Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/17/2013, 08:07 PM   #1
MitchReef
President, F.R.A.G.

LSM and DIY LED Moonlights

I have about like 50 "Super Bright" blue flat front LEDs and just wondered if I could use 2 or 3 of them with the LSM? I want to have the Lunar Cycle lighting and just wondered if there is anything special about the LEDs Neptune sells, when i already have so many laying around. I also have a few of the old Currents moonlight pods, will they work?

Thanks for any information.

Current Tank Info: 120G In-wall with dedicated, purpose built tank room, 75G sump fuge, Apex Jr, MP40W X2, Reefbreeders LEDs X2, etc....
MitchReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2013, 04:37 PM   #2
MitchReef
President, F.R.A.G.

Bump for Information!!!!

Current Tank Info: 120G In-wall with dedicated, purpose built tank room, 75G sump fuge, Apex Jr, MP40W X2, Reefbreeders LEDs X2, etc....
Unread 03/18/2013, 06:35 PM   #3
bepece
Registered Member

For what it is worth, I had a single LED go bad in my LSM and bought a few similar flat top LED's online with the same specs but slightly different colors so I could match it and soldered one in place - worked great! I will have to go check and see if I can dig up the specs for you.

bepece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2013, 06:41 PM   #4
MitchReef
President, F.R.A.G.

sweet...I have a butt load of loose LEDs and resistors just holding up dust in one of my parts boxes!!! I would love to add the LSM but just hate to waste money on something I already have!

Unread 11/27/2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Tickle
Registered Member

Do you by chance have the specs for the LEDs? I'd like to replace the blue lights with white lights, really hate the blue look. I haven't bought the lsm yet and this will be the determining factor.

Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2013, 06:56 PM   #6
supra400hptt
Registered Member

Same question here. I just got a LSM but want to use white leds instead of blue. I've got white DA moons installed in my fixture and would prefer to keep them over the blue Neptunes. Has anyone got other LEDs working on the LSM?

supra400hptt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2013, 07:06 PM   #7
bepece
Registered Member

Here is the link to what I used, it gives you specs for voltage etc you will need to match them up. Pretty expensive at .21 each. I ordered a few different colors and it was like $4. http://lighthouseleds.com/5mm-flat-t...0-000-mcd.html

Unread 12/11/2013, 07:35 PM   #8
supra400hptt
Registered Member

Thanks, just ordered a few whites. Will swap them and see what happens.

supra400hptt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 07:09 PM   #9
reefknight
Registered Member

Did the replacement leds ever work for the LSM module? I have one right now that the leds are shot in and I don't feel like spending $40+ on a new string of lights. How difficult is the replacement of the leds for a novice?

TIA

Current Tank Info: DSA Neo 185gal - Coming Soon!
reefknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 11:33 PM   #10
bepece
Registered Member

Replacement LEDs worked great, tried several different colors.

Unread 12/04/2014, 08:20 PM   #11
AZRippster
Diver & Reef Aquarium Nut

https://www.superbrightleds.com/ sell exactly what you are looking for. I actually don't care for the blue leds as I'm a diver and have never been on a night dive where the ocean looked that color. This is the LED I'm using. Just don't use too many, ya want your fish to be able to sleep. Too many blues will do the same things.

RL5-W15120 White 120 Degree 1500 mcd

If you do want the blue, these are compatible:

RL5-B12120 5mm Blue LED

AZRippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2014, 10:50 PM   #12
reefknight
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRippster View Post
https://www.superbrightleds.com/ sell exactly what you are looking for. I actually don't care for the blue leds as I'm a diver and have never been on a night dive where the ocean looked that color. This is the LED I'm using. Just don't use too many, ya want your fish to be able to sleep. Too many blues will do the same things.

RL5-W15120 White 120 Degree 1500 mcd

If you do want the blue, these are compatible:

RL5-B12120 5mm Blue LED
Thank you, I'll take a look at those as well. I want to get mine up and going again and don't want to lay out a fortune for a few small LED's. I love Neptune but come on they're a few small LED's with a small length of wire, a plug and a few small mounting boxes. $40 they are not!

Unread 12/05/2014, 08:50 AM   #13
AZRippster

If you have the LSM, then you are pretty much there. I originally purchased the LSM with 4 LEDs. Upon hooking it all up, 4 LEDs were WAY TOO MUCH for a 180 tall (36 inches deep). You could get up in the middle of the night and find the fish swimming around like it was daytime except during the New Moon cycle. I then decided to build a little project box that facilitated adding or removing LEDs replacing non-existent LEDs with jumpers. I found 2 were pretty good, then I just couldn't stand the color. I now have a 450 running my tank's lighting with a Coralux. This tank is 8' long and 36" deep. I now use 4 LEDs driven by the Coralux on my DIY LED fixture utilizing the moonlight cycle. I also went to using the cool white LED's and for me they're perfect. I believe the barrel on the connector for the LSM LEDs is a 2.1mm. Easily purchased super cheap on the E Bay. I absolutely love the Neptune Apex and the LSM is very good as well, just be aware of how much light those little buggers put out. The ones I previously linked are 100% compatible. They just need to be wired in series according image I've attached and you need at least 2 from what the guys at Neptune told me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neptune Apex Moonlight Wiring.jpg (22.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Bottom Shot.jpg (76.1 KB, 112 views)
Unread 12/05/2014, 05:39 PM   #14
reefknight
Registered Member

Awesome, thank you!

Not to get off track for a moment.....The DIY LED's look great also. Those wouldn't be the Aurora pucks would they?

I need to find a attractive way to add my moonlights to my ATI PM fixture. Just not an east task at all. I've actually considered removing the mounting boxes. Then placing them on the interior of the unit so that the reflectors would assist in dispersing the light to the tank.

Unread 12/05/2014, 08:38 PM   #15
AZRippster

Yeah, they are the Rapid LED Aurora pucks. If you look closely in the center of each fixture is a moonlight. The center area holds all the power supplies, 4-Up Boards, power converter for the fans, and a PWM conversion board. I also designed it so that if I wanted to go back to the LSM, there is a mounting location for the module and USB on the back of the center housing for the Aqua Bus.

Unread 10/19/2016, 10:32 AM   #16
Wiskey
Registered Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this is a perfect place to ask my question!

I just ordered a LSM and I've always hated blue moonlights. I want to DIY some white ones. I have ordered the parts, but some people say there is a resistor in the Neptune LED modules, some people say it's just an LED.

Can someone please confirm if the Neptune LED boxes have a resistor? If so what value it is?

Thank you!
Whiskey