Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/01/2016, 08:16 AM   #1
jasonamyers
Registered Member

Red Sea Max E 170 Build

I just picked up a new Red Sea Max E 170 as my first ever saltwater tank. I'm sticking with the rear sump to get started. I worked with the closest LFS (Aquatic Critter in Nashville) to get the tank and initial supplies.

Initial Parts
  • Tank
  • Eheim - Jager Heater 200W
  • 21# of Branch and Shelf Rock
  • 40# of CaribSea Arag-Alive Sand
  • AutoAqua Smart ATO
  • Saltwater and Freshwater for top off

It took me a while to put the base together, (I'm not a handyman) but it wasn't hard and I felt like it was really solid once assembled. Here are a few pictures of the build process of the base

This door opener felt like the weakest component.

Completed Cabinet with it's nice padded top

Next was leak testing the tank:

Finally, I installed the sump components which was really just putting the components in place there was really nothing to see there other than plugging somethings into the outlets. Here is the completed tank

Next I'll show the sump in more detail and where I setup the heater and ATO.

jasonamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2016, 08:18 AM   #2
jasonamyers
Registered Member

Getting an error trying to edit the post to shrink the pictures...

jasonamyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Mapesyo
Registered Member

be interested to see the ATO setup i have a e170 that im cycling at the moment still cant decide which ATOto get for it your ATO is on my shortlist

Mapesyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 10:03 AM   #4
potusreef
Registered Member

Hello,

I am looking at the Red Sea Max E-170. I have a couple of questions about the Hydra 26 light that comes with the tank. Maybe you can answer them.

Is the mounting arm the stock mounting arm, or is the arm special for the Red Sea E-170? I am curious if this is the same arm: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hms-s...umination.html

I am also curious if the mounting arm just brackets to the tank wall, or if there is some sort of bolting system that actually screws the light fixture to the tank.

The reason for my questions is I would potentially like to mount a second Hydra 26 over the tank and would like the mounts to match and be able to be spaced equidistant over the tank.

potusreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/20/2017, 02:22 PM   #5
MCormier
Registered Member

Looking into this system myself. How would you rate the noise level of the system? Pumps and skimmer. Thanks!

MCormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2017, 11:49 PM   #6
JUNBUG361
Registered Member

Looks good, looks like you’ll need more live rocks and circulation pump for extra movement

JUNBUG361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 10:16 PM   #7
Strykur
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potusreef View Post
Hello,

I am looking at the Red Sea Max E-170. I have a couple of questions about the Hydra 26 light that comes with the tank. Maybe you can answer them.

Is the mounting arm the stock mounting arm, or is the arm special for the Red Sea E-170? I am curious if this is the same arm: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/hms-s...umination.html

I am also curious if the mounting arm just brackets to the tank wall, or if there is some sort of bolting system that actually screws the light fixture to the tank.

The reason for my questions is I would potentially like to mount a second Hydra 26 over the tank and would like the mounts to match and be able to be spaced equidistant over the tank.
We just received our Max E 170 today, and I can confirm that the mounting arm is not the arm in the link you provided. The one that does come with the tank is super easy to install with pre-drilled holes and bolts, very secure, rotates upward for easy maintenance to the rear sump, and includes some thoughtful cord routing.

Strykur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 05:38 PM   #8
clk51212
Registered Member

i just set up a reefer 350 this weekend. very well thought out system had bought the hydra26 for s sc setup but the first and second tank arrived cracked.

clk51212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 05:41 PM   #9
clk51212
Registered Member

I have the hms arms and they clamp to the tank. be very carful the screws strip out very easy

clk51212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 07:44 PM   #10
Blek3790
Registered Member

Everything I've seen says the Red Sea stands are like MDF but "better" like IKEA? So are the stands a "not the best" not the worst kind of option? Ive been into nano's for some time and now that I am in my (forever for now home) it's time to get into a bigger display... I'm leaning towards the Red Sea 350 but just so hard to pull the trigger as I want to be 110% sure! And even though the tank and dump eliminate a lot of the other guess work there's still so many variables in our hobby I almost look at the if it ain't broke don't try to fix it side of the hobby

Blek3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 07:46 PM   #11
Blek3790
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blek3790 View Post
Everything I've seen says the Red Sea stands are like MDF but "better" like IKEA? So are the stands a "not the best" not the worst kind of option? Ive been into nano's for some time and now that I am in my (forever for now home) it's time to get into a bigger display... I'm leaning towards the Red Sea 350 but just so hard to pull the trigger as I want to be 110% sure! And even though the tank and dump/stand eliminate a lot of the other guess work there's still so many variables in our hobby I almost look at the if it ain't broke don't try to fix it side of the hobby

Blek3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 04:22 PM   #12
Strykur
Registered Member

Happy with the stand. It may be mdf of some kind at its core, but it’s incredibly sturdy and the finish is very nice. Smooth operation, nice hinges. Has small “feet” that you can’t really see and has a really modern and streamlined and it’s easy to clean.

Strykur is offline   Reply With Quote