Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/19/2018, 07:42 AM   #1
jestronix
Registered Member

New tank - silicone fail ?

Hi guys,

After many months of waiting my dream tank has finally arrived . It's a large rimless tank with 12mm glass. On tank calculators it meets a 6.7 safety factor on 12mm glass. It's a 500mm high tank, so not a tall tank.

Here's a picture of the seam when the tank is full. This is only present on one corner of the tank. Top right corner.

This tank is on a steel stand and was levelled by the builder installer on the day.

The bubbles go away when the tank is empty. I can make the bubbles half appear again if I use my thumb and press hard.

I have contacted seller and he has mentioned the silicone has a very strong elasticity so it will change colour. He said he can do bracing for me.

Currently the tank sits empty while I wait, I couldn't sleep with it full.

Will bracing fix the issue? Should I be worried?

The tank is on foam, and the tank is dead level with no movement in the legs etc.

With bracing I'll feel a lot safer and predict the bubbles won't show up with more support.

Thoughts ?

What should I do ?

jestronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 07:49 AM   #2
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

I have not noticed this occur on any of my tanks. 18 years is the longest that I recall keeping one in use and that tank was moved half full a couple of times (on stand). I only retired it when I did a complete breakdown and just figured for the cost of a standard tank it was time to replace.

I would at least brace it. Since it sounds like this is a custom built tank, personally I would demand that it be resealed.

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 08:10 AM   #3
pfan151
Registered Member

I wouldn’t use it. Make them replace it. Bracing may work but I still wouldn’t feel good about a brand new tank with a known weak spot.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/19/2018, 10:42 AM   #4
shred5
Registered Member

I would bet that is a Marinelend tank..

Common problem with them.
I threw out one because I had drilled it first so warranty would not cover it.

you do not discover it till the tank is full too...

Was very common on their cube 93 gallon aquariums.

Unread 10/19/2018, 10:06 PM   #5
jestronix
Registered Member

My question is do they eventually fail, they may actually hold indefinitely ? All bar the risks and peace of mind ofcourse

Unread 11/11/2018, 03:57 PM   #6
jestronix
Registered Member

Fixed ! Euro bracing solved the stress point above, totally. 12mm glass had just enough flex over 1 m and 1/2 meter tall. i

Unread 11/12/2018, 12:24 PM   #7
OurCoralReef
In Memoriam

Personally it looks like its separating from the silicone i would not risk it and tell the maker to redo the silicone joints

OurCoralReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 01:40 PM   #8
WVfishguy
Registered Member

I hope the bracing works. I had a 300 with a bubble in the silicon which was no where near as bad as that, and the entire end section came loose. I bought the tank used, and it lasted for years, until it didn't.

WVfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2018, 04:04 PM   #9
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestronix View Post
Should I be worried?
Definitely.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/13/2018, 08:41 AM   #10
jestronix
Registered Member

As mentioned above, tank is now euro braced with zero stress bubbles showing, the flex was too much before, even with 12mm glass. Goes to show how good eurobracing is, rimless is not an option for me ever again, way to much stress on the joints. I've check all corners and no evidence of any stress bubbles. next tank I'll probably go bottom euro too. I hate centre bracing, such a pain light wise. But it's probably the strongest

Unread 11/24/2020, 04:56 PM   #11
jestronix
Registered Member

2 years no issues , tank showed no more stress around this joint. Euro fixed the issue from a stress point of view.