Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/11/2007, 05:52 AM   #101
luke33
Moved On

Guy, old crimson posted what his skimmer looked like after he cut out teh tube with the stock pump. It was pretty much all milked out. Unlike with the inner tube in it, which its about halfway milked out.

luke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 07:23 AM   #102
hoyta
Registered Member

Hey all! I have mine up and running, finally. The gen-x 2400 seems too much for the 200,and with the extra venturi in it, it makes the pump really loud...
Mine stays consistently halway to 3/4 milked out, which is fine with me. I'm happy with it for the money it costs-

Current Tank Info: 34 g Solana
hoyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 07:44 AM   #103
bkdaaa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luke33
Guy, old crimson posted what his skimmer looked like after he cut out teh tube with the stock pump. It was pretty much all milked out. Unlike with the inner tube in it, which its about halfway milked out.
Mine appears to be completely milked out. I do have alot of micro bubbles in the return water, but they aren't leaving my sump container where the skimmer is. What is the best level to start at for the bubble breaking level?

Thanks,
Doug

bkdaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 07:55 AM   #104
luke33
Moved On

bkaaa, you want to have the bubbles at the bottom of the riser tube where you can see them. Just let it run like that for as long as it takes, which is usually around 7 days. The pump's are very oily and it takes a while for the skimmer to break in because of that reason.

Hoyta, its about teh limit, but it will work well with the genx2400. You just have to have the water leveler close to the bottom. Once it starts skimming and breaks in you'll be able to adjust it very easy. the only prob i ran into was having the sponge on it. I used a bigger sponge that came with my overflow box and it worked very well. As for the noise, the only noise prob i had was the airline, which was very loud. I made a silencer and you can only hear it running if you stick your head in my sump.

Unread 05/11/2007, 07:57 AM   #105
GuySmilie
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks Luke - I must have missed it. I'll check it out.

Unread 05/11/2007, 09:30 AM   #106
luke33
Moved On

Hoyta, you can also slow down the pump with the modded venturi i sent you. And it will still skim very well.

Unread 05/11/2007, 12:07 PM   #107
hoyta
Registered Member

I used that venturi, but it made the pump very loud? Also, I need to try and find a good sponge like you are talking about you used. Overall, I am very impressed with the skimmer for the money

Unread 05/11/2007, 12:15 PM   #108
luke33
Moved On

hoyta, that s the same prob i had with the noise. Get a pill bottle and drill two small holes into one end and make it a tight fit with the two venturi tubes adn push them through. Then on teh other end drill another hole and put a piece of tube in it. Put some paper towel's in teh pill jar and vwollla, a dead silent pump. A free silencer, it will blow your mind how silent it'll be ; )

As a side note, while i'm sitting here at work not working, i thought of a way to fix the whole "skimmer can't handle that much flow" problem i've been going through. The sk200's are 9.5" at the bottom and 8" diameter at the top. And 15" tall. I would think that body is large enough for around 750gph like an otp3000. And the sk388 should be able to handle around 1200gph with a 17" tall 11" diameter and 9.5" diameter. Anyhow, if you all notice the feeder tube blows directly at the bottom and the water moves straight up. What i plan on doing is attaching a piece of tubing on my skimmer and putting a pvc t connected to it and have two elbo's on each end of the t. that should cut the turbulence and give the skimmer more reaction time. After thinking for 5 secs, i don't think this is possible for teh sk200 unless you open the bottom back up. I can fit my hand in teh sk399, so fatrip, you could do this as well.

My 1000gph NW is delivered according to ups so i'll be trying the turbulence mod this weekend along with the new pump and some venturi's. I'll post my findings......and yes Guysmile, some pics : )

Unread 05/11/2007, 01:40 PM   #109
hoyta
Registered Member

hmmm,need to check that out. It wasn't really the air being sucked through the venturi hoses, it was the actual pump. sounded like it was being strained. Ohwell, I will have to try it out

Unread 05/11/2007, 01:58 PM   #110
luke33
Moved On

Hmm, thats not good! lol, they do vibrate a bit so if its touching the sides it would pry be loud, but the suction cups on teh bottom should resolve that. I'd try the silencer and see if that takes care of it. I have a feeling it will.

Unread 05/11/2007, 02:53 PM   #111
GuySmilie
Premium Member

Quote:
I'll post my findings......and yes Guysmile, some pics : )

Unread 05/11/2007, 04:05 PM   #112
GuySmilie
Premium Member

Here's what I've been considering doing with my SK200.
I'm not too keen on putting a bigger pump on this little skimmer, so that is not a consideration for me at this time. Maybe a mesh mod sometime later down the line.

But what has bugged me since day one it that darned inner shield tube. I just can't get my mind wrapped around leaving it as it is, even though I know that in its stock configuration this skimmer is a great performer. So the Dremel trigger finger is getting itchy and I don't think it's gonna make it till Monday without pulling the trigger
Here is two options I'm considering:

Configuration A is the stock setup.

Configuration B has the inner shield removed except for the last one inch, in an effort to help contain the lower area blast of air/water, to keep it out of the exit tubes input area.

Configuration C has the inner tube completely removed. Then with the leftover scrap piece of tube, I cut off a 1" length, then cut that in half lengthwise, to make a piece of plastic in the shape of a 'C'. Then glue this in place in front of the exit tube's pick up area so that it shields the pick up from picking up excess turbulence.

So what do y'all think?
I'd prefer C, but I don't want to run out of pump power, if you know what I mean.
I think the stock pump will have enough umfph to maintain a solid column of fractionated water.
Anyone disagree, or see a better plan?

Unread 05/11/2007, 09:23 PM   #113
luke33
Moved On

GO with c man.

On another note, i got the 1000gph NW pump in today, and like i figured they screwed the order up and didn't send a NW impeller, so i went into the garage and made it into one anyhow and threw two layers of mesh on it. The volute is freakin huge and deep on this guy. I think 3 layers of mesh max on this guy. Anyhow, they didn't send a venturi either so go figure i'll contact them here soon to get the impeller. This thing is pulling some serious air, i'm guessing it could give me a hickey if i were to stick it on my neck.......but i won't. To many questions from the wife would come up. So its pulling some serious froth with the venturi's i made.......but i'm not satisfied at all with them. I took pics of the impeller mod but thats pretty much it, and of the pump and what not, i'll post later. I cut the skimmer tube down on the outside about an inch and a half so i could fit the pump without having to cut the footprint off. It worked well and i attached a piece of tubing and connected them both. I think i may remove the tube on the outside and get some pvc that fits it. It could be a larger diameter, its to small. I'm thinin 3/4" to 1" and it'll pull much more water. I still need to find a piece for the inner tube to cut on the turbulence. Anyhow, i'm out for tonight, unless something exciting happens.

Unread 05/11/2007, 09:26 PM   #114
OnlyCrimson
Registered Member

Hmmm, I don't think that C design will sheild much from the bubbles. They just go around it with the water flow. It would be better to have a good baffle desing in the sump. But you can try whatever.

OnlyCrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2007, 09:37 PM   #115
luke33
Moved On

Crimson, you gettin any skimmate yet man? Is anyone getting any skimmate?

Unread 05/11/2007, 11:32 PM   #116
luke33
Moved On

So I got a reply back from odyssea about not getting a NW impeller, they were very smart A about it and told me i pry didn' know what a NW was and to take a pic of the impeller i received and to explain to them what i thougt a venturi was. Man, what a load of crap. Anyhow i did what they asked so we'll see what happens. I'm going to bash them hard or praise them well after this one. I personally don't think they know what a NW is.

Unread 05/12/2007, 09:36 PM   #117
luke33
Moved On

OK, after a brief explanation and pics of there impeller and no venturi, they apologized and are going to fix it. I guess aquatraders got a shipment of pumps that are supose to be NWs but were't. So they say. I figure they just thought i was a dipship and could pull one on me. Anyhow, here's what there stock impeller looks like and then what i did to it to basically turn it into a NW then meshmoded it. I just used a knife heated up to cut it down. I then made this venturi with pics, and it is pulling tons and tons of air, more air is being pulled with this pump then i've ever seen. I need an air meter to get the facts but i'm estimating 35-45schf. I'll have to get an air meter soon. It will pull 1000gph of water without a venturi hooked up. With the 5/8" air injector hooked up it looks to be pulling around 700gph of water and 300-400gph air. A pretty darn good ratio! I'll get the facts first though and there may be a better venturi to make in the future. ONe more mod this weekend to go and i'll e done with the skimmer.

Here's the stock impeller(really looks like a NW huh!)

Here's after i cut it down.

Here's after the meshmod(two layers, could pry fit three)

Here's the pump in action with the venturi hooked up and the modded input. I basically just got a 3/4" bulkhead that fit the same output as the skimmer input with tubing. It worked perfect.

Its really milked out well and the lat mod i'll do tomorrow is fit the turbulence mod on the inner tube output. It should make a world of difference!

Unread 05/12/2007, 09:36 PM   #118
OnlyCrimson
Registered Member

Quote:
So I got a reply back from odyssea about not getting a NW impeller, they were very smart A about it and told me i pry didn' know what a NW was and to take a pic of the impeller i received and to explain to them what i thougt a venturi was. Man, what a load of crap. Anyhow i did what they asked so we'll see what happens. I'm going to bash them hard or praise them well after this one. I personally don't think they know what a NW is.
I don't know if you have seen there "needle wheel" impeller, but it just looks like little bumps on a smaller impeller paddle.

I'm not getting any yet. I'm giving it another week and then I'm getting the octopus NW pump. Hopefully that will get it working better.

Unread 05/12/2007, 10:24 PM   #119
luke33
Moved On

Crimson, i can't believe there s no skimmate yet....its been about two weeks right? And yea, i've seen there impeller but i got a normal one and its just the principal. lol, if they say NW, then give me a freakin NW even if its a junk NW. lol. Anyhow, are you still getting fizz or what man, you should be getting some skimmate at this point? Whats goin on with the skimmer, where's the water level at?

Unread 05/12/2007, 10:26 PM   #120
luke33
Moved On

Oh BTW, my thumb nail is all jacked up cuzz i almost cut it off when i was drilling the venturi......doubt if you noticed but its in half on half off in the venturi pic. My own stupidity!! lol

Unread 05/13/2007, 12:01 AM   #121
OnlyCrimson
Registered Member

Haha I see that now! be careful! Yeah, I'm still getting bubbles. They go about halfway up the riser tube. The water level in the tank is just above the portion of the skimmer where it slants upwards. And i set the height in the skimmer to about the top of the rounded portion. I'm thinking maybe i should give the collection cup a vinegar bath. Get any oils off of it to maybe allow the bubbles to move easier over it.

Unread 05/13/2007, 06:33 AM   #122
luke33
Moved On

Well at this point crimson, you've gotta very very close to being broke in. I wouldn't worry about the vinegar and just let nature take its course. If the riser tube is full of gunk, i'd clean that off though.

Unread 05/13/2007, 10:05 AM   #123
OnlyCrimson
Registered Member

Yeah i guess i will clean it then. On a sidenote in my dream last night the skimmer was pulling tons of gunk and it was also about three times as big as it actually is. No joke i actually had a dream about it. lol to that

Unread 05/13/2007, 10:57 AM   #124
brownsugar
Registered Member

Im glad someone else has discovered Via Aqua Skimmers.

I've got a Via Aqua Multi on a 32 gallon even tho its rated for tanks up to 80 gallons works like a charm. Considering the price and i was previously using a Jebo air operated skimmer im very happy with the results.

I've even tried it on my 150 gallon and given the Aquamedic Turbo Flotor a run for its money.

What amazes me is that in get such good performance from a skimmer with such little adjustment - not something you get easily with the lower priced skimmers in the market.

brownsugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/13/2007, 03:57 PM   #125
luke33
Moved On

Brownsugar, could you post some skimmate pics of your multi when you get a chance? I've always heard people bash teh multi's but i've never seen one in person, this would be great to hear it works well. How does the uv in it work?

Also, i made my final mod today....well until i get my new NW impeller and maybe a different venturi, but anyhow I'll post pics later of what i did. I made the inner tube that pushes the water to the bottom a bit longer and added a piece that disperses water on each side of the skimmer and not just straight down. My skimmer is 100% milked out from top to bottom and the turbulence are cut waaaaay down. The skimmer could pry handle alot more gph, it was a very easy and cheap mod as well. Cost 2.50.