Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/29/2014, 07:58 AM   #1
kniquy
Registered Member

need some help and motivation

I am admitting that i have been neglecting my tank --- not that i have wanted to but with twin 8 yo boys and a 16 month old girl, working full time -- needless to say my life has been pretty hectic. I am determined to get back on track but i feel like there is so much that the tank needs, I almost don't know where to start. I have a few zoos that are doing ok considering that I have not done a water change in 3 months. I have a green hair algae problem (no big surprise). I have 2 clowns that seem to be happy as can be.

I need to get on some sort of regimen for doing the basic maintenance --

My issues is getting on track for water changes
I need new bulbs.
I want to change my biowheel to a 20g long sump
I need to fix my skimmer as it doesn't pull much from the water.
Where to start (I know water changes is probably the top answer) I'm just so overwhelmed i was seriously considering getting rid of the tank - but seeing that i have not been without some sort of aquarium since i have been 15 (about 23 years) I could't imagine just giving up that easily.

I have 25gal of saltwater that i surprisingly found time to make this weekend. I plan on changing it this evening. (the tank is 75 gal)

I guess what i am looking for is to find the basics of maintenance -- those of you who have busy lives how and when do you find time for your tank and what do you make sure you do every week? I want to get it under control before i consider adding any new livestock or coral.

Sorry for the rant -- I just am sick of looking at my algae pool and i am not ready to give up!!!

kniquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 08:10 AM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

Raising a family and keeping a reef tank can certainly be a challenge. I was in a very similar position as you and I ended up giving up my saltwater tank. I took what ended up being a 15 year break, much longer than I had planned, but in the end for me and our family it was the right decision. I don't think you ever get saltwater out of your system and you can always start up the tank again when your family life permits. I do think keeping a tank can be a very good learning tool for your children; consider keeping a smaller freshwater tank which requires a lot less maintenance.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Wryknow
Registered Member

It sounds like you need some more automation with the water changes. Bulk Reef Supply has some great you tube videos on how you can hook up your RO/DI to your plumbing and automate a lot of the process. I always found that making RO/DI was a major hastle when it meant hooking things up to the sink and keeping an eye on the bucket for 10 hours while it filled up. For my new tank I now have the RO/DI plumbed to auto fill two 32 gallon BRUTE containers, one for top-off and one for water changes. I just have to add salt to the bucket and everything is ready the next day in case I need to do a water change. It was suprisingly easy.

Current Tank Info: 65 G RR, w/ 50 G sump/refugium, DIY LED lighting, AquaMaxx CO-1 skimmer, Tunze 1073.050 return
Wryknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Wryknow
Registered Member

Oh, and if you want motivation get your 8 year olds involved. Tell them everything that you want to do for tank maintenance, think of ways that they can help with each task and give them a reward if everything gets done. My 7 year old is currently motivated by Poke-mon cards and isn't at all afraid of letting me know what I should be doing

Current Tank Info: 65 G RR, w/ 50 G sump/refugium, DIY LED lighting, AquaMaxx CO-1 skimmer, Tunze 1073.050 return
Wryknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Scott07
Registered Member

As a disclaimer... I don't have kids... so take that for what it's worth right there lol. However, my advice would be to try and see the up sides instead of the down. So you may have some GHA, and need new bulbs... but you're keeping two happy clowns, and some zoas right? That's something to be proud of right there. I think getting back into doing weekly (or whatever schedule idelogoly you fall into) waterchanges is the place to get started... and do the most good for your tank. The rest of it; playing with your skimmer, changing bulbs, etc... you can look at as little projects to do in your spare time and look forward to... instead of dreading 'having' to do. It's probably better for stability sake that you only make changes slowly anyway.

If you're still having trouble finding the time to put towards the tank though... it may be best to switch over to fresh, as suggested above. It should be enjoyable as much as possible... and feel like work as little as possible. I'm sure you're well aware of all of this... just trying to give some emotional support... I think most ppl in this hobby have probably felt like you are now from time to time. Hang in there!!

Unread 09/29/2014, 10:05 AM   #6
kniquy
Registered Member

I will definitely check out the BRS videos -- Wryknow -- you are right automation will make my life much easier. I do have the boys do what they are able to do -- we call it "Water Patrol" when they have to fill up the gallon milk jugs to leave on the cellar stairs or to top off the sump. They rather enjoy it and i should make the maintenance of it more of a family event.

Thanks for the tips!!

Unread 09/29/2014, 12:42 PM   #7
Shawn O
Registered Member

Water change, scrape tank's glass and fix the skimmer would be a good start.
Replace bulbs the next time you're someplace that carries them.

Shawn O is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Kaman8
Registered Member

I had the same situation like you. I couldn't take care of the tank when I gave birth and haven't change water in 6 months or maybe more. All my corals died and only left with a few fishes. Now my boy is 7 and I have more time for my tank now

Gratiana
Kaman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2014, 03:43 PM   #9
Fallling
Registered Member

As already mentioned, I'd look into a way to automate water changes since that seems to be the biggest thing for you. Having a large storage for water (like a 55 gallon drum) can help make regular water changes a little easier since it's one less step in the process... water could be made every 4 - 6 weeks instead of before every water change. It'll automatically be ready for the next water change.

Once you get water changes back in line, look at getting the HA under control. With just the 2 clowns, you could do skimmerless, if you stay on those water changes, and then take a look at the skimmer if you decide to add more livestock. When the tank starts looking good again, you'll likely find some of the passion and inspiration has come back, and you'll be more motivated to stay on top of things.

Current Tank Info: 40"L x 24"W x 30"H 125 gallon mixed reef | 40 gallon sump | Pacific Sun Pandora S T5 / LED | RLSS R8-I protein skimmer
Fallling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2014, 08:09 AM   #10
kniquy
Registered Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I just needed to vent and hopefully get myself back on track. One thing that i saw when i went to the fish store this weekend that was so simple but such a great idea for me was to use a dry erase and write on the side of the tank the date i last did a water change.

I always forget when i last did it. I put reminders in my cell phone, but usually ignore them. So this way the date will be right in front of me so i can't for get. It would probably scare most of you to know how long it has been since a water change -- God if I even know.

I have had a log to write down all the tests when i do them but even that isn't great because i don't look at the book all that often. I am thinking i will use the glass where my overflow is to document the water changes and last test results.

Unread 09/30/2014, 09:24 AM   #11
Aerixx
Registered Member

Busy is probably the main reason I prefer a nano, I have a bunch of 5 gal buckets, I mix the sand and store about 10 buckets in my garage, so when its Time for a water change I can just throw a heater in and its ready in an hour.

Aerixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2014, 09:24 AM   #12
Aerixx
Registered Member

Also my girls are 11 and 9 they gladly do water changes for a couple bucks lol

Unread 09/30/2014, 09:30 AM   #13
kniquy
Registered Member

Yes -- money will get kids to do anything!!

I have thought about a nano, but seeing i have all the equipment for my 75 I have just stuck with it.

Unread 09/30/2014, 10:38 AM   #14
Aerixx
Registered Member

Another thing i do, is try to get up early and get things done in the morning, seems for me i do better that way, rather than after work

Unread 09/30/2014, 10:41 AM   #15
kniquy
Registered Member

Good call - Aerixx - The morning is the only time that i have the time and more importantly the energy to get stuff done around the house.