Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/08/2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Jet Black
I finally found this!

Tips on clams?

I've always wanted one of the blue maximas but probably going to have to start with something with a lower price tag.

I just put in an order from BRS for Ca, Mg, and Alk. Ill be setting up my doser shortly.
Parameters as of last night, Red Sea kits:
Nitrates, 0
Phosphates, 0
Alk, 5.3
Ca, 370
Mg, 1400
Temp fluctuates between 79 and 84, cant seem to get it to cool off with two large desk fans. Im not sure how the alk stays so low but when I check (10:00pm) its always around 5.5, one of the things I hope to fix with the doser. I will not be adding any clams until I'm sure I have my parameters absolutely stable. So far my SPS trials are doing well and I haven't lost any frags(knock on wood) so something is going right.

I was planning on putting the clam on the sand bed, tanks 16in deep, Jeff's awesome LEDs 2in off the water, so enough light.

My ultimate goal is something like the one at Your Reef I saw a few months ago

What things should I be looking for when buying a clam? What are good prices, derasa, maxima, squamosa,(kinda vague, I know there are a LOT of factors but general guidelines)? Are there any good stores around here that have clams? Your Reef seems to be the only one I know of.

Please point out anything wrong/what I should be doing

Unread 08/08/2013, 11:49 PM   #2
GrizFyrFyter
Moved On

I'm told they use a lo of Ca, the smaller ones need to be fed more often. Aquarium Depot has some too.

I really want one but I need to get my parameters stable also, bringing my mag up from 900 has reaked havoc with my Ca and Kh.

GrizFyrFyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 02:17 AM   #3
toky916
Registered Member

I have bought a tiny one don't feed still alive till today not to much growth but color got way better than when I got it.

Btw I don't supplement also could be an issue maybe with sps

toky916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 06:34 AM   #4
BJCollie
Registered Member

I am curious about your Alk. Is 5.3 meq/l or dkh? Neither seem correct, what is your pH?

BJCollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 07:19 AM   #5
HV1990
Registered Member

Jet first thing I would look at is the foot of the clam if buying small. You are on the correct course by waiting for your parameters to be more consistent. If you do get one I would buy some reef epoxy sticks and make a cradle for the clam this will help secure it and not allow anything to eat the clams foot and destroy the clam.

For your temp it does sound like a chiller may be needed but since we are getting closer to winter you have time to save up. Good luck.

Current Tank Info: 120g Mixed reef tank
HV1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 07:22 AM   #6
tcoral
Registered Member

clams use a lot of alk too make sure it's stable. If it is your first clam go durasa or squamosa since they are easier and hardier. Look for a healthy foot. Crocea and Maximas have a larger opening in their shells which can be damaged and can be attacked by worms and stuff. 20 gallons is pretty small though since these clams can get big and suck the alk and ca right out of the water! Croceas are the smaller of the bunch and can come in nice colors too.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon tank- gone to better things
tcoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Jet Black
I finally found this!

It says 5.3 dKH, Ill test agian to make sure it wasn't a bad test. I don't have a pH test, I couldn't get my Apex to calibrate but it keeps saying mid 7s. Got a few sets of the testing fluid in my order from BRS, if it doesn't work Ill contact Neptune.

By cradle do you mean like smushing epoxy to where its like a rock around the foot? I was really hoping to get by without a chiller, the space, electricity and mostly the pricetag

Going into the 75 Tina

What would a healthy foot look like?

Unread 08/09/2013, 01:44 PM   #8
BJCollie
Registered Member

5.3dKH = ~1.9meq/l

With your Ca at 370 your balance looks good, just need to raise both Alk and Ca a little.

BJCollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/09/2013, 01:45 PM   #9
GrizFyrFyter
Moved On

Kalkwasser.

I can donate some if you need it.

Unread 08/09/2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Jet Black
I finally found this!

Started another batch just a few minutes ago, upping the dosage. I don't know how come it isn't going up, but checked it again and its at 5.6 dKH.

Unread 08/09/2013, 02:38 PM   #11
tcoral
Registered Member

found this again that explains it better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIexBFpjcLw

also, this is good too:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/153218-a-faq-on-clams/

Unread 08/09/2013, 02:42 PM   #12
GrizFyrFyter
Moved On

Good stuff.

Unread 08/09/2013, 03:53 PM   #13
Jet Black
I finally found this!

Good read Tina thanks. My sand bed is really thin, 1in, bare in the high flow area. Would I not be allowed to keep anything on the sand? I'm assuming that if I did the epoxy covering and placed it in the deepest area it wouldn't need to go any deeper? How do they protect their foot? And how do maximas bury themselves in rock?

Unread 08/09/2013, 09:46 PM   #14
tcoral
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Good read Tina thanks. My sand bed is really thin, 1in, bare in the high flow area. Would I not be allowed to keep anything on the sand? I'm assuming that if I did the epoxy covering and placed it in the deepest area it wouldn't need to go any deeper? How do they protect their foot? And how do maximas bury themselves in rock?
I believe that the durasas and that other big clam can go on the sand bed. The others have fibers that come out of that opening that attach to the rock. I think I've read that crocea has something that disolves the rock that they can bore into a rock:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...50&pcatid=1650

here's a discussion of keeping them in substrate, you can put a rock under them but I've tried that and keeping them on the rock when they grow can be an issue (I've had one tear their foot from becoming unbalanced from a smaller rock they outgrew).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=257796

Unread 08/12/2013, 07:43 AM   #15
tcoral
Registered Member

YR has durasas right now and a not so pretty clam (dark brown) at a good price that's either a crocea or a maxima at a really low price, I think it was $35. It's better to test how a cheap clam does in your tank than a $150 dollar maxima . It was healthy though (and probably has a great personality, LOL). The smaller durasas I believe were $45. This was before any discounts. I picked up a durasa yesterday.

Unread 08/12/2013, 09:10 AM   #16
Jet Black
I finally found this!

Cool thanks for the heads up! I don't think I can get up there anytime soon. What's this talk about discounts?

Unread 08/12/2013, 09:13 AM   #17
GrizFyrFyter
Moved On

For contributing members. Seems pretty common in the stores around here. Even the store I don't shop at gives member discounts.

I looked at the clams at your reef yesterday. I thought the 2" deresa clams were $35. They were brown and gold with a blue line around the mantel.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1376320428627.jpg (87.3 KB, 25 views)
Unread 08/12/2013, 02:21 PM   #18
jeffm59
Registered Member

Quote:
Cool thanks for the heads up! I don't think I can get up there anytime soon. What's this talk about discounts?
MARS membership gets you a discount at YR, Aquarium Depot and at Aqua Life -- a few items are not included like sale items and very low margin items (salt)

Just flash that fancy MARS membership card

Unread 08/12/2013, 02:31 PM   #19
cota472
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm59 View Post
MARS membership gets you a discount at YR, Aquarium Depot and at Aqua Life -- a few items are not included like sale items and very low margin items (salt)

Just flash that fancy MARS membership card
Membership card? I do not have a card. Although I do ask about the discount at all LFS I go to and JoJo gave me 10%

Unread 08/12/2013, 02:39 PM   #20
jeffm59
Registered Member

Ask at the next meeting - we will get you one

Unread 08/12/2013, 09:19 PM   #21
Jet Black
I finally found this!

Shoot, I usually forget to do that, my card isn't so flashy.

Unread 08/12/2013, 10:17 PM   #22
tcoral
Registered Member

Quote:

If you are a member of MARS or other fish clubs, many lfs, give a discount. YR always treats MARS members very well . If you are going to the picnic, I think Joe is going, he could possibly bring you a clam from there if you wanted one.

Unread 08/12/2013, 10:18 PM   #23
tcoral
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cota472 View Post
Membership card? I do not have a card. Although I do ask about the discount at all LFS I go to and JoJo gave me 10%
*sigh* when I go to the lfs it's like "Cheers" everybody knows my name, LOL.