Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/24/2012, 07:53 AM   #1
reeferlover
Moved On

why test ur water

i have a friend who never tests his water just drips kalk once in a while his tank is amazing sps grow like crazy colors are amazing and honestly this is my first tank that i really test idk if anyone will admit it but does anyone not really test their water and just go with how their tank looks instead

reeferlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 08:32 AM   #2
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

testing is important due to simple fact u need to know ur water parameters. once u start using kalk or cal reactor or 2 part u need to test to figure the daily consumption so u can dose accordingly. once set then u can leave testing alone if u are confident in ur setup.
i run cal reactor on my setup and after several weeks of testing i knew my parameters were right on spot each time i checked so i went to monthly testing and now i check every 3-4 months.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Yedgy
Registered Member

Keeping a reef without testing the water is analogous to driving a car with no instrument panel. It'll get you to work and back, but you might get the occasional speeding ticket and you never really know how much gas is in the tank or whether anything under the hood needs your attention.

Unread 12/24/2012, 10:08 AM   #4
reeferlover
Moved On

Lol i totally test now tht i use a kalk reactor and running sps dominated it just amazes me how many people dont test anything but salinty and r successful

Unread 12/24/2012, 11:47 AM   #5
mattyp54
Registered Member

Testing is the key to a successful tank

mattyp54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 11:49 AM   #6
mattyp54
Registered Member

I only started out testing sparingly but when I started testing regularly my tank really took off !!!

Unread 12/24/2012, 11:52 AM   #7
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Some get by without testing at all.

For me,personally, it would be like joining the NFL ,not for long, league. I don't trust my personal observation skills without testing enough to get by without it.

I test frequently, probably to excess, but I'm always looking for clues to improve the aquariums or head off an undesireable event early on.

Besides if I didn't test ,I'd have nothing to worry about and my aquariums would run fine until they didn't.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 02:30 PM   #8
reefgeezer
Registered Member

People with well established systems can learn how to "read signs" in the tank. For example: Loss of color may mean an alk swing to them so they know to add kalk or something; a spot of algae might indicate the need for GFO change; or a slowing of growth might mean a water change is needed. Unfortunately, for the rest of us, testing is required.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/24/2012, 03:22 PM   #9
bertoni
RC Mod

There are lots of tanks out there, and some people are going to be lucky with their setups. In addition, I agree that watching the animals is a good substitute for a fair number of tests, if you have experience with your setup.

Unread 12/24/2012, 06:14 PM   #10
reeferlover
Moved On

Yeah I have been testing a lot with my new tank. I had a sps develope stn and was trying to figure it out. Weird. I have no idea why. Everything is rocking out. It just slowly started to look like the tissue was getting thinner and thinner. Even my sensitive deep water sps are doing awesome. I just figure it's a artifical system and sometimes it happens.

Unread 12/24/2012, 11:44 PM   #11
mattyp54
Registered Member

I can read the signs of what my rank needs but it's still a good idea to back it up with testing

Unread 12/25/2012, 12:48 AM   #12
scarface70706
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyp54 View Post
I can read the signs of what my rank needs but it's still a good idea to back it up with testing
yup this is what i do with my tank. but i only test maybe once a month if that. i set mine up to where i really dont have to do anything but little things like change filter socks, ato w/ kalk, and media (gfo/carbon) the bio pellets lets me go on for awhile w/o a water change. the longest was about 2 months i did a w/c because i was bored lol. (normally i do bi weekly w/c) its all in the set up

scarface70706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2012, 03:31 PM   #13
s_luark
Registered Member

Some awesome metaphors here lol, testing for me is insurance that I'm doing everything I can not to lose those 120$ sps mini colonies!

s_luark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2012, 04:12 PM   #14
Mussin
Registered Member

When I first started out I tested weekly, then monthly, then bi monthly, then... I do test for salinity about once a week. I just watch my fish corals if stuff starts looking funny I get the test kits out.

Jeremy

Unread 12/25/2012, 05:21 PM   #15
bertoni
RC Mod

That's what I did, too. Eventually, it was once a month or so for alkalinity, temperature, and SG, and less often for magnesium and calcium.

Unread 12/25/2012, 06:07 PM   #16
markaren
Registered Member

Side note: Jeremy, Do you race that Mustang?

Current Tank Info: Oceanic 76G Half Circle/XP2000SSS/MP40Wes/Radion Gen1, Tunze Osmolator ATO...Maturing Stage
markaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/25/2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferlover View Post
i have a friend who never tests his water just drips kalk once in a while his tank is amazing sps grow like crazy colors are amazing and honestly this is my first tank that i really test idk if anyone will admit it but does anyone not really test their water and just go with how their tank looks instead
I used to not test. In fact, my reef aquarium at that point was featured as a TOTM online.
I used kalkwasser for topoff and did regular water changes.
Too bad I wasn't testing back then because my reef aquarium could have been a LOT better!

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2012, 01:11 AM   #18
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I used to test very infrequently and when I felt like it or thought I observed a problem with the animals nuisance algae,etc.
I had healthy corals for a year or two at a time but something would always set them back .
It can be tedious to test. Some kits are inaccurate. Why spend $ on test kits and testing equipment instead of live stock and other more fun stuff anyway;I reasoned.

Now , I test: alk 2x per week, calcium once every 2 weeks ,mag once a month, PO4 every day(a habit and probably 2x per week would be more reasonable) , NO3 once every 2 weeks . I monitor,temp sg,ph and orp ; read and log them daily. Potassium, iron and iodide are pretty steady and checked every 6 weeks or so.
Since testing more and tweaking things now and then based on the test results,I've enjoyed a 4 year + run including tank of the month honors without significant issues with corals ,other invertebrates or fish.
I can tell when reef animals are unhappy and watch mine closely ; but, I'd rather head off any stress events related to parameters by keeping things steady and continue to not see them unhappy.

My rationale in my earlier working life (I'm retired) and now in my hobby is that there are many things that can't be quantified ;but, many can with at least some degree of accuracy . Objective quantifiable measures won't lie to you unless you make them. Quantifiable data can have a useful clearing reality check effect on views through rose colored glasses. Data can be very useful in managing water quality and chemistry to advantage the live stock significantly,imo.
Of course ,interpretting the data and extrapolating from it are another set of skills that come with time and experience ; not unlike "reading the signs" from the animals,reading the signs in the numbers and reacting in a measured appropriate way can be very helpful before rather than after something goes awry.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2012, 03:29 AM   #19
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

I'm the super lazy one for sure. I have tested my tank once since last April sometime. I never even check salinity when doing a water change either. If something looks off, I usually figure out pretty quick. My system loves alkalinity so I dose that pretty regularly.

If I tested my tank right now, alk would be between 7.5-8.5; calcium between 400-430; mag around 1400 and salinity at about 1.025.

I would love to be better about testing but I know this tank so well that often I don't need to. My new setup will be tested weekly for the first three months while I dial all the new equipment in.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/26/2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Mussin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaren View Post
Side note: Jeremy, Do you race that Mustang?
Sure do.. I race 1/4 mile.

Jeremy

Unread 01/08/2013, 06:03 PM   #21
vitz
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefgeezer View Post
People with well established systems can learn how to "read signs" in the tank. For example: Loss of color may mean an alk swing to them so they know to add kalk or something; a spot of algae might indicate the need for GFO change; or a slowing of growth might mean a water change is needed. Unfortunately, for the rest of us, testing is required.
this

i haven't tested my own tanks' water(s) for yrs

i do recommend to all beginners/noobs to test religiously

long term experience and keen observation can sometimes catch a developing issue even before testing does. however, testing NEVER hurts, and is a great way to confirm an 'educated hunch'

i worked for awhile at a large wholesaler in socal and i was more obssesive about testing than the owners were -all they could do was moan about the cost of reagents, regardless of how many thousands of fish i might be saving because of it, heh

vitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2013, 06:56 PM   #22
vitz
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeferlover View Post
Yeah I have been testing a lot with my new tank. I had a sps develope stn and was trying to figure it out. Weird. I have no idea why. Everything is rocking out. It just slowly started to look like the tissue was getting thinner and thinner. Even my sensitive deep water sps are doing awesome. I just figure it's a artifical system and sometimes it happens.

there's a reason for everything that happens in any closed system-nothing 'just happens'

although, from most of your posts i've read, it doesn't surprise me you'd say something like that

vitz is offline   Reply With Quote