Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/13/2017, 02:34 PM   #1
block head
Registered Member

Mh lighting help.

Damn lights are kicking my butt. My single end 250 watt started acting up. Bulb would flicker for a few seconds , but wouldn't fire. 3 month old giesman bulb. $ 120 bulb . I thought ok , replace it. bought a new bulb. Fired up for 15 minutes than quit. Ice cap pendant and ballast May be two years of use. everything had been running great. DO ballast go bad ? It is mounted on my wall .well vented . Not getting hot or other issues that I can see. Any way to test a ballast? My reefbrite led ballast also went bad . Bought another unit. Same model and make. The adapters don't fit. Looks like reefbrite rigged up the plugs. Is there anywhere in rochester I can go to buy adapters or connector? I have zero lights working at the moment.

block head is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Lowefx
Registered Member

Check the grounds

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lowefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2017, 05:11 PM   #3
block head
Registered Member

Electricaly illiterate . One fat cord runs the whole show .to the metal halide. Tried plugging into the outlet directly. Same thing, 15 minutes than nada

Unread 07/16/2017, 05:43 AM   #4
RoscoPColtrane
Registered Member

Not sure if it applies to electronic ballasts but I replaced the capacitors in my magnetic ballast years ago. It was relatively easy and inexpensive compared to buying a new ballast. You could also call icecap.

RoscoPColtrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/17/2017, 10:21 AM   #5
jaybfresh
Pitcher Hill Reef Society

What type of ballast? They do go bad eventually (though 2 years would be a pretty short lifespan). Make sure your ballast type and bulb type are compatible.

Current Tank Info: 80g shallow mixed reef
jaybfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2017, 02:53 AM   #6
block head
Registered Member

Icecap electronic ballast . It has run great. little bit of research seems to indicate they go bad. Guess they were good about replacement . Not sure what's up now that they were bought out. I'm going to borrow a ballast and see if that solves the issue.