Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/12/2020, 02:08 AM   #1
Zionas
Registered Member

What is your opinion of the Yellow Pyramid Butterfly?

I am thinking of getting a trio for my 6’ 180, was originally keen on some Heniochus but turns out my LFS only has the non-reef safe H. Acuminatus with H. Diphreutes nowhere to be found.

From what I’ve read it’s generally agreed that the Yellow Pyramid / Zosters are the most reef safe butterflies, the butterfly equivalent of Genicanthus angels.

1. Would you say they’re easier or harder to maintain than Genicanthus angelfish?

2. What do you think of their hardiness overall?

3. Are they picky eaters?

4. Are they particularly susceptible to any diseases, infections, or other maladies?

5. Since they’re peaceful fish, can they be added early on to a new tank?

6. Any other special care requirements / remarks? Are they generally hard to find? If so at what sizes do they usually come in?

Thanks.

Zionas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2020, 12:51 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I think they are a perfect choice.
Just make sure they are regularly fed so the don’t nip a your softies should you have any.
Singles, pairs and groups of these can be kept

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2020, 12:56 PM   #3
MarAquatic
Registered Member

One ate my hammer over night

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MarAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2020, 02:53 AM   #4
Zionas
Registered Member

Would love to hear more experiences. Found a very discouraging video on YouTube where guy ordered a total of 4, 2 from LA and 2 from Blue Zoo and 1/4 made it. Maybe he just got a bad batch? In the video he was battling flukes and open sores on the fish.

Unread 07/13/2020, 10:06 AM   #5
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

They tend to injure their mouths easily during shipment. Have antibiotics on hand if you have to treat. The ones that don't make it get mouth rot. Try to get small ones as they grow pretty fast. They eat everything. I have been told they eat xenia (I don't have xenia) but mine do eat nori. Great fish. Very hardy once established. I would get three for your tank.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/13/2020, 10:34 AM   #6
Zionas
Registered Member

That’s great to hear. So aren’t mouth injuries really the only problems with them? Are they also prone to various internal and external parasites?

Getting three is exactly my plan.

Unread 07/13/2020, 12:07 PM   #7
BeanMachine
Registered Member

I have one. I started with two but there was aggression between them and one didn't make it. The person I bought the pair from had them for at least a year, so maybe the change in scenery resulted in the aggressions. I haven't noticed any picking at corals at all. Eats everything I add.

Unread 07/13/2020, 12:10 PM   #8
Zionas
Registered Member

Good to know that they’re not fussy eaters. Can they be added early? I’m mainly asking because many people say don’t add angels or butterflies before the 6-month mark due to lack of stable water parameters.

Unread 07/13/2020, 02:09 PM   #9
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

I would always treat for internal parasites with prazi or such. I believe all butterflies can come in with parasites. Get it feeding first, then treat.

Unread 07/13/2020, 09:49 PM   #10
Myles
Registered Member

I have a group of 3 in my 180g. Most of the time they get along but they do have their squabbles which are frightening to observe but no damage. But like I said this are from time to time and not constant.
They eat like pigs so you will need to feed them substantially. In the wild they are in enormous shoals in high current areas and are feeding from the water column all day. Mine do pick at corals both hard and soft but do not appear to do any damage although I did initially lose more than a few zoanthids which are now making a comeback after I fattened the butherflies up.
I have a pretty peaceful tank and they bother nobody and nobody bothers them. I was able to add a wheelers goby, small yellow tang, and rabbit fish after them without issue.
Never had a disease issue with them and they seem hardy-so far I've had them 3 1/2 years.
The main drawback is their large appetites but otherwise I really love them.
Myles

Unread 07/15/2020, 08:41 AM   #11
Zionas
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies. Now I’m thinking of getting 4 to have 2 pairs lol. Would that be too many for a 180?

Unread 07/15/2020, 04:13 PM   #12
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

That could be a plan. I would stick with three, but if you get four and one does not make you, then you have three! If all make it you will have a crazy busy tank.

Unread 07/15/2020, 09:17 PM   #13
Zionas
Registered Member

xD Yeah the decision to get 4 is mainly because I’m considering ditching the Azure Damsel trio I was considering. Just worried about Damsels being aggressive and harassing other fish even though they’re Azures.

So I thought if one Azure Damsel gets up to 2.5”, I would combine three into a 4th Pyramid Butterfly. Plus maybe if I get 4 to make 2 pairs there won’t be a single fish that’s picked on?

Unread 07/17/2020, 11:45 AM   #14
Zionas
Registered Member

So it looks like I’ll be getting a trio after all. xD Don’t want them to take up that much space. This is unrelated but now for my 4th and final Large fish I would like to know whether a One Spot Foxface or a Yellow Tang would better. I’ll be choosing out of the two.

Which one is generally hardier, more peaceful, and less prone to problems?