Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/21/2019, 05:30 PM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

sebae and preculas?

Hi,

Would perculas find home in a sebae? Or likely or not? I have 2 that I just received a week ago. Within 12 hrs they found my (new and dying) ritteri and made it their home. So maybe that's an indication of their likely hood to find home in a sebae? The ritteri came to me damaged btw. I'm just looking for an anemone that I like and the perculas would until I find another ritteri.
*I do not want a bubble, as they are prone too much to splitting. If I have to then I will though

TY!

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2019, 06:28 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Some of my percula accepted crispas as hosts while others strictly refused them and rather stayed in a ceramic flowerpot or green star polyps until I could offer them a gigantea. I also tried a haddoni with one of the picky pairs, thinking that they may be more willing to take one carpet as substitute for another, but no joy - they rather went homeless...
H. magnifica ("Ritteri") is, like S. gigantea, a natural host for A. percula, so them accepting that anemone doesn't indicate their willingness to take a different anemone as substitute.

BTW, Are those wild or captive bred percula?

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2019, 07:31 PM   #3
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
Some of my percula accepted crispas as hosts while others strictly refused them and rather stayed in a ceramic flowerpot or green star polyps until I could offer them a gigantea. I also tried a haddoni with one of the picky pairs, thinking that they may be more willing to take one carpet as substitute for another, but no joy - they rather went homeless...
H. magnifica ("Ritteri") is, like S. gigantea, a natural host for A. percula, so them accepting that anemone doesn't indicate their willingness to take a different anemone as substitute.

BTW, Are those wild or captive bred percula?
TY yet again
I dont know if they are WC or captive. I'll assume captive b/c they weren't very $$. I think WC are high $$ (?). I got them from saltwaterfish.com (swc). I looked all over the ad to see if they were captive raised. I didnt see it anywhere. So they could be wild. I'll ask them. I was thinking they could be WC b/c they took to the ritteri and did so rather quickly. And they are really really nice looking (if that's an indication ).

I do like the sebae b/c I do like them. And I'd like to see how well SWF ships them to my apt as compared to the other source (it may instead be UPS messing up my live shipments, and not the supplier).

Unread 05/21/2019, 09:23 PM   #4
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Post a picture if you can of the pair if you can. Usually it is easy to spot a wc vs cb clown nowadays.

ocellaris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2019, 09:53 PM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

***UGH I see on the larger one (female?) she has a film on her back. It looks pink in the pics. Its just looks not that pink in person, but is a film appearance. What is this? Do I need to do anything?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg percs4.jpg (87.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg percs3.jpg (73.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg percs2.jpg (88.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg percs1.jpg (71.3 KB, 23 views)
Unread 05/21/2019, 10:03 PM   #6
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Although no real reason to tell unless you call the seller and ask, I would assume your pair is wild caught as they do not show the common deformities seen in captive bred clowns. How is the clowns breathing pattern. Clowns often suffer from brookynella when freshly shipped in.

Unread 05/21/2019, 10:42 PM   #7
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris123 View Post
Although no real reason to tell unless you call the seller and ask, I would assume your pair is wild caught as they do not show the common deformities seen in captive bred clowns. How is the clowns breathing pattern. Clowns often suffer from brookynella when freshly shipped in.
Do you mean no reason to tell if they are WC or captive?
"Her" breathing is odd to me. The gill plates are open rather wide, a larger gap than I have seen on a clown. It seems fairly fast in breathing also. But the gap between the gill and head looks odd. There is definitely a film on her back. Could this be because of the sick (ripped -- when I got it) ritteri that is hosting them?

Unread 05/21/2019, 10:51 PM   #8
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Usually captive bred clownfish are labeled as such, especially at online stores. And the dealers have little incentive to hide it because there isn't really a significant price difference and most people actually prefer captive bred because they are far less trouble.
There are only a few of us old-school guys who insist on wild caught and are willing to deal with the risk and the diseases.
So I would think that they are wild.

As for the white slime - that could be Brooklynella or Trichodina the two most likely infections wild clownfish come with.
I would give them a formalin bath and possibly an antibiotic treatment.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
Unread 05/21/2019, 10:53 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

If she is breathing heavily I would certainly give them both a Septra treatment.

Unread 05/21/2019, 11:04 PM   #10
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
If she is breathing heavily I would certainly give them both a Septra treatment.

TY again.
Where can I find Septra? Formalin? Do I have time to have it ordered and delivered before it's too late? How do I treat her? TY!

Unread 05/21/2019, 11:05 PM   #11
CTaylor
Registered Member

Also hopefully she's very bonded to the dying ritteri so I can get her out easily, ugh. Would a fresh water bath do anything beneficial for her? Will she just for sure die if I do nothing? TY

Unread 05/21/2019, 11:19 PM   #12
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Fish Sulpha from Thomas Labs is Septra. If you can't get that one fast enough try a local vet if they can give you a prescription.
Try to get the forte version if possible. Dosage is one tablet for 50 liters (25 liters if you can only get the regular strength Septra/Fish Sulpha).

Formalin should still be available from Amazon, but it seems that they no longer carry formalin-ms. But any 37% formalin stabilized with methanol should do.

Unread 05/21/2019, 11:39 PM   #13
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Fish Sulfa Forte Tablets

Unread 05/22/2019, 08:59 AM   #14
CTaylor
Registered Member

Quote:
THANK YOU
I'm ordering from that link and https://www.amazon.com/Formaldehyde-...gateway&sr=8-3
for the formalyn right now.. hopefully i get it before she's too far gone.

* I just ordered from allvet with second bus day deliv, more $$.. hopefully here Friday? Prob Tues, ugh. And the Formalin says may 28 - june 2 , ugh.. but ordered filled by company just few hrs north of me. So maybe I'll get lucky.
At least I'll have it on hand if there's a next time
**What about FWD?

**I'm sorry this thread took a turn **

Last edited by CTaylor; 05/22/2019 at 09:15 AM.
Unread 05/22/2019, 09:00 AM   #15
CTaylor
Registered Member

How do I treat? I do not have a hospital or QT tank. But can set up a 7 gallon mini aquarium quick with sponge filter I think if I can find the filter

Unread 05/22/2019, 12:14 PM   #16
CTaylor
Registered Member

i'll make this a new thread, as it's far off subject from the original
TY!

Unread 05/22/2019, 12:58 PM   #17
ocellaris123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Do you mean no reason to tell if they are WC or captive?
"Her" breathing is odd to me. The gill plates are open rather wide, a larger gap than I have seen on a clown. It seems fairly fast in breathing also. But the gap between the gill and head looks odd. There is definitely a film on her back. Could this be because of the sick (ripped -- when I got it) ritteri that is hosting them?
Sorry, I reread my response and did a mistype. I meant there is no real way to tell (not reason) unless you ask the breeder/seller.

How old is the ritteri? It looks like it may need treatment.

Unread 05/24/2019, 11:22 AM   #18
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
How do I treat? I do not have a hospital or QT tank. But can set up a 7 gallon mini aquarium quick with sponge filter I think if I can find the filter
BTW, you should most definitely invest in a proper QT/HT setup.
I saw in another thread that you plan on getting Anthias - those guys quite often come with some really ugly diseases you really don't want to make it into your display tank. Uronema is probably one of the worst and impossible to remove from a system it has infected (short of poring a bottle of bleach into the tank).
I just lost a couple of fish to it while in quarantine. I literally pored a good amount of bleach into the tank before even bothering to remove the dead fish.
The problem with Uronema is that it is an opportunistic parasite that can live just fine in a system without fish. So no fallow period is able to remove it.