Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2008, 09:26 AM   #51
alpine
Registered Member

Guys for this application the bondo brand will work fine.Not talking bad about anybody,but a lot of people on here dont know there left from right when it comes to epoxy resins.

I dont know if you guys know who Tgreene here on RC is,but he has a large coral prop system.His prop tank is 8' X 4' X 12".Its made of plywood, and he used a combo of bondo brand epoxy and baer garage floor epoxy to seal his tank ,with no ill side effects.Not to mention he saved a good amount of cash by not buying the expensive stuff.

The only member on this site that I have seen that his project deemed the use of the more expensive epoxy resin is Fudge,and thats because he built a large fiberglass skimmer.

We are the Reef Central....It is useless to resist. We will assimilate you into our collective. Resistance is futile.
alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2008, 09:38 AM   #52
Joshua76
Registered Member

I just used some bondo 2 part fiberglass resin on a piece I'm working on right now and none of the foam has broken down. I was instructed to let it cure for a couple weeks even though the can says it cures in 2 hours. by the potent smell a day after I used the resin I can tell you that 2 weeks seems more accurate. Work in a very well ventilated area, if you can't work out doors.

Joshua

"The pen is mightier than the sword,...if you shoot that pen out of a gun." Stephen Colbert

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef tank w/ T5 lighting
Joshua76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2008, 09:38 AM   #53
Vinnie71975
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NightBreed1369
Thats what Ive been looking at as well. For the price and amount it would be well worth it. Says its water proof and with coating it with sand and crushed coral theres really not much that will be "open" to water. Im really thinking about giving it a shot on one of my smaller pieces for my 65g and letting it set for a while in water just to see if any adverse effects happen before adding it to my tank.
I do know that it is "Inert When Dry" or at least that is what the box claims lol

Freedom Must occasionally be renewed with the blood of patriots-General Patton

Current Tank Info: 55g reef to be(buying stuff now), 20g high Goldfish, 20g High FW Semi Aggressive, 35g hex Community tank, 10g SW Fowlr
Vinnie71975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2008, 09:42 AM   #54
Vinnie71975
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshua76
I just used some bondo 2 part fiberglass resin on a piece I'm working on right now and none of the foam has broken down. I was instructed to let it cure for a couple weeks even though the can says it cures in 2 hours. by the potent smell a day after I used the resin I can tell you that 2 weeks seems more accurate. Work in a very well ventilated area, if you can't work out doors.

Joshua
SWEET thats what i was worrying about was if it would break down the Great stuff! Only prob i am having is that the Egg crate cost a BIT more than i though it would 11.00 for a 2ftx4ft sheet which is no biggie but i need prolly 3 sheets PLUS 35 more lbs of rock PLUS my PVC pieces Man this 55g tank is beginning to be costly lol

Current Tank Info: 55g reef to be(buying stuff now), 20g high Goldfish, 20g High FW Semi Aggressive, 35g hex Community tank, 10g SW Fowlr
Unread 01/24/2008, 10:18 AM   #55
Joshua76
Registered Member

I would also recommend that you have plenty of sand to put on it I used pavestone brand pulverized limestone and it has a light gray tone to it so I think when it's all said and done it will look great. I tried brushing it on the 1st time and the sand didn't really cover it very well, so I've gone to just pouring the sand on the resin while it's tacky.

regards....Joshua

"The pen is mightier than the sword,...if you shoot that pen out of a gun." Stephen Colbert

Unread 01/24/2008, 10:25 AM   #56
Vinnie71975
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joshua76
I would also recommend that you have plenty of sand to put on it I used pavestone brand pulverized limestone and it has a light gray tone to it so I think when it's all said and done it will look great. I tried brushing it on the 1st time and the sand didn't really cover it very well, so I've gone to just pouring the sand on the resin while it's tacky.

regards....Joshua
I think what i will do is put a good coat of Resin on it when it gets tacky pour the sand over it and leave it sit for 3 or 4 hrs then dump of the excess, ill be using carbisea aragonite i Like the look of it Also im putting Pieces of live rock rubble in the great stuff for a more natural look

Unread 01/24/2008, 12:54 PM   #57
Tunjee
Registered Member

Lowes carries some fiberglass repair resin. It comes with a little vial of hardner you dump in and stir. Will it attack the foam?

Current Tank Info: 20gallon reef external glass overflow, diy light 175w 20k XM MH, 65w Actinic PC, 65w 10k PC, LED moonlight, OceansMotion, Velocity T-2 650gph, Euro-reef ES-52,RO/DI auto top off, pinpoint PH meter, diy acrylic sump, titanium pro II heater....
Tunjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2008, 01:02 PM   #58
Joshua76
Registered Member

I don't know if the stuff you bought will, I just know as a fact that the bondo won't. but hey you could always get a little tester piece of foam and try it. Back to subject at hand.....Kannin, your rock work and design looks amazing, kudos.

Joshua

Unread 01/24/2008, 01:58 PM   #59
alpine
Registered Member

Sorry to get so off topic Kannin,just trying to let the guys looking to do this know what they can use and what not.

For those of you useing epoxy resin for the first time,this stuff smells really bad and is very dangerous if not used in a well ventilated area.Total cure time should not take more then 48hrs.You could use it after 24hrs,but I would wait an extra day to be safe.

Hey Kannin any new updates on your project.

We are the Reef Central....It is useless to resist. We will assimilate you into our collective. Resistance is futile.

Last edited by alpine; 01/24/2008 at 02:05 PM.
alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2008, 04:10 PM   #60
Kannin
Registered Member

Vinnie... I used 4 sheets of egg crate for my entire 6 ft x 2.5 ft x 2 ft project... If you are using 3 sheets for a 55 gallon... you must be covering all six sides.

Everyone else... I used $13 worth of finishing resin... it was easy to work with... cured relatively quickly and as you can see by some of my pics, I applied it in my dining room... meaning, it didn't hardly smell at all.

Unread 01/24/2008, 06:18 PM   #61
NightBreed1369
Registered Member

Kannin I noticed you used alot of the foam ... have you checked if its going to float ? just wondering cause I really like the looks of your set up

Current Tank Info: 90g Reef 65g aggressive 2.5g Nano
NightBreed1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2008, 06:41 PM   #62
Kannin
Registered Member

I'm not too worried about it floating. It weighs close to 150 lbs and it is firmly wedged in under the eurobracing in the back and up against the bottom of the front panel. There is a top down pic on page 2 that illustrates the front panel brace.

Unread 01/25/2008, 04:45 AM   #63
Vinnie71975
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kannin
Vinnie... I used 4 sheets of egg crate for my entire 6 ft x 2.5 ft x 2 ft project... If you are using 3 sheets for a 55 gallon... you must be covering all six sides.

Everyone else... I used $13 worth of finishing resin... it was easy to work with... cured relatively quickly and as you can see by some of my pics, I applied it in my dining room... meaning, it didn't hardly smell at all.
the sheets i can get are 2ft tall 4 ft long i plan on doing a shelf/slope/shelf/slope type set up using Drain size pvc elbows for swim through caves.

Unread 01/25/2008, 08:52 AM   #64
Joshua76
Registered Member

Kannin, what brand and where did you get the finishing resin?I have a 6 month old boy and I have to apply the bondo outside in below freezing weather due to the smell.

Thanks....Joshua

Unread 01/25/2008, 01:37 PM   #65
Kannin
Registered Member

I you don't need it by tomorrow... I would get this...
http://zap.supergluecorp.com/pt40.html

I will post my brand tonight when I get home.

Unread 01/25/2008, 02:57 PM   #66
Vinnie71975
Registered Member

Just a Note for everyone dont use the Big Gap Filler unless your doing a large area!!! lol i did a small piece today just to experiment and get the feel for it and im gonna have to trim down sooooooooo much just so it dont float lol!

Unread 01/25/2008, 03:30 PM   #67
Kannin
Registered Member

You gotts use the red can.

Unread 01/25/2008, 06:00 PM   #68
Vinnie71975
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kannin
You gotts use the red can.
Ya i used the Black can lol

Unread 01/26/2008, 02:15 AM   #69
Kannin
Registered Member

I used "20 MIN FINISH - CURE Epoxy". Distributed by Bob Smith Industries in Atasadero, CA. I bought it a model train store. It came in two 7 oz bottles. Easy to use with little or no smell and I think it was around 13 bucks.

Unread 01/26/2008, 02:19 AM   #70
Kannin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Vinnie71975
Ya i used the Black can lol
Yeah... the black can expands too much and the blue can dries too soft and spongee.

By the way all... I started with 4 cans from THD and I ran out so I ran to Lowes and got two more... The cans I bought at THD were probably 25% bigger than the cans I bought at Lowes for the same price. I didn't realize that they were smaller until I got home.

Unread 01/26/2008, 08:07 AM   #71
Joshua76
Registered Member

great I'll look into getting that for sure.

Thanks...joshua

Unread 01/26/2008, 09:28 AM   #72
elvictre
Registered Member

That looks totally awesome. Has anyone every done this on a tank that is up and running? I don't have any coral yet but I do have fish. I could make it in pieces and insert it piece by piece. I could never get my aquascape to look good and I still need to add more LR, so if I went with something like this I could move all my rockwork forward in the tank and have more of a natural looking reef.

elvictre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2008, 06:05 PM   #73
Kannin
Registered Member

I would want to circulate water for a few days to make sure. You can't move your live stock for a few days?

Unread 01/26/2008, 08:29 PM   #74
elvictre
Registered Member

I could put the fish in either the fuge or my water change tank. But when you say circulate the water, you pretty much mean the same water in the tank and check levels, correct? If I isolate the tank from my fuge and water change tank I can't do any water changes. Also has I wouldn't mind doing it wauth 90% rocks and 10% foam to hold, it down. I love to look. I think you tank looks awesome.

elvictre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2008, 08:33 PM   #75
Kannin
Registered Member

Yeah... that's what i mean. Even if my rocks were completely cured... I think I would still want to filter the cater with all of the glue and foam and run some carbon just in case.

I put my water in today and I am going to run a bunch of carbon and skim for a good couple of weeks before I even start to test the water.