Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/21/2006, 02:25 AM   #1
itscold
Registered Member

New to Reefs, need some help and advice :)

Hey guys!

I found this site while searching the net, and after a couple days reading some articles and forum posts, I have become addicted to reefs. I have some experience keeping cichlids, but this seems so much more difficult, but rewarding of course.

So after scraping up all my change, I went out to buy a 55 gallon tank, and now im ready to start up my tank! But first, I have a few questions.

Firstly, what equipment do i need? Is a sump necessary? Also, Do i need a protein skimmer?

Next, what fish can I keep in a tank of this size? I was thinking about Percula clowns, but it would be nice to have other fish in the tank too.

Lastly, does anyone know where I can live rock and live sand online in Australia? I've checked my LFS, but they don't seem to have any salt water fish. They only seem to stock cichlids and goldfish and stuff.

Well thanks in advance!

itscold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2006, 06:06 AM   #2
jeffb3t
Registered Member

First, I would everything in this: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=166836

As far as equipment, A sump is nice. Great place to put extra equipment and stuff. Protein skimmer? Yes. It will help take out a lot of stuff you really don't want in there. For fish, I would go with a max of 5 or 6 fish provided you keep up on water changes and skimming. For the rest of the equipment you will need, I woould check out many of the different setups featured on this site and see what everyone uses and how they have it set up instead of taking just a couple peoples advice.

jeffb3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2006, 06:08 AM   #3
jeffb3t
Registered Member

BTW, Welcome to RC!!! I wish you the best of luck in setting your new tank up.

jeffb3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2006, 09:51 AM   #4
hawaiianwargod
Registered Member

itscold

To Reef Central

[E] levated
[L] evel
[O] f
[S] weetness

Current Tank Info: 210+ - "G" Elos 160XL [~]
hawaiianwargod is offline   Reply With Quote