Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/21/2017, 10:01 AM   #1
zheka757
Registered Member

Do aquarium loses salt from skimmer?

If I change my my collection cup every week because it's full, do I lose salt with that dirty water?

zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 10:02 AM   #2
zheka757
Registered Member

*I mean to say drain my collection cup, not change!

zheka757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 10:05 AM   #3
MurphyLong
HMFIC

Essentially, yes. With that said, depending on how wet or dry you're skimming will affect the amount you're losing. The wetter your skimmate is, the more salt you're losing, but depending on the size of your tank/skimmer, chances are that it's a negligible amount. If you're only cleaning it once a week, it's probably pretty dry.
I tend to skim a little on the wet side, but I also have a 5 gallon jug that my skimmer drains into, so I only clean the cup once a month, and pour the skimmate in the yard. (Which is apparently a great fertilizer, my plants love it.)

MurphyLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 10:10 AM   #4
rtparty
Raise The Reef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyLong View Post
Essentially, yes. With that said, depending on how wet or dry you're skimming will affect the amount you're losing. The wetter your skimmate is, the more salt you're losing, but depending on the size of your tank/skimmer, chances are that it's a negligible amount. If you're only cleaning it once a week, it's probably pretty dry.
This.

That is why it is important to check your salinity often and calibrate your device just as often.

Click on my user name and check out my homepage!

Current Tank Info: 50g Cadlights/Giesemann Spectra (250w Radium, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 2 ATI Actinic)/2 x Vortech MP10wQD/Skimz SN123/Eheim Compact 3000+
rtparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 10:58 AM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

Yup. and from salt creep

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Salahunreal
Registered Member

Quote:
I tend to skim a little on the wet side, but I also have a 5 gallon jug that my skimmer drains into, so I only clean the cup once a month, and pour the skimmate in the yard. (Which is apparently a great fertilizer, my plants love it.)
" but I also have a 5 gallon jug that my skimmer drains into,"
Would it be possible to show with pic how this setup looks like. Interested in the idea but not sure how to implement it.
Thanks.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Salahunreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:40 AM   #7
jgln
Registered Member

Quote:
That's interesting because any tank water I dispose of is too salty and kills everything. In fact I dump it in my gravel driveway for weed control.

Current Tank Info: 125g reef with 30g sump/fuge
jgln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:45 AM   #8
mako61
Registered Member

If you dose 2-part I think you also gain a little salinity. Prob not as much as skimmer loses.

Mainly you want to periodically check salinity with a calibrated device. I check display tank when I do a water change.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 11:48 AM   #9
mako61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
That's interesting because any tank water I dispose of is too salty and kills everything. In fact I dump it in my gravel driveway for weed control.

Yea I dont think you want to use saltwater in gardens/yards. Didnt people in the olden days salt fields to screw their enemies.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/21/2017, 12:41 PM   #10
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salahunreal View Post
" but I also have a 5 gallon jug that my skimmer drains into,"
Would it be possible to show with pic how this setup looks like. Interested in the idea but not sure how to implement it.
Thanks.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Not sure how murphy does it, but here is mine. The skimmer is a MTC.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bnp8XMImVYKeGCqY2

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
Unread 09/21/2017, 04:41 PM   #11
Salahunreal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Not sure how murphy does it, but here is mine. The skimmer is a MTC.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Bnp8XMImVYKeGCqY2
Much appreciated. Got the idea...

Just fyi, uploading pics or videos, usually i use tapatalk to view forums I subscribed with and its very easy to add video or pic when writing a reply or a thread

Salahunreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2017, 04:41 AM   #12
hkgar
Registered Member

I don't like using my phone for the forums. I am an old fart and still use the pc or my lap top so pic upload from phone to google and I get the link.

Unread 09/22/2017, 12:53 PM   #13
MurphyLong
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
Yea I dont think you want to use saltwater in gardens/yards. Didnt people in the olden days salt fields to screw their enemies.
Well, I've been pouring my skimmate in the same spot for years, and the elephant ears there grow like CRAZY. The ones a few feet away, not so much. The small amount of salt dispersed through there when it rains is negligible, in fact I did a controlled test years ago when I was growing peppers, and I sent in peppers from soil I had added salt to, and soil I hadn't, the salted soil yielded hotter peppers. (They measured a higher concentration of capsaicin.)

Unread 09/22/2017, 01:45 PM   #14
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I've been pouring my skimmate in the same spot for years, and the elephant ears there grow like CRAZY. The ones a few feet away, not so much. The small amount of salt dispersed through there when it rains is negligible, in fact I did a controlled test years ago when I was growing peppers, and I sent in peppers from soil I had added salt to, and soil I hadn't, the salted soil yielded hotter peppers. (They measured a higher concentration of capsaicin.)
What you are seein might be the result of the salt water changing the ph of the soil where you pour it. I know nothing about agriculture but have heard that different plants respond better to certain ph soils.

And, plants would like any NO3 or PO4 that might be in the water. That's what fertilizer is. What are your levels?

Unread 09/22/2017, 09:22 PM   #15
Kmiller035
Registered Member

Epsom salt does wonders for many vegetables and plants. It takes a lot of salt to make the land barren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmiller035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2017, 06:44 AM   #16
MurphyLong
HMFIC

Quote:
What you are seein might be the result of the salt water changing the ph of the soil where you pour it. I know nothing about agriculture but have heard that different plants respond better to certain ph soils.

And, plants would like any NO3 or PO4 that might be in the water. That's what fertilizer is. What are your levels?
I've never checked the levels in the skimmate... but I imagine it's pretty high lol. I don't pour straight saltwater on them, just the soupy skimmate.

Unread 09/25/2017, 12:44 PM   #17
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
I've never checked the levels in the skimmate... but I imagine it's pretty high lol. I don't pour straight saltwater on them, just the soupy skimmate.
I meant the levels in the tank

Unread 09/25/2017, 01:53 PM   #18
MurphyLong
HMFIC

Quote:
I meant the levels in the tank
Are you asking ME what my tank readings are, or the OP?