Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/10/2018, 05:33 PM   #1
@rmyvet
Registered Member

Can anyone help me out

Hello all I have a few questions about the hobby. I'm only two weeks in and I just have some concern.

1) Now that I have the SW in the tank my question is if you see the Salinity move from 1.026 to 1.025. what happens if it just keeps going down weekly. I'm new to this hobby and I just want to make sure I know everything or at least be prepared for when things like this happens. I know when the saltwater level goes down my ATO tops it off and when i do water change i replace the same saltwater i took out. But what if the Salinity reading goes down weekly or biweekly is this normal for it to go down before a WC.

2) where does everyone buy there fish and coral is there a site or does everyone go to there Lps.

3) my skimmer I try to understand and I have read looked at videos but I just don't get it. I know how to set it up and turn it on its just the tuning that im having the problem. I have it open all the way after a week I start closing and I read and seen that I close it to where the foam starts to form around the neck of the cup. The thing is if I leave it like that I never see it go up over the cup and its a new tank don't know if because it being new it doesn't make enough of the foam.

Now if I close it more the foam goes up and if I don't stop it the foam will keep overflowing. So I have seen to keep the foam below the neck line but it won't raise and when i close it over flows. I can close the valve to where it goes up but not that high to over flow but as I have read and seen on videos. A lot of them say to keep the foam below the beginning of the collection cup.

So can someone tell me what the correct way is and what do i need to look at when closing the valve and how the bubbles are suppose to look like. Can the foam be past the neck line ?

The skimmer is in water 8 inch and I have the Reef Octopus 202s.

Thanks all for your help.

@rmyvet

@rmyvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Indymann99
Registered Member

1. SG going DOWN indicates you are EXPORTING SaltWater and your ATO is adding FRESH water causing the SG to go down. The only feasible way this is happening is your skimmer is skimming WET (lots of water in the cup - Saltwater) - and you are dumping it, thus exporting SW.

my 0.02

Unread 04/10/2018, 06:23 PM   #3
@rmyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymann99 View Post
1. SG going DOWN indicates you are EXPORTING SaltWater and your ATO is adding FRESH water causing the SG to go down. The only feasible way this is happening is your skimmer is skimming WET (lots of water in the cup - Saltwater) - and you are dumping it, thus exporting SW.

my 0.02
Hey Indymann99,
Thanks for your feedback. But the only thing here is that im not getting anything in the cup to throw out. I see the darker foam on the top but what I read I am suppose to tune the foam up to where the neck of the collection cup is. It's been like this for 2 weeks and I haven't seen it raise to the top. I was thinking because it's new it doesn't have enough stuff to foam up. Don't know I'm only going with what I read or a video I seen all or at least most say to keep it below the neck of the collection cup. I do this but it won't raise but if I close the valve it will raise but I will past the neck of the collection cup. So I'm just lost with how I'm suppose to work this skimmer.

@rmyvet

Unread 04/10/2018, 06:25 PM   #4
top shelf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rmyvet View Post
Hello all I have a few questions about the hobby. I'm only two weeks in and I just have some concern.

1) Now that I have the SW in the tank my question is if you see the Salinity move from 1.026 to 1.025. what happens if it just keeps going down weekly. I'm new to this hobby and I just want to make sure I know everything or at least be prepared for when things like this happens. I know when the saltwater level goes down my ATO tops it off and when i do water change i replace the same saltwater i took out. But what if the Salinity reading goes down weekly or biweekly is this normal for it to go down before a WC.
I agree it's possible your skimmer is pulling a lot out causing your ato to dump more lowering your salinity.

2) where does everyone buy there fish and coral is there a site or does everyone go to there Lps.
You can do either or, many use an lfs if they have a decent one, buy online, or a combination of both. Good places to look are live Aquaria, aquasd, vivids, the list goes on and on.

3) my skimmer I try to understand and I have read looked at videos but I just don't get it. I know how to set it up and turn it on its just the tuning that im having the problem. I have it open all the way after a week I start closing and I read and seen that I close it to where the foam starts to form around the neck of the cup. The thing is if I leave it like that I never see it go up over the cup and its a new tank don't know if because it being new it doesn't make enough of the foam.

Now if I close it more the foam goes up and if I don't stop it the foam will keep overflowing. So I have seen to keep the foam below the neck line but it won't raise and when i close it over flows. I can close the valve to where it goes up but not that high to over flow but as I have read and seen on videos. A lot of them say to keep the foam below the beginning of the collection cup.

So can someone tell me what the correct way is and what do i need to look at when closing the valve and how the bubbles are suppose to look like. Can the foam be past the neck line ?

The skimmer is in water 8 inch and I have the Reef Octopus 202s.

Your skimmer will have a break in period of a week to a couple weeks. You can lessen that time by soaking in vinegar. During this time it's best to just leave the cup or lid off and let it roll
Thanks all for your help.

@rmyvet
My responses are under your questions asked.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2018, 07:49 PM   #5
on the spot
Registered Member

Quote:
...my question is if you see the Salinity move from 1.026 to 1.025. what happens if it just keeps going down weekly...
If it's actually moved and you aren't dumping watery skimate, look around for the white crusty residue. Salt won't just go away, it'll leave a trail or crust. like a tiny leak in a joint or something.

or, wanky reading from the refractometer. if it keeps drifting lower w/o a trace, check the gear.

a non leak induced drift is typical with a skimmer. nothing to fret over - just adjust as needed with water changes.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 04:30 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

The salinity issue is likely testing error or you have a leak somewhere which I'd assume you notice so testing error is more likely..
Thats it..

Unread 04/11/2018, 05:56 AM   #7
rdnyva
Registered Member

You've got some good advice above. You didn’t say the size of your tank or what you have in it, if anything.

If you live in the central Florida area I can give you some LFS that I trust.

Vertex Omega 180i Skimmer
ReefBreeders Photon 50 V2
rdnyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 06:27 AM   #8
@rmyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by top shelf View Post

My responses are under your questions asked.

Thanks top shelf for the comments. I didn't know there was so many online stores that sell marine fish or at least some that are trusted and good price. Freshwater has been my thing for 30 years but learning this new hobby is so stressful. I know in time being in the hobby I will get better but getting there is a trip. Thanks again @rmyvet

Unread 04/11/2018, 06:53 AM   #9
@rmyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
If it's actually moved and you aren't dumping watery skimate, look around for the white crusty residue. Salt won't just go away, it'll leave a trail or crust. like a tiny leak in a joint or something.

or, wanky reading from the refractometer. if it keeps drifting lower w/o a trace, check the gear.

a non leak induced drift is typical with a skimmer. nothing to fret over - just adjust as needed with water changes.

HTH

On the spot,
Thanks for your reply. I checked everything also when I did all the plumbing I made sure it landed in the sump and everything looks good there. I will have to check my refractometer i have the kind that you look through the small hole. Does that even get calibrated? Well i will have to check. Thanks again @rmyvet

Unread 04/11/2018, 07:06 AM   #10
@rmyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
The salinity issue is likely testing error or you have a leak somewhere which I'd assume you notice so testing error is more likely..
Thats it..
Hey mcgyvr,
Good to see you again. Yes I'm up and running was nervous as hell at the beginning but with a little assurance from you guys with your comments help me take that extra step. I knew everything wasn't going to be peachy king and that I will discover things down the road. That's why I like to ask here always get answers. I don't like asking the lps because they will look for something for me to buy and if I really don't need It I'm just spending money I don't have to. I'm going to have to buy another meter to see if there's a difference in readings. Thanks again @rmyvet

Unread 04/11/2018, 07:06 AM   #11
Rover88
Registered Member

Quote:
On the spot,
Thanks for your reply. I checked everything also when I did all the plumbing I made sure it landed in the sump and everything looks good there. I will have to check my refractometer i have the kind that you look through the small hole. Does that even get calibrated? Well i will have to check. Thanks again @rmyvet
There should be a black plastic nub on top that can be opened, and you'll see a setscrew underneath. You can calibrate it with cal-fluid, or with RODI water, but the cal fluid will be better.

Rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 07:09 AM   #12
@rmyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnyva View Post
You've got some good advice above. You didn’t say the size of your tank or what you have in it, if anything.

If you live in the central Florida area I can give you some LFS that I trust.

Hey rdnyva,
It's a 90 gallon with a 38 gallon sump. And yes I do live in central Florida towards ucf if you can tell me some trusted local Lps that would be great. Thanks again @rmyvet

Unread 04/11/2018, 07:33 AM   #13
sde1500
Registered Member

Salinity swing I'd liken to a testing error, or slight variations in temperature causing some measurement changes. Its not enough where I'd be worried, but wouldn't hurt to get it straightened out. Definitely re-calibrate your refracometer.

Fish, tons of places to buy. Live aquaria, vivid, etc. Also LFS if you like seeing your fish and watching them eat before buying.

Skimmer, leave the skimmer foam breaking below the neck like you read. It takes time to build it up. The foam shouldn't constantly be breaking into the cup, it builds up so nasties, then that causes it to be pushed up into the cup, and then it goes back down for a bit.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 09:45 AM   #14
rdnyva
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey rdnyva,
It's a 90 gallon with a 38 gallon sump. And yes I do live in central Florida towards ucf if you can tell me some trusted local Lps that would be great. Thanks again @rmyvet
Actually you’re pretty close to me, maybe 8 Miles.

For corals you can’t beat World Wide Corals, beautiful stuff but bring a sack of cash.

Sea in the City located in Orlando is good, but I haven't been there in a long time.

Top Shelf and Ocean Direct are also good.

My go to LFS, although a bit of a drive up in Debary, is Stormborn Reef.

You seem to be on the right track. Good luck and enjoy this hobby.

Unread 04/11/2018, 12:27 PM   #15
PatW
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey rdnyva,
Too Shelf Aquatics is quite good and reasonably close to you.

Oceans Direct is farther away. I think Top Shelf is better.

Storm Born Reef up is Deltona is a very good small store. I think they have the best fish in the area.

Living Reef Orlando is out your way. I don’t know if I have ever been out there.

World Wide Corals is south of town. Their aquaculture operation is quite large and they are nationally famous. They are well worth visiting, if just to gawk.

I have found that Top Shelf and Storm Born have the best service.

PatW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2018, 01:26 PM   #16
rdnyva
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatW View Post

Storm Born Reef up is Deltona is a very good small store. I think they have the best fish in the area.

Living Reef Orlando is out your way. I don’t know if I have ever been out there.

World Wide Corals is south of town. Their aquaculture operation is quite large and they are nationally famous. They are well worth visiting, if just to gawk.

I agree with most of what you have said, just didn’t want to go into too much detail. My opinion of these stores doesnt matter so I wanted OP to make his own judgement.

Stormborn actually has a Debary address. They are not so small anymore, even have their own growout tanks now. Sarah has gone out of her way for me a couple of times. She’s even special ordered fish for me.

Unread 04/11/2018, 07:47 PM   #17
@rmyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnyva View Post
Actually you’re pretty close to me, maybe 8 Miles.

For corals you can’t beat World Wide Corals, beautiful stuff but bring a sack of cash.

Sea in the City located in Orlando is good, but I haven't been there in a long time.

Top Shelf and Ocean Direct are also good.

My go to LFS, although a bit of a drive up in Debary, is Stormborn Reef.

You seem to be on the right track. Good luck and enjoy this hobby.

Thanks rdnyva for the names of these fish stores and I'll check them out. I know there is a lot of FW fish Lps but I didn't think there was so many marine fish out there. I do go to the Orlando Lps but now that I know there's others going to look into them thanks again. @rmyvet

Unread 04/11/2018, 07:55 PM   #18
@rmyvet
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatW View Post

Thanks PatW,
For the information on Lps and I have been to living Reef and they are good nice choices they have lots of coral soft hard and they start at 5 bucks. They are small but if you are like me want to start with coral and the $ isn't always there 5 bucks won't break you and I can get a few for that price and if all goes well then I can think about a bigger size. But now I least i can compare places. Thanks for the info. @rmyvet

Tags
salinity