Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2006, 02:27 PM   #251
dantodd
Registered Member

You may be OK to add another GSM. I would strongly suggest purchasing a very large fish though. The bigger the size difference the more likely you are to be successful.

Maroons are aggressive fish and only submit to overewhelming force. You need a fish who is big and strong enough that the little one has no question that she will kill him if he stands up to her.

Otherwise follow the pairing guidelines in the FAQ thread at the top of this forum.

Once you've RTFMed post your questions here in a new thread because a new thread will get more attention.

Good luck.
Dan

Current Tank Info: 10 gal nano-reef 96w PC -- 72 bowfront anemone/A. clarkii tank - 20L reef with mantis and A. melanopus
dantodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2006, 08:07 PM   #252
NETSECPRO
Registered Member

Tonight I found another GSM that is at least 1.5 - 2 times the size of the one I currently have. I am going to try and pair them since there is no question as to which one is bigger and stronger. I will keep you posted, and once I get things straight, I will take a few pics and post them.

Thanks!

NETSECPRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2006, 09:51 PM   #253
dantodd
Registered Member

if you haven't read the pairing FAQ above do so.

Don't give up if they refuse to accept each other on the first try. Isolate the one that is getting beaten up worst. It's best if they can still see each other so they will get used to being near each other etc.

Current Tank Info: 10 gal nano-reef 96w PC -- 72 bowfront anemone/A. clarkii tank - 20L reef with mantis and A. melanopus
Unread 07/24/2006, 12:15 AM   #254
burtnnator07
Registered Member

I've been trying to pair up two ocellaris in my tank for a about a month and a half.

I've had one clown in my tank for about 6 months. I assumed that having been alone for so long it would be female. I bought a smaller clown and introduced it into my tank. The original clown is about 2" and the smaller one is about an 1.5".

At first the female would harrass it, but it rarely twitched in submission to the female. The violence got to the point that I was afraid the female would kill the small clown (he hid constantly and turned really pale) so I put him in a net breeder. I had to leave for camp for a week where I would not be able to watch and I didn't trust my parents to do something in case the fighting got bad or the smaller clown was killed. While I was at camp I put the female in the net breeder and the male back in the tank so that the he would recover.

Well, I released the female back into the tank when I got home. That was 4 weeks ago. At first it was just a little nipping and chasing but nothing too serious. The smaller one had been twitching to the female when she would charge him pretty often so I figured they were on their way to being a pair.

However, the last week the female was pretty relentless and the little clown would submit but she still chases him all over the place. One night I was watching just before the lights went out and she grabbed him by a pectoral fin and had him in a kind of "fin-lock" so I decided to break it up with the turkeybaster.

Since there was no real damage I left the little guy in and if he showed signs of damage I planned to take him out. So far there are no injuries but my fish haven't really "paired" either.

Just now I walked into my room and the fish are sleeping in the same area. I'm getting really mixed signals from these fish.

What should I do? Any idea how long should I wait before assuming that the current ones won't pair up?
Take out the smaller one and try to find a tiny juvenile?

burtnnator07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2006, 01:54 PM   #255
burtnnator07
Registered Member

Anyone?

Thanks.

burtnnator07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2006, 01:59 PM   #256
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Quote:
Originally posted by burtnnator07
One night I was watching just before the lights went out and she grabbed him by a pectoral fin and had him in a kind of "fin-lock" so I decided to break it up with the turkeybaster.
Happened for a few months with my black ocellaris. They are famous for the pec shake.

IME, if there is little damage, let them sort it out. Feed them plenty so that the weaker one gets some leftovers. Expect the female to put on a serious growth spurt.

Good luck.

Current Tank Info: Glass 2.5's
traveller7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2006, 03:29 PM   #257
kamil5000
Registered Member

I've had two percs for over a year now. The bigger one (female) has grown quite a bit whilst the smaller male is probably the same size as the day I got him.

The male does the submissive behaviour every time the female goes upto him, and many times I see them sleeping together, I have even seen the female protect the male if it is about to be harrasses by another tank inhabitant.

Yet no spawning

Will they start spawning in time or is it a failed partnership?

Tks

Current Tank Info: 200g display tank - Envision Acrylic, 50g LR sump, 40g water treatment tank, 75g RDSB + refugium, Deltec TC 2560 external skimmer, Deltec phos & carb reactor, Tunze Wavebox plus Tunze ph, 2 x Iwaki returns, Koralline reactor, LED lights
kamil5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2006, 08:03 PM   #258
dantodd
Registered Member

Some fish never spawn and some take years. I believe (with no real data to support the belief) it is up to the female.

Based on the dimorphism and behavior you described I suspect that they are a good pair and are either simply not ready to spawn yet or they are not comfortable enough with the other inhabitants in the tank to spawn.

Unread 07/27/2006, 01:56 AM   #259
kamil5000
Registered Member

Maybe with time....

I think the tank's inhabitants are quite passive (Psuedochroms, yellow tail Damsel, 3x anthias, Mandarin, and for the Tang Police - a small blue Hippo). The clown appears to be the Alpha female - nobody messes with her!

Current Tank Info: 200g display tank - Envision Acrylic, 50g LR sump, 40g water treatment tank, 75g RDSB + refugium, Deltec TC 2560 external skimmer, Deltec phos & carb reactor, Tunze Wavebox plus Tunze ph, 2 x Iwaki returns, Koralline reactor, LED lights
Unread 07/27/2006, 08:02 AM   #260
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Quote:
Originally posted by kamil5000
Yet no spawning
Feed her more.

Saturation feeding is a friend when trying to get clowns breeding.

Unread 07/27/2006, 08:04 AM   #261
kamil5000
Registered Member

I'm feeding the tank twice a day - should i go for three times for the whole tank - or try target feeding the female?

Unread 07/27/2006, 09:52 AM   #262
DeanneL
Registered Member

Pairing up question

I've had two false percs for about 10 months. They were very small when I got them and one is slightly larger than the other. I've never seen any fighting or aggression between them. The smaller one just follows the bigger one around.

Last month I added a rose anemone to the tank. To my delight, the larger clown is being hosted by the anemone, sleeps in it at night. I have not noticed the smaller clown in the anemone at all. It has been hanging around the back of the tank where it sleeps.

Have my clowns paired up? Will the smaller clown eventually go into the anemone too?

DeanneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2006, 10:38 AM   #263
dantodd
Registered Member

it's hard to tell from just the info you put in. It is not uncommon for the female of a pair to kick the male out of the host at night. If they are spending the majority of their days together and they show mutual submissive behavior (see the FAQ at the top of this forum) then they are probably a pair.

Unread 07/27/2006, 11:57 AM   #264
traveller7
Time to get back in?

Quote:
I'm feeding the tank twice a day - should i go for three times for the whole tank - or try target feeding the female?
Head over to the Clownfish and Anemones FAQ page here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=282136

You'll find just about everything you are looking for

Unread 07/27/2006, 05:12 PM   #265
kamil5000
Registered Member

Great article. Tks scott.

Unread 08/20/2006, 08:56 AM   #266
dantodd
Registered Member

Quote:

Yet no spawning

Will they start spawning in time or is it a failed partnership?
Any luck with the increased feeding? If not, try daily (or as fequent as possible) live brine feedings for 4 days or so.

Unread 11/03/2006, 12:01 PM   #267
zoozilla
Registered Member

Awesome pairing info in this thread

Current Tank Info: ~180 Display + 40 NAGA Built Sump + 30 Fuge + 30 BTA & Misc Tank
zoozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2006, 02:13 PM   #268
ISmojo
Registered Member

New Maroon

Hi all,

I've been soaking up all this info like a sponge and a lot of you have helped me in my decision already. I have but a few questions and I feel they may not have been addressed and I would just like to a general "feel" about how you all might think I am doing.

I have had a 3"+ Maroon in my stable tank for a few weeks now. She seems to eat well and is not aggressive towards me at all. She comes out of her BTA when I come near. I guess she always assumes I am going to feed her when I come close.

Yesterday I added a >1", I think it's about 1/2"-3/4" in size Gold Stripe Maroon. I drilled holes in one of my specimen containers and hung it on the inside in close proximity to the female (assumed) overnight and half of today with the juvi in it. I was extremely nervous when it came time to it's release, but I managed to do it and was prepared for the worst. The female approached it aggressively and the new juvi twitched several times and swam away. The female continued to chase him even though he showed her submissiveness. She has nipped at his tail fin a little but not too bad. She once clamped down on his tail and drug him through the tank. This lasted for about half an hour.

Now the problem is that the juvi is terrified of her and has remained between my rockwork and the backside of the tank. He has remained there for about 3 hours now. My question for you is this normal? Can I expect him to grow a spine and come out?

Thanks!

Here are some pics I have taken, these pics do well showing almost the actual size the clowns:

ISmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2006, 03:36 PM   #269
TOURKID
Registered Member

ismojo... In my situation, I also paired my larger maroon with a baby, used a specimin container for a day and 1/2... and when he escaped.. (i wasent ready to let him out) all heck broke loose. she ate chunks off all his fins, and chased him around all day. he found refuge behind the maxi jets and bubblebox and swam in and out of hiding fast enough that she let him go.

he basicly stayed behind the maxi the rest of the day and over night. The next day he just couldent stand not being near the nem that he saw.. and kept getting more daring. she would dart at him and make him shimmy, but by the next day he was welcome in the nem and has been ever since. Id say you are def on the right track!!!

now

specimin container, minutes after adding it

minutes after he escaped

this was the next day he wanted in soo bad lol

EXPECT more than others think is possible

Current Tank Info: nada
TOURKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2006, 06:21 PM   #270
GSMguy
Registered Member

i want to share my experience withyou all i started a year ago my first fish was a bright red gsm it eventually darkened quite a bit and grew to about 2 and ahalf inches a couple weeks ago my girlfriend fell in love with another lil GSM i bought a specimin container and put the lil guy close to the anemone the female immediatly went to the specimen container and tried to kill the lil one i left him in there the female never took her eye off him about 48 hours later i took the female out and put the male in the tank to get used to the anemone he went right in while the female watched him a day later i put them in together this was the extroidinary part allowing the male to get used to the anemone was amazing the female came at him and he hid in the large anemone everytime she charged him he shook and was never bitten she did mouth his pectoral fin quite a bit after this they were fine it was an amazing experience now i have two amazing GSM i love em

try the trick i did and tell me if it works for you allowing the small clown to get used to the tank unharmed was great

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2006, 08:25 PM   #271
ISmojo
Registered Member

Pairing Project Update

Thanks for the tips and vote of confidence guys.

The day after posting I noticed the juvi come out to the front. He didnt come out far, just to the rock edge through a passage that leads to the front from the back. The female approached him several times almost curiously. She didn't attack him, but when she approached he shimmied and kissed her cheeks. I thought he was good to go at that point, but after about 1 hour he returned to the back of the tank.

Today he came out to the rock edge this morning for about and hour and returned to the back again and remained there.

My concern at this point is whether or not he is getting enough to eat. Im placing some food into one of my powerhead flows to carry some back to him.

I guess I should give it more time. Do you think it would be a good idea to place some rubble in the big openings on the backside to force him to the frontside?

At this point I think the female is ok with him, but he doesn't seem to get it.

Thanks!

ISmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2006, 08:47 PM   #272
Atticus
Registered Member

Usually a female will herd a male to her nest area. The fact that he is still stressed worries me and I do not believe a true bond is formed and possibly will not form with this pairing.

Current Tank Info: As many as the wife will allow....
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2006, 05:36 PM   #273
grinch77
Registered Member

This needs to be a sticky.I was about to give up on clowns all together till I read this very good info for us noobs..

grinch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2007, 01:54 PM   #274
Marxx
Registered Member

Hi, I own a ocellaris since a week or two and he/she was paired to a similar size fish. That one was eaten by an anemone (not a hosting kind) and mine was stung badly.
I'm feeding it a lot and it recovered completely and now lives in a hosting anemone.

Should I wait a while to be sure it will become a female before adding a small juvenile? Or should I add the juvenile as soon as possible to keep the old fish social and used to it's kind?

Is it important to pick a smaller of the litter when they are all juvenile? Maybe the dominant 1,5 inch fish is allready a female?

I can get a small fish with broad black parts but not a percula. I love that small clown but it is the dominant of 3 babies in a tank. The other two have failures in their stripes so I would love to pick the biggest.

Marxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2007, 11:32 AM   #275
witelytr
Registered Member

i am cosidering buying a pair or false percs that do not habitate the same anenome. the seller has advised that they are a mating pair and have spawned but no babies out of the anenome. anysuggestions on how to mate once they have been in a tank together and there is submission?

witelytr is offline   Reply With Quote