Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/02/2020, 10:14 PM   #1
Mickey13
Registered Member

yellow tang seems to be not eating

I recently added 3 tangs to my tank. I already had 3 in there along with a few other fish and everybody is getting along and eating except 1 yellow tang. he is new and he has basically staked out a hiding place. whenever any other tang comes by, he whips out for a fight and runs back in. he is not the smallest tang in the tank, but he is the 2nd smallest. he gets along with everyone else, have a clownfish that he likes to get close to. these 3 new fish have been in there about a week now.

so my concern is that he doesnt come out to feed with the rest of the herd and he is looking skinny.

i was thinking about trying to catch him (not sure it would be that easy) and putting him in a acclimation box or another tank to get him eating.

he might be picking off algae or getting some floating scraps but he is definitely not coming out to eat.

any suggestions?

Mickey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2020, 10:25 PM   #2
Mickey13
Registered Member

Unread 02/05/2020, 01:44 PM   #3
teddscau
Registered Member

Have you tried target feeding him? I'd also recommend trying Hikari Omega Enriched Brine Shrimp. Even the pickiest of my fish love the stuff. You could also try tying nori near his hidey hole.

Dotty the firefish, Delilah and Little Henry Ocellaris clownfish, Pixel (convict tang) and Darwin (blue tang), pyjama cardinalfish, Riku and Kenji the orchid and elongate dottybacks, and Jeremy (yello

Current Tank Info: 160g reef tank with mushrooms, leathers, zoas, SPS corals, NPS corals, firefish, a school of pyjama cardinalfish, a pair of designer Ocellaris, two tangs, a striped blenny, two dottybacks, and a watchman goby
teddscau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2020, 06:33 AM   #4
Mickey13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddscau View Post
Have you tried target feeding him? I'd also recommend trying Hikari Omega Enriched Brine Shrimp. Even the pickiest of my fish love the stuff. You could also try tying nori near his hidey hole.
thanks for the advice. little guy didnt make it. maybe he was wild caught, maybe he had a parasite. no idea. all the other tangs are eating and rest of the tank seems fine atm. i started feeding them NLS Hex shield just in case. they didnt like it much day 1 but hunger has set in and they are gobbling it up after i soak it in garlic. i usually overfeed so they are missing that right now.

i did get him from a trusted source but i guess even a bad fish slips through every now and then. blame myself mostly on this one. im guessing probably could have avoided if i wasnt being so friendly with the LFS guy and really paying attention to the fish he was keeping.