Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/05/2017, 08:35 PM   #1
alexmederos
Registered Member

New 150 Acrylic Build :hammer:

Whats up RC?! I’m creating this build due to a major tragedy i had with my 30 gallon reef… My boiler broke in February during a week long freeze here in Jersey. needless to say, the temp in my house dropped to 30 degrees (which we had to relocate to the in laws). My tank heater couldn’t keep up with the weather.

Long story short my 1 1/2 year old reef tank didn’t survive. 2 Clowns, small tang and blue spotted puffer(which were eventually going to outgrow the tank and needed a new home), and RBT anemone, GONE!!! So now the only things that are left are some snails, live rock (some bleached? Coralline) and a stupid aptasia that popped up.

Regardless, I am starting from scratch:
Phase 1
!!!Reinforcing floor!!! Even if it doesn’t need it, ill be able to sleep at night.

Phase 2
-Home made wood stand
-A 150 gallon TruVu reef ready acrylic tank (6x2x2)
-80 lbs Ocean Direct live sand
-100 lbs Pukani dry rock

Phase 3
-Sump , return pump, and piping

Ill also be setting the 30 gallon tank as a quarantine tank along side the sump in the stand with its own filtration.

The family and I are taking a road trip to Miami the coming week so next Friday ill be ordering the tank. CANT WAIT!!!

alexmederos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2017, 09:07 PM   #2
Bratyboy2
Registered Member

6x2x2 is more then 150 gallons...might want to double check before you build your stand lol

Regardless welcome back to the hobby and hope you enjoy it again

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Bratyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2017, 09:11 PM   #3
alexmederos
Registered Member

womp womp! i meant 5x2x2 lol 60" thats where the 6 came from. never left the hobby just the internet for a while. also i forgot to mention the 2 MP40s... hope to start ASAP

Unread 04/26/2017, 08:18 PM   #4
alexmederos
Registered Member

Got my skimz 34 sumpro along with my Red Sea coral pro salt today. Ordered a 120 gallon advanced acrylics tank [changed from the 150(that would've taken 3 months to get to me) TruVu)] last Tuesday. Should be arriving sometime next week. I also bought ecotech marine l1 return pump, 1 mp40, and 1 radion xr30 G4 pro which arrive tomorrow.

Unread 04/26/2017, 08:35 PM   #5
Dale_M
Official Noob

Purchase a generator...

Dale_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2017, 09:02 PM   #6
alexmederos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_M View Post
Purchase a generator...

I am. A whole house permanent generator trust me. I def learned my lesson with a 30 gallon. With this 120, which is 4x the size, I'm gonna have to get one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
150 gallon, acrylic, aquarium, build, truvu