Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2010, 08:39 AM   #1
seanothon
Registered Member

Exclamation HELP! Eel attacking Eel

From the reading I have done and people I have asked, I thought that mixing the smaller Morays would be fine. A guy was breaking down his tank and had a snowflake he was just giving away. So I take it a put it into my tank. Bad Idea. My snowflake, which is probably 4 or 5 times bigger, was chasing it all over the tank once it saw it. I thought for sure the little one was a goner but I knew there wasn't too much I could do in the middle of the night. Today the little guy is still alive and seems to be acting normally. Unfortunately, the big eel grabbed ahold of him a few times and he has a few flesh wounds. I saw him get him a couple times and the last time he let go and swam back to his lair. I fed the big eel until he wouldn't eat anymore, so it does not seem like it is a hunger issue.

Do you think this was just an exertion of dominance and the bigger eel was setting up its territory or do you think the little guy is doomed?

It would be a hell of an undertaking to try to get the smaller eel out of the tank and it would probably end up trying to hide from the net inside the big eels cave and that certainly wouldn't be good.

what should i do here?

seanothon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 09:01 AM   #2
noahm
Registered Member

You may have to break out the rubbermaid tubs and take out the rock with the cave and so on until you get him out. Sometimes dominance runs its course, but eels are pretty solitary critters. I would try and get it out. How big of tank btw? I would think in a 250-300gal, you might get away with it if they settle their status issue, though in the wild they seem to have a hunting ground that is several square meters of space.

Last edited by noahm; 06/01/2010 at 09:07 AM.
noahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 09:08 AM   #3
seanothon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahm View Post
You may have to break out the rubbermaid tubs and take out the rock with the cave and so on until you get him out. Sometimes dominance runs its course, but eels are pretty solitary critters. I would try and get it out. How big of tank btw? I would think in a 250-300gal, you might get away with it if they settle their status issue, though in the wild they seem to have a hunting ground that is several square meters of space.
The tank is 90gl

Unread 06/01/2010, 09:22 AM   #4
serpentman
part time superhero

I would separate them ASAP or have 1 eel.

46g LPS/Softy Cube
300g FOWLR under construction - decommissioned
serpentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 10:01 AM   #5
billdogg
Registered Member

My experience with Eels is as follows (and I have had my Gymnothorax Undulatus for over 20 years)

His name is Hannibal. The Cannibal. Need I go any further? Although in a large enough tank it can work, if they are a fish eater, there will be issues that will most likely end with one of them either inside the other or outside the tank.

If it were me I would seperate them before one of the two things happens.

HTH

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 10:08 AM   #6
seanothon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
My experience with Eels is as follows (and I have had my Gymnothorax Undulatus for over 20 years)

His name is Hannibal. The Cannibal. Need I go any further? Although in a large enough tank it can work, if they are a fish eater, there will be issues that will most likely end with one of them either inside the other or outside the tank.

If it were me I would seperate them before one of the two things happens.

HTH
Snowflakes are not fish eaters, that is why I assumed it would not be a problem. They eat crustaceans and you can see the difference in the mouths of mine and your eel. Yours is long and pointed to snag fish and mine is blunt to crush crabs and etc. I have a wrasse in the tank, as well, that is much smaller than the small eel and the big one just doesn't really care as long as it gets shrimp brought to it. Also, since the little eel has kept to the other side of the tank since last night, it seems as if things have calmed down. I Think i will closely observe the tank today to decide if the big eel had made its point and will leave the other alone as long as it stays away from his cave or if there will be no end to the fighting. If it is the latter, I will get him out and take him to a LFS.

Unread 06/01/2010, 10:15 AM   #7
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Do the right thing, get it out and stop being irresponsible. Yes, you needed to hear that.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Toddrtrex
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanothon View Post
Snowflakes are not fish eaters, that is why I assumed it would not be a problem. They eat crustaceans and you can see the difference in the mouths of mine and your eel. Yours is long and pointed to snag fish and mine is blunt to crush crabs and etc. I have a wrasse in the tank, as well, that is much smaller than the small eel and the big one just doesn't really care as long as it gets shrimp brought to it. Also, since the little eel has kept to the other side of the tank since last night, it seems as if things have calmed down. I Think i will closely observe the tank today to decide if the big eel had made its point and will leave the other alone as long as it stays away from his cave or if there will be no end to the fighting. If it is the latter, I will get him out and take him to a LFS.
Being a fish eater or not doesn't matter. Clowns aren't fish eaters, and I have seen them attack (( and nearly kill )) other fish (( 3 stripe damsel )). Have also seen it with angels, tangs, etc., being a fish eater or not doesn't matter.

Current Tank Info: 210g reef and 65g reef
Toddrtrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2010, 12:29 PM   #9
LukFox
Registered Member

Eels can be pretty hit or miss on mixing them, even within the same species. People have had success and failure with the very same mixes, and even with putting two individuals of the same species together. I've seen eels living together in the same caves in the wild so I'm not sure that they're solitary all the time, but it seems clear your snowflake does not want this smaller eel in there. The fact that it has already gotten physical is very bad (I've witnessed aggressive posturing between incompatible eels, but I never allowed it to escalate), and you should remove the smaller eel as soon as possible. Situations like this tend to end in death if something is not done.

Unread 08/27/2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Dragon moray ki
Registered Member

Get him out asap. I know this thread is old but what the hck

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Green moray tank connected to 400 gallon shark pond. 90 gallon mixed reef
Dragon moray ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/27/2011, 01:28 PM   #11
Jeremy Blaze
Former Reef Addict

These freebies, often out to be a bad idea, don't they?

Dragon moray ki, good job digging up an onld thread. If the eel is still in there, I'd say he doesn't have to worry about removing him now.

Unread 09/13/2011, 08:25 PM   #12
Dragon moray ki
Registered Member

Yeah tell me about it

Current Tank Info: 600 gallon Green moray tank connected to 400 gallon shark pond. 90 gallon mixed reef
Dragon moray ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2011, 12:36 PM   #13
seanothon
Registered Member

Sorry about the delay. I got the smaller eel out of there and everything went back to normal.

Tags
attack, fight, moray, snowflake eel