Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/29/2020, 08:40 PM   #1
flamehawk2
Registered Member

Help with goldflake angel

SO I’ve had my beautiful GoldFlake Angel for 2 months now. QT’d in 40g breeder and then into the display. Had a concern about possible velvet so dosed DT with 2.0ppn copper for 30 days. Did a 70% Water change and 2 days later the quality is good with a small trace of copper (.5ppm) and 0 ammonia and nitrites with 50 nitrates. here’s the deal....the GF has been glass surfing for a long time now. First in the 40g here I thought it was happening because tank was too small (ate very well while in 40g) and now in DT (625g’s) where I thought it was because of the copper. He just hasn’t stopped. Now in the last week, he has eaten less and less to point where I am concerned as he only ate a couple of pellets this morning and completely ignored frozen. So we now can rule out small tank space(40g qt) water quality, copper, any ammonia, nitrites or high nitrates. Next is to consider tank mates and any bullying though He is 7 “ long and can hold his own. Besides an occasional light jousting with the 7 “ blond naso which used to be the “big boy” in the tank and 4 1/2 inch emperor who was introduced at same time as GF, everything seems ok in that department. He does surf also after everyone goes to sleep which makes me think that perhaps he hasn’t found a comfortable spot to rest in the rock. I look around though and there is still “place at the inn” which would accommodate him and his size. I’m at a lost as to what it might be but do know that if he keeps stressing like this, he wont’ last much longer especially because its now impacting his appetite. I do have a 55g at the ready if I decide to take him out and treat with some general broad based bacterial/parasite mix(ie kanaplex/neoplasm/metroplex combo) or wait a little longer as he might just still be adjusting from the high copper level for 30 days. him surfing constantly is definitely a sign that something is wrong. Is it possible that he’s just having a tough time adjusting to aquarium life as he is 7 inches which is quite larger then you usually see. BTW when he was eating I was feeding him sponge as well as a variety of other frozen and pellets mixed with selcon and angel sponge elixir. Let me add that all other fish in the 625g DT are behaving normally and eating well. REALLY COULD USE SOME SUGGESTIONS...if I lose this fish, which is my absolute favorite, it will probably mean the end of my passion for the hobby.....thank you

Remember the three f's -family,friends and fish!

Current Tank Info: 625g (water volume) custom semi reef w/166g refugium/sump.
flamehawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote