MHs, VHOs and supplemental LEDs available but I would rather use this fixture first and then add later.

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 10:15 AM   #1143
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazzz View Post
Hi Sahin,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll dig about and see about how it was originally wired. I did it about 5 years ago but it does look like its a simple case of identifying the 2 sets of 3 wires that drive the ballasts on the powermodule and connecting them to the mains lead.

The unit is in lovely condition so hopefully it will sell.

Have to say, loving the ATI Hybrid. It's amazing and so flexible. Do you have any thoughts on what combo of tubes should be used?

I've got the following at the moment:

(Front)
Blue +
Coral +
LED
Purple +
Blue +

I'm starting the LEDs off as Royal Blue and ramping them up to Blue + then to Aquablue Special during the middle of the day then back down again to Blue + then Royal Blue.

The thinking is that this will give shimmer during the day along with maximum punch for growth?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Fraser
Hi. The proposed T5 lineup is exactly what I would have suggested. The alternative is 2xBlue+ and 2xCoral+.

The proposed LED cycle sounds good too. If you find it a bit too white, just use the BLUE+AQUABLUE preset or create your custom preset.

Run T5's 6-8 hours and LED's 8-10 hours etc.

The water quality and filtration is more important than what tubes or light presets you use.

Unread 04/03/2014, 10:22 AM   #1144
ormet
Just one more frag

Hello... a few months with this light now. I am blown away.

Bigger pic:
http://glasscage.orm.nu/wp-content/u.../fts140402.jpg

Coral pics
http://glasscage.orm.nu/lite-korallbilder/

Happy reefing :-)

Current Tank Info: 225 litres SPS

Last edited by ormet; 04/03/2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: stupid tapatalk
ormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 10:30 AM   #1145
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrush View Post
Morning everyone.

I have a question. I have a 4ft PM Hybrid with 8 T5s and 3 LEDs over my 140 (60"x30"x20") and I am very happy with the fixture.

I am upgrading tanks in the next couple of months to a 360g (72"x42"x27") and I would like to use this fixture if possible but I'm not sure what to expect for coverage.

If I center this fixture over the tank, it will have approximately 12" on either side of the length of the tank and 6" front to back. I plan to aquascape appropriately and my plan is to avoid lighting the entire tank.

Do you think this fixture could work over the new tank? I do have MHs, VHOs and supplemental LEDs available but I would rather use this fixture first and then add later.
The 4ft 8tube PM will cover the front to back easy. No issues there.

However, other than chalices, you wont be able to keep much else on the far edges/sides. You can of course add wide angle PAR38 style LED lighting later on which IMO would still look pretty neat each sitting on the sides of the ATI unit. Or even buy a couple of small LED units...heck you can even add a couple of AI's/Radions if you find them for cheap used etc later on, if you hang them neatly, it will look pretty cool.

IMO its not much of a big deal. I would rather keep the ATI (unless you can get fairly close to what you paid for).

Unread 04/03/2014, 10:36 AM   #1146
Chrisrush
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
The 4ft 8tube PM will cover the front to back easy. No issues there.

However, other than chalices, you wont be able to keep much else on the far edges/sides. You can of course add wide angle PAR38 style LED lighting later on which IMO would still look pretty neat each sitting on the sides of the ATI unit. Or even buy a couple of small LED units...heck you can even add a couple of AI's/Radions if you find them for cheap used etc later on, if you hang them neatly, it will look pretty cool.

IMO its not much of a big deal. I would rather keep the ATI (unless you can get fairly close to what you paid for).
Thanks. Glad to hear your response. I'd rather keep the PM and sell the rest. The tank is rimless but with a canopy. Not sure how to proceed with that. I'd like to keep the heat and moisture out of my office but I also like the look of a rimless tank. Plus I need to cool the fixture (not that it gets as hot as MH).

Current Tank Info: 2015 Reef Savvy Dream Tank Winner
Chrisrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2014, 10:37 AM   #1147
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormet View Post
Hello... a few months with this light now. I am blown away.

Bigger pic:
http://glasscage.orm.nu/wp-content/u.../fts140402.jpg

Coral pics
http://glasscage.orm.nu/lite-korallbilder/

Happy reefing :-)
WOW!!! Looks beautiful! Future TOTM!

Unread 04/03/2014, 10:40 AM   #1148
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrush View Post
Thanks. Glad to hear your response. I'd rather keep the PM and sell the rest. The tank is rimless but with a canopy. Not sure how to proceed with that. I'd like to keep the heat and moisture out of my office but I also like the look of a rimless tank. Plus I need to cool the fixture (not that it gets as hot as MH).
If you can make a floating canopy, you can keep the ATI unit and the extra DIY or off the shelf LED units hidden within the floating canopy and still retain a rimless tank.

Unread 04/03/2014, 02:33 PM   #1149
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

OK, so I just got a PM from a member asking me to try to configure my light using the controller instead of a PC.

Is it easy? Yes. Does it take time? Yes. Can anyone do it? Yes.

I am very familiar with the controller and software so found it easy. However, it can take a bit of time to get going - its just that without seeing a graph of your light cycle on a PC screen, its hard to visualise light cycle.

Anyway all I did was look at this: http://www.atinorthamerica.com/cmsAd...uick_Start.pdf

And then started to click buttons.

After I had changed my program slightly, I then downloaded it into the desktop software to see what I had done. Turns out its alright.

I also changed the presets very easily...you even get to see an active preview of what the colour looks like etc, with each click the light changes the LED's channels depending on which colour channel you are changing etc.

Everyone just keeps repeating its not worth it, but they most likely haven't tried tried to program the controller. In fact, I hadnt tried it myself until the PM asking me to try to program it and let them know..

Now I KNOW its not as bad as everyone makes out. Here is what I noticed:

1 . Creating custom presets is EASY.

2. Choosing either a CUSTOM or PREDEFINED preset is EASY. Custom Presets are numbered 1-5 and the PREDEFINED are called BLUE+ AQUABLUE etc etc.

3. The number 000 to 255 = 0% to 100% in terms of 0=off and 100=full brightness. So, 63=25%, 127=50%, 191=75% brightness and everything else in between.

You get a maximum of 10 set points; where the start and end set point must be 000. You must set a minimum of 4 set point for EACH channel whether it be T5 channel 1, 2 or LED channel 1, 2, 3 etc...

Eg: Start= 000, End=000 and two points in between for your prefered light cycle. So, you would program as follows:

Setpoint/time/intensity or brightness
01/10:00/000
02/11:00/255
03/18:00/255
04/21:00/0000

So, you MUST have a minimum of 4 set points...or make that list upto 10.
-Thats how it would appear for the T5 channels.

-For the LED clusters it would appear as
Setpoint/time/intensity or brightness/LED Channel levels
01/10:00/000 + PRESET1
02/11:00/255 + AQUABLUE
03/18:00/255 + BLUE+
04/21:00/0000 + PRESET1

Again, you MUST have a minimum of 4 set points...or make that list upto 10.

So for the LED SPOTS you are basically setting for each set point, a time value, intensity value AND you tie in the relevant look: ie PRESET1 or BLUE+, CORAL+ etc etc.

5. Within the controller MENU, the word: COLOURS means CUSTOM PRESETS...enter within the COLOURS setting to setup your custom presets.

Its basically a mix of the 4 channels for EACH preset:

Eg Preset 1 = 000-255 RED/000-255 ROYAL BLUE/000-255 BLUE/000-255 WHITE

6. I have an 8 tube T5 unit with 1 cluster, therefore the Controllers ID's as follows, T5 Channel 1, T5 Channel 2, LED SPOT 1 (if you have more LED clusters, they will be called LED SPOT 2, LED SPOT 3 etc...

7. The MAIN reason its been repeated that it tedious etc is because it is assumed you have to do so many button presses...not really... to go from 000 to 255, you dont press the button 255 times! just press up so it changes from 000 to 255, rather than pressing down which makes it count up with each button press. You can also hold the button down and it will count up slightly fast.

There you have it. Not hard at all. You just need to sit down, take a deep breath, chill out a bit and play with the controller for a while.

Unread 04/03/2014, 04:19 PM   #1150
dbsalinas89
Registered Member

Ready to click buy on 4x48" t5 3x 75w LED hybrid powermodule for my 90 gallon reef thats 3 months old. Any site suggestions? Or suggestions on the smaller fixture?????? All help appreciated

dbsalinas89 is offline   Reply With Quote