Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Atlantus
Registered Member

Silicone turn pink?

So I set up a fuge with a dsb and it has been running for about 2 weeks or so. Lastnight while I was doing my daily inspection I notice a small section of the silicone had turned light pink. This happened only in one spot that I can find that is about an inch long vertically. It is right at the top of my dsb and does not extend down but just to beyond the top of the dsb.

Does anyone know why this section and no other has turned light pink? What could have caused this? The silicone in the rest of the fuge/bubble traps all look clear and fine. I used DEP aquirium silicone from HD and let it cure for a godd 48 hrs before water testing. Also keep in mind that this fuge has been in use for a little over 2 weeks I think (will have to double check with log). Any thoughts?

Thank you

At

Current Tank Info: 75g w/ 30g sump (Cheato and 4.5" DSB); Flow: 2x Koralia 3, Koralia Nano (425), Mag5 Return; Skimmer: AquaClear MPS 75 (pump Rio 800 RVT); Lights: 4-54w T5 with Moonlights
Atlantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2009, 11:26 AM   #2
MileHighFish
Registered Member

Coraline algae?

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.
Mitch Hedberg

Current Tank Info: Reef tank, 100 gal Lee Mar polished.. 60 sump.. 800 watts mh 20k radium..Ran on "Taiwan HQI Ballast" 330 watt VHO.. 48 watt compacts (dawn/dusk).. sps/lps tank..
MileHighFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2009, 11:44 AM   #3
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Hopefully I am reading this right, the silicone has only been "wet" for two weeks?

If that is the case, something similar happened with one of my sumps, but the silicone turned yellow, not pink. Never noticed any ill effects from it, but not sure why it did it.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2009, 12:00 PM   #4
Atlantus
Registered Member

Maybe I can get a decent pic of it tonight and post it just to double check that I am not missing anything.

I also want to get a thread going about my tank at some point to get some feedback and ideas on the system I have set up. It is still in progress but it is good to have some feedback since I get none in hillbillyvile.

Current Tank Info: 75g w/ 30g sump (Cheato and 4.5" DSB); Flow: 2x Koralia 3, Koralia Nano (425), Mag5 Return; Skimmer: AquaClear MPS 75 (pump Rio 800 RVT); Lights: 4-54w T5 with Moonlights
Atlantus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2009, 03:03 PM   #5
MileHighFish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atlantus
hillbillyvile.
LOL

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.
Mitch Hedberg

Current Tank Info: Reef tank, 100 gal Lee Mar polished.. 60 sump.. 800 watts mh 20k radium..Ran on "Taiwan HQI Ballast" 330 watt VHO.. 48 watt compacts (dawn/dusk).. sps/lps tank..
MileHighFish is offline   Reply With Quote