Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2017, 12:26 PM   #1
chris.viner87
Registered Member

Reefer or custom?

Right guys I need your help.
I thought I was sold on a custom, but I keep looking at the reefers and worry that I’ll regret not getting a reefer if the custom tank isn’t built to the same quality.
What are your thoughts? Reefer or custom?
Things going through my head now are:
Custom pros
1. Match the existing furniture
2. Pelmet to hide a tank cover to avoid fish jumping out and kids throwing stuff in
3. Made to measure and cheaper (about £1k cheaper!)
Custom cons:
1. Tank build quality might not be as good
Reefer pros
1. Look awesome and great build quality (enough said)
Reefer cons
1. The width will make access to the sump challenging due existing furniture and size of cabinet doors (sofa near to tank) - this is the biggest challenge for me
2. Not a steel frame, so I worry about longevity and I’ve seen people have issues with damaged cabinets when they receive their reefer
3. I’d have to get a huge cover, which I don’t particularly like the look of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris.viner87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Rjvb87
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.viner87 View Post
Right guys I need your help.
I thought I was sold on a custom, but I keep looking at the reefers and worry that I’ll regret not getting a reefer if the custom tank isn’t built to the same quality.
What are your thoughts? Reefer or custom?
Things going through my head now are:
Custom pros
1. Match the existing furniture
2. Pelmet to hide a tank cover to avoid fish jumping out and kids throwing stuff in
3. Made to measure and cheaper (about £1k cheaper!)
Custom cons:
1. Tank build quality might not be as good
Reefer pros
1. Look awesome and great build quality (enough said)
Reefer cons
1. The width will make access to the sump challenging due existing furniture and size of cabinet doors (sofa near to tank) - this is the biggest challenge for me
2. Not a steel frame, so I worry about longevity and I’ve seen people have issues with damaged cabinets when they receive their reefer
3. I’d have to get a huge cover, which I don’t particularly like the look of

I have Aqueon 180 tank and stand with a custom hood I had made and all custom sump I built with reactors UV etc etc etc......

I just bought a Red Sea Reefer and got a killer deal on it. I bought a white trim 750 XXL. I have a build thread started in this forum. It was shipped incredibly well with ZERO damage no missing parts no problems, I just filled it last week and am starting to transfer everything from my existing 180 to the new reefer... anything you want to know about the reefer I’m more then happy to help I’m in central NJ if you’d like to come see it at my house

Rjvb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 01:00 AM   #3
chris.viner87
Registered Member

Thanks I’ll take a look at your thread - I’m uk based, so a visit won’t be possible, but thanks for the invite!

chris.viner87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 07:31 PM   #4
rocsec1
Registered Member

If I could afford it I would buy a custom tank, but I cant afford one so I am happy with my 120 but someday I will get a large custom tank.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote