Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/15/2010, 08:13 AM   #1
fns
Registered Member

Frustrated with dyndns and port forwarding. need help.

Well, I'm somewhat computer savvy, but this is killing me! I have an apex, and I am accessing it on a mac. Well, heres the problem, I cant access it remotely. I have gone in my linksys e1000 router opened up my portvia single port routing, went to dyndns signed up for my account, and used my 192.168.1.1 for my router, instlled the monitoring software, turned dhcp off in my apex, added my dyndns account in my router, and still nothing. I'm starting to lose faith in this thing. I really hope i can get this thing going.

thanks in advance!

fns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2010, 08:50 AM   #2
kenargo
Premium Member

1st need to get DynDns correct then things should fall into place...

Have you verified that dyndns is reporting the correct address (the public address of your router); it should NOT be anything starting with '192.168'?

By monitoring software; I assume you mean one of the various phone apps?

Have you looked at the unofficial guide and/or my website; both have loads of information and screen of router's configured and working?

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
kenargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2010, 09:05 AM   #3
fns
Registered Member

yup. ive read that guide like 10 times, wonderful job on that! I now have my router # in which starts with 68.somethingsomethingsomething. ive tried multiple ones in there, but it seems that i get the same results. I can't access it via my iphone, nor can people who I have sent my dyndns link with my port # to.

Unread 10/15/2010, 09:22 AM   #4
kenargo
Premium Member

If DynDns is reporting 68.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx then it sounds correct so you can check off dyndns. Next, modem/router. What other equipment is in the mix? Do you have a modem and router?

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
Unread 10/15/2010, 09:25 AM   #5
HeneryH
Henery Hawk

You can also try the http://www.whatismyip.com/ tool to confirm that what shows up in the DynDNS status is correct.

This should be the same as what is showing as you WAN address in your router status page.

HeneryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2010, 09:26 AM   #6
fns
Registered Member

Ive got an e1000 wireless router, but have my apex connected via ethernet. My modem is connected to my router as well. My e1000 has my iMac connected to via ethernet as well, and I have 2 other mac laptops connected via wireless. was this the info you were looking for?i hope so ha!

Unread 10/15/2010, 09:43 AM   #7
kenargo
Premium Member

Yes, so I'm wondering (expecting) that your modem is in fact a router as well; do you know if the modem can be configured?

What I am thinking is that you have a double-NAT problem and if I am correct the modem is a router and you need to either disable the router components in the mode (by assigning the DMZ to point to your router) of by setting port forward in the modem (to the router) and then from the router to your Apex.

Unread 10/15/2010, 09:49 AM   #8
fns
Registered Member

my modem cant be a router, its old :\ I jus tbought this router yesterday because my other one wasnt accessible from my 192.168.1.1, so I couldnt modify it whatsoever. is there another way around this? Are linksys e1000 not compatible for this sort of application?

Unread 10/15/2010, 10:38 AM   #9
RussM
Registered Member

Enjoy your new-found access, Mike!

RussM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2010, 10:44 AM   #10
fns
Registered Member

FANTASTIC! talk to RussM if you have these sorts of problems! I got it working correctly. Thank you so much, you're a life saver!

Unread 10/17/2010, 06:39 PM   #11
elFloyd
Registered Member

Russ be the man!

elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote