Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/04/2007, 04:04 PM   #1
jimrawr
Registered Member

Is it bad if the skimmer is sucking air because of low water levels?

I just installed a Remora Surface Skimmer, and I am worried that I might miss it one day that the water level is a bit low.. then go out somewhere for a few hours and the skimmer start sucking air.

Would this be a bad scenario or can the skimmer go for some hours without water and not be damaged??

jimrawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

It just won't skim during that time.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2007, 04:36 PM   #3
jimrawr
Registered Member

The skimmer wont have any problems later on though? or maybe the powerhead? Its safe for them to be sucking air?

Unread 02/04/2007, 05:39 PM   #4
danch
Registered Member

The powerhead might have issues sucking air. It might disrupt cooling, and the cavitation might be hard on the impeller.

Current Tank Info: 29G FW, 75G LPSing
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2007, 06:47 PM   #5
jimrawr
Registered Member

So what should I do to try to avoid this? I dont really want to spend more money on a auto top off I am here enough to be able to do daily top offs if needed, I just figure at some point I will not notice it low and it will run dry while I am not home

Unread 02/04/2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Joshua1023
Registered Member

I don't know how handy you are, but if you wanted to you could easily make an ATO for under $20. A rubbermaid container, some 1/4" tubing, and a float valve and your in business. It also comes in handy to keep the salinity constant instead of raising from evaporation and then plummeting when you have to throw 2 gls of water in to top off. Just a thought.

Current Tank Info: 90 gl tank,Coralife 14K MH lights,2 Current dual daylight/actinic 40 watt fixtures, tidepool sump,Coralife SS 220 protein skimmer,six inch sand bed w/ plenum, Current Prime Tower 1/3 hp Chiller,RedSea ozonizer w/ orp
Joshua1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2007, 07:06 PM   #7
jimrawr
Registered Member

Actually I just remembered what someone else said they did.

On the back of the Surface Skimmer, they drilled a couple holes so if water wasnt entering through the top, it would go in from there.

The thing is, is this thing drillable? Its acrylic I believe..

Unread 02/04/2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Joshua1023
Registered Member

That would be O.K. if your not running a sump.

Current Tank Info: 90 gl tank,Coralife 14K MH lights,2 Current dual daylight/actinic 40 watt fixtures, tidepool sump,Coralife SS 220 protein skimmer,six inch sand bed w/ plenum, Current Prime Tower 1/3 hp Chiller,RedSea ozonizer w/ orp
Unread 02/04/2007, 08:11 PM   #9
jimrawr
Registered Member

no sump

Unread 02/04/2007, 08:15 PM   #10
Joshua1023
Registered Member

Just keep one thing in mind before you get the drill out. They gave you a surface skimmer for a reason. The proteins that your skimmer pulls out naturally float to the surface. The skimmer is designed to get this skum off of the top making the skimmer more efficient at what it does. If you drill those holes you will probrably lose some skimmate production.

Unread 02/04/2007, 08:17 PM   #11
jimrawr
Registered Member

Yeah I thought about that, but if I just drill a couple small holes I dont really think much water will be traveling through them. I would say atleast 80% of water would still be coming over the top of the unit. They will just keep the system running if water level drops

Unread 02/04/2007, 08:37 PM   #12
Joshua1023
Registered Member

good deal

Unread 02/05/2007, 12:02 AM   #13
mnestroy
Registered Member

Yah the holes should do the trick, I've come home from work many times to hear my Mag3 grinding away due to lack of water. But even after several times it didn't appear to damage anything.

I'd imagine not having it completely submerged is not ideal, but oh well, life goes on.

I kinda solved that problem by making a sump, I put my Remora Pro in the first chamber of my sump so the nice thing is the water level never drops in that compartment...

Now the only problem is my return pump is the one that sometimes runs dry (yah I been wanting to do an auto top off)

mnestroy is offline   Reply With Quote