Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2010, 10:01 AM   #26
thebkramer
Registered Member

Thanks jenjen!!! Yes...NOOOO to anymore fake stuff, and NO Diver Dan

I wish I could take full credit for the names, but they are "approved" by my daughter if she can't think of a name lol

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 12:54 PM   #27
DustinB
Registered Member

Cool looking tank. How long has it been setup? I take it the castles are covered in coralline algae?

DustinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 06:55 PM   #28
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinB View Post
Cool looking tank. How long has it been setup? I take it the castles are covered in coralline algae?
Thanks
I've had the tank for just over 2.5 yrs with a crash about 7mos ago But things are finally flourishing again!!! Just started to add livestock (fish are done) and now going to add a few more pieces of coral, nothing over the top, along with a couple sexy shrimp.
Yes, the castles are beyond covered in coralline, feather dusters, corals, sponges and many "critter" use it as their home. Its become another piece of LR in my tank!! It took some time...but it was well worth it to me!

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
Unread 05/25/2010, 11:31 AM   #29
thebkramer
Registered Member

1st Video!!!

So..here is my first video.
I'm nervous...lol I don't know how good quality is, my computer cannot handle videos. I hope you enjoy it. Bare with me, it is my first! You will get to see how my starry blenny comes to say Hi when I knock on glass infront of "his" cave! Also, keep in mind, all the macro is gone. (I received $20 for it!) And my cactus is now in my right castle with the King of Neptune City (Frodo, the starry blenny) I also no longer have the huge rock of buttons. I now have a frogspawn Anyways...here it is.... (so nervous of what ya think)

View My Video

Unread 05/25/2010, 03:47 PM   #30
thebkramer
Registered Member

Pics of My Tigertail Sea Cucumber....

[IMG]http://i48.*******.com/2cdy4gx.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i50.*******.com/30u8jte.jpg[/IMG]

He has to be THE BEST sand cleaner EVER!!

Unread 05/25/2010, 04:00 PM   #31
dcombs44
Registered Member

Nice Job.

I too like the castle, and typically laugh when I see that stuff in the stores.

Very cool. Nice and clean too!

Return: Mag Drive 700
Controller: ReefKeeper Lite (Basic Version)
Circulation: TBD
Age of System: Build is in Progress
dcombs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2010, 05:11 PM   #32
jenjen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebkramer View Post
So..here is my first video.
Great video! I love how active your tank is!

Current Tank Info: 180gal softy reef (Apr '09)
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 11:24 AM   #33
thebkramer
Registered Member

Just wanted to share some shots of my tenants :)

This is Frodo...the King of Neptune City

[IMG]http://i46.*******.com/jpd9pg.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2n1bdih.jpg[/IMG]

This is Cheeky Monkey cleaning Frodo

[IMG]http://i49.*******.com/2djno9j.jpg[/IMG]

My little Green Goblin (he reminds me of the clown from IT)

[IMG]http://i48.*******.com/2iid2f4.jpg[/IMG]

Zinger in one of his "chill" spots

[IMG]http://i48.*******.com/ffb803.jpg[/IMG]

I know its kinda blurry, but Tashi just won't stay still long enough!

[IMG]http://i47.*******.com/20h440.jpg[/IMG]

Better shot alone of Cheeky Monkey

[IMG]http://i50.*******.com/4qkll5.jpg[/IMG]

This little guy doesn't have a name yet...any suggestions?

[IMG]http://i50.*******.com/2we9llj.jpg[/IMG]

Unread 05/26/2010, 11:26 AM   #34
thebkramer
Registered Member

...and a few more....

A pic of Rajah before he found "his" spot

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/zkl35d.jpg[/IMG]

Best shot of Zulu & Zula (they're scared of Camera)

[IMG]http://i50.*******.com/2n8slxs.jpg[/IMG]

and of course Kora

[IMG]http://i45.*******.com/30k661z.jpg[/IMG]

last but not least....Bosley

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/riui38.jpg[/IMG]

I hope to get some better shots, but these will do for now. I really want to get a shot of Tashi showing off her pretty colors! I'm also hoping to get a shot of my tailspot in his new sleeping quarters...a empty turbo shell! Too cute!

BTW...Thank you very much dcombs and jenjen!! I really appreciate the feedback!!!

Unread 05/26/2010, 03:41 PM   #35
100%hydrophylic
Registered Member

what macro algae is that?

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 28g nano SPS
100%hydrophylic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 03:48 PM   #36
mthomp
Registered Member

for the one you havent named yet. i thought it was pretty obvious. Spot!!

mthomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 03:51 PM   #37
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%hydrophylic View Post
what macro algae is that?
Chaetomorpha, halimeda and caulerpa.

Unread 05/26/2010, 03:51 PM   #38
KnightReefer
Registered Member

I figured I would stop in and offer some praise and ask a few questions. I love the amount of color and activity in the tank. Your appraoch to stocking is similiar to how I want mine to be, less large fish and more smaller colorful ones. Now on to the questions:

Do you have some type of cover/netting for the top of the tank? Flasher Wrasse are known jumpers and I would like one eventually so I am curious about this.

Have you experienced any nipping of corals or aggression from your coral beauty? When was it added it terms of the stocking order?

Does the cucumber do a good job of cleaning the sand? Do any of the fish bother it? Also, how big is it and where did you purchase it from?

With all that said the tank looks great and it is very unique. It is a great tank for both an adult and a child as previously stated!

Current Tank Info: 90g Reef
KnightReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 03:51 PM   #39
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp View Post
for the one you havent named yet. i thought it was pretty obvious. Spot!!
LOL...I offered that up to my daughter and she said, "Ewwww no way!"

Unread 05/26/2010, 03:54 PM   #40
mthomp
Registered Member

Quote:
LOL...I offered that up to my daughter and she said, "Ewwww no way!"
well if that didnt go over so well my other choice would be Apatche, since it looks like he has war paint.

Unread 05/26/2010, 04:00 PM   #41
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomp View Post
well if that didnt go over so well my other choice would be Apatche, since it looks like he has war paint.
I actually really like that...let me go see what her majesty thinks lol...

Looks like you may have just named our tailspot! She likes it As long as noone posts something she'll like more lol Apatche (Apachi) will be written in stone.
Thanks!

Unread 05/26/2010, 04:00 PM   #42
jenjen
Registered Member

How old is this daughter we're trying to impress??? And is it a 'he' or 'she' (the fish, not the daughter!)?

Current Tank Info: 180gal softy reef (Apr '09)
jenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2010, 04:10 PM   #43
mthomp
Registered Member

glad i could help.

Unread 05/26/2010, 04:13 PM   #44
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightReefer View Post
I figured I would stop in and offer some praise and ask a few questions. I love the amount of color and activity in the tank. Your appraoch to stocking is similiar to how I want mine to be, less large fish and more smaller colorful ones. Now on to the questions:
Do you have some type of cover/netting for the top of the tank? Flasher Wrasse are known jumpers and I would like one eventually so I am curious about this.
Have you experienced any nipping of corals or aggression from your coral beauty? When was it added it terms of the stocking order?
Does the cucumber do a good job of cleaning the sand? Do any of the fish bother it? Also, how big is it and where did you purchase it from?
With all that said the tank looks great and it is very unique. It is a great tank for both an adult and a child as previously stated!
Thank you very much! I went with smaller, nicer fish this round. My first time we did aggressive and ended up limited with what we could put in...no fun.
Q&A:
When I bought my glass lids they came with plastic attachments to cover the gap between glass and tank. I cut them so that no fish could jump out, but yet the tank could "breathe". My Coral Beauty does not nip at any of the corals. My previous CB also did not and I had that one for 2yrs. I put this CB in 2nd to last. I've had her for bout a month. I'm still dealing with the HLLE But she is getting better. The tigertail is an amazing cleaner!! I love it. Unfortunately, he will eventally have to be given to a reefer with a much bigger tank. They can get to be 2ft sometimes longer. He is about 8 inches now. No, none of my fish bother it, not even my most ill tempered starry blenny who just recently got in a sparring match with a bristleworm a couple days ago and looked like a dog who got too close to a porcupine! He's better now got the tigertail from my LFS, they special ordered it for me from Quality Marine. (they are sponsered by liveaquaria, so they probably got it from them)
Thanks again for the compliments and taking the time to view my thread!!

Unread 05/26/2010, 04:15 PM   #45
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen View Post
How old is this daughter we're trying to impress??? And is it a 'he' or 'she' (the fish, not the daughter!)?
She's 13..need I say more? lol Don't know if tailspot is m or f! I'm going with male.

Unread 05/26/2010, 06:51 PM   #46
100%hydrophylic
Registered Member

Quote:
Chaetomorpha, halimeda and caulerpa.
[IMG]http://i48.*******.com/2iid2f4.jpg[/IMG]
its a type of caulerpa

caulepra is a genus name. by chance do you know a more specific species name? thank you!

Unread 05/26/2010, 07:17 PM   #47
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%hydrophylic View Post
caulepra is a genus name. by chance do you know a more specific species name? thank you!
LOL...sorry
I was thinking you probably wanted to know that, I should have added it in huh?
It is racemosa peltata and I also have some nummularia mixed in.

Unread 05/26/2010, 09:14 PM   #48
100%hydrophylic
Registered Member

ohh ok thanks! i thought it might be peltata, but none of the pics i came across looked as good as yours. i really want to integrate marine "plants" and macro algae into my mixed reef, but i have a hard time finding any i like around my area.

i love how yours looks.

Unread 05/26/2010, 09:30 PM   #49
thebkramer
Registered Member

Thanks...and it grows like mad!!! When its really full, both my yellow and green clown gobies love to hide in it. Even my hermits try to climb to top of tank, its quite hilarious. I just sold a bunch to LFS for $20. I can't wait for it to get wild again! lol Nice way to pay for fish food or something else I may need to grab!
Actually, if you haven't come across any you like, I would be more than happy to ship some to you. Just pm me

Unread 05/26/2010, 11:45 PM   #50
super stooge
Registered Member

awesome awesome awesome.
i love your tank, it literally oozes personality. i wish i was brave enough to place some ornaments in my tank but alas, im not (although i did see a dinosaur that spits out bubbles every so often i liked the other day .....)

good to hear that your new tailspot is fitting in well, and frodo poking his head out when you tap on the glass was too funny.

P.S seems kind of unfair that only 1 of the four nass snails has a name, playing favorites are we?

Salty Sense YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMMGmajiuOnA3ntKDPkGEqQ
super stooge is offline   Reply With Quote