Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Wereami881
Registered Member

Apex System Auto top off??

Hey guys / gals! Quick question. I picked up an Apex Controller System and was wondering if I still need my JBJ auto top off? I know the Apex (havent really gotten into it yet) can control pumps and sensors / floats. So can I set up a float switch to turn on and off a pump? If so I have a brand new JBJ auto top off for sale / trade. lol

Wereami881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2013, 08:25 PM   #2
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

i have Apex but i use Genesis system as my ato. i havent got into Apex to see what and how it can be done. Genesis does auto water changes and ato and refills ro/di water for me so i never paid attention to Apex for such control. maybe someone using one can chime on it. free bump to top.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2013, 08:51 PM   #3
thegrun
Registered Member

I still use my 7 year old JBJ auto-top off in conjunction with my Apex Neptune. I use the Apex to turn off the ATO during feeding periods. I like the built in timer in the JBJ that only allows a limited top off pump run duration (although you could program in the time duration with the Apex). I suppose it is redundant now that I think about it, but the JBJ has been very reliable.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2013, 08:57 PM   #4
shonc182
Registered Member

I use the Apex for ATO and like it. Mine is setup with an I/O breakout box that 2 floats (for redundancy) are hooked up to. I then control an outlet with an Aqua Lifter pump. I have an alarm setup if it has run too long, will shutoff if salinity drops, etc. Works like a champ - the weak link is the float switches.

Unread 03/12/2013, 09:17 PM   #5
ltfw ntsw
Registered Member

it can be done but if you already own an ato id use it to save some cash

ltfw ntsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2013, 09:24 PM   #6
infamous_6969
Registered Member

I do not have an apex but will some day. However, having redundancy or a backup in case something stopped working is not a bad thing considering you already own the JBJ.

Current Tank Info: None at this time --- SELLING Vertex Illumina sr260
infamous_6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Wereami881
Registered Member

So I take it It can be done. Since I already have both new in box I should just sell the JBJ and use the apex alone. Actually I'll probably use the JBJ for now since I have a ton of other things to figure out with the Apex the JBJ will make it a little simpler for now.
Thanks everyone!

Wereami881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2013, 11:04 AM   #8
hkgar
Registered Member

Here is the one I use. You don't need a break out box as it plugs into the pin outlet on the Apex

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/Top-off-Kit

I use it to turn the ATO pump on /off

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Switch1 CLOSED Then ON
If FeedD 000 Then OFF
Defer 005:00 Then ON

FeedD is for for when I do water changes and maintenance and shuts down return pump, heaters, skimmer and ATO

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2013, 11:44 AM   #9
OregonReefer2
Registered Member

Not only can you use it as an ATO (or a failsafe for your ATO) you could also setup automatic water changes

OregonReefer2 is offline   Reply With Quote