Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/13/2017, 05:22 PM   #1
RussC
Registered Member

Stocky Pink Anthias picking on a Lyretail anthias...What to do?

Purchased a stocky pink anthias last week. I was told it was a different kind of anthias. Beautiful fish. Just added a lyretail yesterday and the Stocky Pink immediately started bullying the lyretail. That got me researching the Stocky Pink and that's when I learned exactly what kind of anthias it is. Turns out its considered semi aggressive. Had I know that ahead of time I wouldn't have purchased it. I plan on having several anthias and last thing I want is a bully anthias in the tank. Now I can't decide what to do. The lyretail has begun to eat. So its settling in. And I've noticed less bullying and more comingling of the two in the last 24 hours. But its still picking on my new lyretail. Anyone got any input on this? Would you recommend letting them figure it out. Is this normal behavior for anthias? Or once a bully always a bully? The LFS will take the fish back if I can catch it and get it to them. But tell you the truth, I have no clue if I could ever catch it.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2017, 11:32 PM   #2
suta4242
Registered Member

Yeah they should sort it out, with the dominant fish keeping others in check. FWIW adult lyretails hold their own pretty well.

If you only have two anthias you may need to add more so that the dominant male spreads his aggression.

HTH

suta4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2017, 07:17 AM   #3
RussC
Registered Member

Although larger, the stocky pink Anthias is a female. She is currently the largest fish in the tank and has been absolutely solitary and peaceful...until I put the female lyretail in. She only shows aggression towards the lyretail. That’s why I figured there could be a pecking order being established and I’m hopeful that the aggression will reside some once established. Otherwise I guess she’ll have to go.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer XL 425 Alive and Kick'n BOD 8-29-17
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote