Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2003, 11:45 AM   #76
pbs911
Registered Member

Thanks for the Stockman standpipe. I used the original design and works great. Since the tank is in the den where we spend most of our time it is a godsend.

I actually made two. I have a 1" bulkhead opening and my first used 1" thinwall. The second was with 1.25" piping. All other components were the same except the 1.25" to 1" reducer and 1.25" cap for the second. I had a little bit of trouble getting enough flow for my Mag12 return with the 1". The 1.25 inch pipe allowed me to open the side intels more since the difference between the 2" coupling and 1.25" diameter pipe would prevent things that may clog the bulkhead opening from entry. I get excellent flow with the 1.25" pipe. A little better than the 1". So maybe the principle of the Durso "I don't know why it [.25" difference] works" also applies?

Current Tank Info: 150 gal Thru Wall, ES8-2, Mag 18, 6000 Streams, 400W 14Ks, JBJ 1/4 hp,GEO CR. FOR SALE 90 gal glass RR, stand, CL, sump
pbs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2003, 03:55 PM   #77
kstockman
Registered Member

tbooher--

Where is the bulkhead in the tank--on the bottom or on the side of the tank?

Either way this idea will work, but it might be easier if the bulkhead is on the bottom.

Make my design then buy a 4" PVC endcap and use a hole saw to drill a hole in the end cap the diameter of the pipe. THe pipe that leads to the drain that is. Slide the endcap over the inner standpipe so that it is facing up--like a cup--to the point where the bottom of the cup come up to about 1/2" from the bottom edge of the coupling fitting. You might have to use a dremel tool to get the endcap to fit over the pipe--you want a snuggle fit. I would consider gluing the seal between the endcap and the pipe.

The endcap will act as an internal overflow box, so you will get the desired surface skimming.

Put the pipe back in place so that the top edge of the endcap is where you want the water level.

Does this make any sense? I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't have one handy. I use this approach for my refugium. I have water drain in from the main tank to the refugium, then water exits through this type of overflow/standpipe to the sump. It has worked well for over two years now.

If you do a search on my posts, then you will find a picture because I have posted it.

kstockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2003, 04:16 PM   #78
srfndoc
Registered Member

The bulkhead is on the bottom of the tank. I actually made a durso last night and it is working very well so I may stick with it for now. I do however like the fact that yours are more compact but since my overflow is exposed, size isn't really an issue.

Thanks

srfndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2003, 05:41 PM   #79
Vincerama2
Registered Member

the difference between 1 inch and 1.25 inch diameter pipes is that 1.25" pipes have 36% larger intake area. And that's a lot!

area of a circle = 3.14 * (d^2)/4
where d is diameter
(or "pi r squared")

(unless my math is wrong, which is likely)
V

Current Tank Info: 10g nano reef, 58 Oceanic, 37 FW, toilet
Vincerama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2003, 07:16 PM   #80
AZDesertRat
Moved On

How tall should the standpipe be? My tank is 23" H and the top of the overflow is 22" H. I see on the durso website they say have the water level in the overflow about 2" below the main tank. Is this also true with a Stockman?

AZDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2003, 07:56 PM   #81
marm64
Registered Member

I made mine last night and installed but it had a terrible sucking noise through the cap and no matter what I did I could not get rid of the noise. I have a 1" bulkhead that and the pipe was 22" for a 24" tall tank. The overflow goes down to my sump and the pipe goes about 1 1/2" to 2" below the water level in my sump. I am running a Little Giant 3mdq-sc and pumping about 850 gph through the pump. I had to put the Durso back on and it does not sound bad but was hoping for a more compact and like the idea that it is a 1" pipe all the way to the sump.

What am I doing wrong that I get the terrible air sucking noise. I cut all but three of the braces like you.

Thanks

marm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2003, 06:37 AM   #82
Finally!
Registered Member

I bought the parts but it didn't work because I was not able to get the correct parts. The 2" to 1" reducer had the fluted section on the opposite side and my rig did not work.....Like everyone said, HD sucks and I don't have a Lowes around here. So I built the Durso and its working so far....Thanks for everyone’s help....

Finally! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2003, 09:09 AM   #83
Teraphage
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marm64
I made mine last night and installed but it had a terrible sucking noise through the cap and no matter what I did I could not get rid of the noise.
The same thing happened to me...after optimizing the level of the plug, it had reduced the noise level, but it was still creating a sucking sound. Putting a cover on my overflow box helped some. Interestingly, after a week or so, the sucking sound has totally disappeared....like the stockman overflow had a break in period. I think part of it has to do with trying to push too much flow through a 1 inch overflow...when I throttled back my return pump the sucking sound also disappeared. I love the new design though; compact, professional looking, and quiet.

Teraphage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2003, 07:16 AM   #84
kstockman
Registered Member

I have yet to figure out why the pipe works on some tanks and not on others. It may have to do with the plumbing to the sump and back pressure.

I have made my design (original) for about 20 people so far and I have had numerous people contact me directly. Very few people have had a problem--actually I can think of only one person off hand.

Unread 12/13/2003, 01:58 PM   #85
marm64
Registered Member

If I play with the drain into my sump I might be able to eliminate the sucking noise? My drain is 1" flexible pvc and it goes into the sump about 1-2". What do you think I should do to see if I can get rid of the sucking noise? I would be willing to try stuff if I knew where to start.

Thsnks

marm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2003, 04:30 PM   #86
kstockman
Registered Member

first I would put the drain deeper into the sump.

Unread 12/15/2003, 04:35 PM   #87
RonSF
Registered Member

Any idea if these parts are availible in dark gray PVC (sch. 80, usually)? I have an AGA tank that sits in the middle of a room as a room divider, and my overflow is visible, so something other than white is desirable. I have a reducer and cap with holes drilled in it right now, but am tired of the intermittent noise from it. I'd like to try the new design, but may just wind up blacking out the overflow compartment if it needs to be made from white pipe.
-Ron

RonSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2003, 04:49 PM   #88
AZDesertRat
Moved On

All the parts are available in gray sch. 80. Also www.customaquatics.com carries almost all PVC fitting in black sch.40.

Unread 12/15/2003, 04:58 PM   #89
RonSF
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AZDesertRat
All the parts are available in gray sch. 80. Also www.customaquatics.com carries almost all PVC fitting in black sch.40.
Thanks, Rat.

RonSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2003, 10:27 PM   #90
craigb315
Registered Member

I am considering making a stockman standpipe for my loud overflow. The question I have concerns the size of the standpipe. Looking at your plans you mention a 12” piece of 1” PVC, my overflow is rather small (see attachment) and the total depth is only 8". Any suggestions as to how I can fit one of these in my tank? Has anyone else succesfully used this standpipe with a similar overflow?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg overflow.jpg (29.6 KB, 426 views)
craigb315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2003, 10:31 PM   #91
AZDesertRat
Moved On

The height of the overflow can be whatever works for you. Look at Stockmans website or do a search here for stockman standpipe. His latest design is very compact and will fit in your hang on overflow just fine.

Unread 12/30/2003, 06:12 AM   #92
kstockman
Registered Member

My design was originally designed for my HOB overflows. THe hieght of the first pipe that I made was only 4" tall. They worked like a charm on the first shot.

Unread 12/30/2003, 10:07 AM   #93
Johnnyfishkiller
Registered Member

I just built the "new" stockman overflow for my first acrylic project, an overflow box that fits with an eclipse hood. Works like a charm. Thanks Ken.

Johnnyfishkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2004, 06:22 PM   #94
cordell
Registered Member

ok I just rigged up the stockman for my lifereef 700gph.. it does reduce the noise some, but it's still pretty loud. I'm wondering if I have the pipe going up too far in the box? The endcap is about 2" below the top of the outside overflow box. I drilled several holes in the pipe (will do the mitered thing later) and two small holes in the endcap. It was loud, so I drilled another, then another hole in the endcap-still loud. So I put my finger over a couple of the holes and it was very little bit quieter, so I glued two of the holes shut. But it's still really loud.
My drain goes about 1-2" below surface water in the sump. I raised and lowered it, no change, so I put it back to the 1-2" level.
I was thinking I might should cut some more of the PVC to bring the standpipe lower into the box?

thx for the great idea..

cordell

cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2004, 06:27 PM   #95
cordell
Registered Member

oh, here it is..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg standpipe.jpg (18.7 KB, 630 views)
cordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2004, 05:04 PM   #96
socal-rich
Registered Member

so what the heck do you do if your bulkhead is 1.5" ???

socal-rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2004, 06:15 PM   #97
socal-rich
Registered Member

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 1.5" drain

I guess I found my answer

Quote:
Just about every tank used by hobbiest has 1 inch bulkheads. However, some custom drilled tanks or very large tanks may have larger bulkheads. In almost every case I would suggest you install a reducer bushing down to 1 inch and use a standard sized standpipe. Only the largest of tanks will have overflow chambers with proper teeth spacing and have a properly size pump needed to keep a 1½ inch bulkhead and standpipe busy. If you can not provide enough water with a larger bulkhead the standpipe will slurp and suck air when the intake can not stay submerged.

If your dream is to use 1½ inch bulkhead on a 58 gallon tank forget about it! The Tim Taylor (Home Improvement TV show) thinking of larger, fatter, faster, bigger does not work as you would expect when dealing with drain pipes when the goal is to get them quiet.

Standpipes based on 1½ inch PVC typically will be to large for a standard overflow chamber.

Unread 01/16/2004, 10:55 PM   #98
IBASSFSH
Registered Member

Web site address

I am sorry, Ken do you have a web site? I have dursos and they are still kind of loud.

IBASSFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2004, 10:57 PM   #99
IBASSFSH
Registered Member

Nevr mind

I found it, just read down your posts a little further.

IBASSFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2004, 11:08 PM   #100
socal-rich
Registered Member

here are some pics of a 1-1/2" version, but with a screw cap!

3" to 1-1/2" reduction fitting (3" side cut off)
3" coupling fitting (threaded side has a notch cut)
3" cap (threaded)

loosten the cap to increase airflow