Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2007, 03:07 PM   #176
kstockman
Registered Member

So if I get this correct, the one pipe that does the U turn is the return pipe and you make the U turn so that if the pump turns off, then you have a siphon break? Is this correct so far? Then the pipe with holes in it is the drain line. What is the water level in the overflow when the tank is running?

I have plenty of solutions to your issue. Just a question of which is best. I will be posting a few new designs within the next month or so. I need to make them and beta test them. This requires me to setup a whole new system in the garage. My goal is to optimize the design.

Take a look at my website, which I just updated. You will see the new design there. I will eventually post pictures to a gallery if I can.

http://home.nc.rr.com/stockmanreef/

You will see that I took the new design to a whole new level. I have the endcap milled professionally and then I glue/solvent weld an endcap to the milled one. This creates a one piece enclosure which slides over the pipe. I use a coupling fitting with as a stop to prevent the fitting from sliding down the pipe. The height of the water around the Aqua-Silencer stapipe can be adjusted by changing the length of pipe in the device.

Let me know what you think. This will not specifically solve your issue, if I am correct about your situation.

cheers
ken

kstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2007, 08:54 PM   #177
melev
Moved On

That looks slick to me. I was just on your site yesterday Ken.

melev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2007, 11:00 PM   #178
tiberiusjones
Premium Member

Ken,
Yes that is correct the utube is the return and i guess it was made that way as a siphon break it has a hole driller in the middle of the top of the u which water tends to flow out of noisily, the drain pipe fills up to about 4 inches from the bottom of the overflow, nice elegant design on the new pipes!

Unread 06/26/2007, 12:14 PM   #179
edwar050
Registered Member

Thanks Mr. Stockman for posting this design. I have been trying to figure out a space saver in my overflow for two years.

Thanks Marino for the post on your build, I will be making mine fairly close to your design.

Unread 01/22/2008, 02:30 AM   #180
VultureCP
Registered Member

ken: do you know when you will start selling them to your vendors again? They all seem to be sold out

Current Tank Info: 70g Oceanic Tech Tank
VultureCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2008, 04:39 PM   #181
ECFENCING
Registered Member

is there anywher to order this?

ECFENCING is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2008, 08:31 PM   #182
biger
Registered Member

try here,

http://www.championlighting.com/home.php?cat=735

Current Tank Info: 180 gal in wall
biger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2008, 05:12 PM   #183
jpkboca
Registered Member

Nice site there, they dont let you order anything less then $20, lol. Add the Standpipe to your cart and checkout, it wont let you displaying a message of you must spend $20 to checkout. I should probably just build one, but found that humorous.

jpkboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2009, 05:01 PM   #184
pictureviewer
Registered Member

ken your site on road runner is gone, is there anywhere with good build in progress photos and parts list for your most current version of the stockman standpipe?

pictureviewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/22/2009, 03:24 PM   #185
pictureviewer
Registered Member

PS: jpkboca just add a net to the cart as well...

pictureviewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2012, 07:42 PM   #186
Akninja
Registered Member

Exclamation Stockman stand advice

Just installed an eshopps 300 gph overflow on my non drilled tank. Going to make a standpipe. It has 1inch bulkhead. Should I make a 1inch or 1.25 stand pipe. Also, on the bushing covering the holes how much oversize should I go vs pipe diameter? For example. 1inch to 1.75? Or if other, 1.25 to 2? Advice would be much appreciated. Thank you. Using old design.

Akninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2013, 06:41 AM   #187
gmarcin2000
Registered Member

can this be done with 1.5" standpipe?

gmarcin2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2013, 08:06 PM   #188
marino420td
Premium Member

I made one using 1.5" pipe. If you go through this thread, you will see it. Sorry I can't remember what page it is on.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...hreadid=867050

marino420td is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2013, 08:21 PM   #189
marino420td
Premium Member

Just checked. It's on page 2 of the thread I posted above

marino420td is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2013, 04:39 PM   #190
Snausy
Registered Member

I guess I just don't understand why people still have Dursos and Stockmans(no offense intended of course)...I messed around with them for a couple years... if you want quiet just build a Herbie, you'll never go back.

You are talking about making a stockman "more quiet" when the Herbie is absolutely silent from the beginning. I'm talking ZERO water noise... Especially if you have a large tank. The only thing you hear with my 300g is the skimmer pump. That's it. The sump looks like standing water when it's really 1800gph.

I'm sure you guys have your reasons for messing with air like you do but I prefer to just take it out of the equation. Air = noise. *shrugs* Full siphon takes care of that in a hurry.

Current Tank Info: 300gal FOWLR- Emperor Angel, Rainbow Wrasse, Green Bird Wrasse, Dogface Puffer, Niger Trigger, Flame Hawkfish, Matted Filefish 150 Turbosnails that only come out at night! :D

Last edited by Snausy; 06/21/2013 at 04:49 PM.
Snausy is offline   Reply With Quote