Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/03/2017, 12:57 PM   #1
dfm34
Registered Member

Advice needed on new set up

I am going to set up an anemone tank and looking for some advice. I am contemplating a 35-65 gallon rimless and I am torn between several species.

BTA
LTA
Haddoni

There will be nothing but the anemone and a pair of clowns.

My thoughts are

BTA are nice when tentacles are long but I am not a fan of when the Bubble just my preference

LTA I like the tentacle look but he over all colors seem blah to me.

I jus love the carpet look especially a blue one but how long before it outgrow the tank 20x20x20 or will I be ok if this and clowns are only thing in tank.

Any suggestions pros cons would be appreciated.

Thanks Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

180 gal DT with 75 gal sump/fuge,10 gal cryptic zone, 3x400w MH with 4x80w T5. life reef vs3 30" skimmer
dfm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 01:29 PM   #2
Ryan Darilek
Registered Member

What type of clowns are you thinking? That would be the deciding factor for me. People (myself included) don't usually have luck getting LTA's to host percula/ocellaris clowns. Either carpet or BTA's for those guys. If I had to choose between the BTA or carpet, I would go with the BTA. They aren't so wonderful when they are small, but they are pretty amazing once they mature! Here's a picture of mine:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ryan Darilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 03:09 PM   #3
dfm34
Registered Member

Ryan

That is a beautiful BTA. I was indeed the potentially false assumption that longer tentacles on a BTA was hit or miss.

180 gal DT with 75 gal sump/fuge,10 gal cryptic zone, 3x400w MH with 4x80w T5. life reef vs3 30" skimmer
Unread 07/03/2017, 03:25 PM   #4
dfm34
Registered Member

I was thinking of either a clarki or a Perec so either would work with BTA or Haddoni.

Unread 07/03/2017, 05:31 PM   #5
OrionN
Moved on

If bright color anemone is what you want then Haddoni is the anemone you like to keep. They will not out grow your tank if you don't feed them. You can keep an anemone essentially same size forever if you don't feed them.

Blue , purple, green red and various shade of these color can be found but expect to pay with an arm or a leg for them. Bright green is very beautiful and relatively cheaper than blue, purple, or red

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 06:58 PM   #6
dfm34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
If bright color anemone is what you want then Haddoni is the anemone you like to keep. They will not out grow your tank if you don't feed them. You can keep an anemone essentially same size forever if you don't feed them.

Blue , purple, green red and various shade of these color can be found but expect to pay with an arm or a leg for them. Bright green is very beautiful and relatively cheaper than blue, purple, or red

I am definitely leaning this way love the blue and green is not bad. Red and purple are amazing but yes they are an arm and a leg. I am will to pay around 300 for a Haddoni any suggestions on were to get.

Unread 07/03/2017, 09:28 PM   #7
OrionN
Moved on

Some place with a good waranty.
You need to be patient to get a good anemone.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote