Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/06/2009, 02:59 PM   #1
RockinSmall
Keepin it Spicey

Frequency of Feeding a Frogfish???

In a few days i wil have a 2 inch colored Angler/Frogfish. I'd like to know how often it should be fed. it will likely recieve frozen krill but if it will only take live, then some cheap shrimp.

RockinSmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2009, 07:22 PM   #2
zemuron114
Moved On

whenever they are hungry try to get a bunch of live shrimps or fish and just leave them in with the angler. They will eat when they are hungry.

zemuron114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2009, 09:59 AM   #3
jmasterdiver
Registered Member

I shoot for at least twice a week with mine, and I feed about every third day. I feed until they are showing a slight bulge in the belly. With my largest frogfish, this requires four large silversides, and with my smallest frogfish, this requires one small silverside. While you should be prepared with live foods, it has been my experience that all but the choosiest of frogfish will take frozen, especially if they are hungry. Were I you, I would not offer any live until attempts at feeding frozen have failed twice. I would try it, and if your fish doesn't take it, wait two days and try again. If it still fails, then you can add live. When/if you offer live, try to do it with a net or tongs. Once you have them eating from the net or tongs, try switching to frozen, and I bet you can trick them into taking it. All of my frogfish get excited when they see feeding utensils. It won't take yours long to learn the drill.

jmasterdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2009, 10:03 AM   #4
jmasterdiver
Registered Member

Also, while three of my four frogfish will eat anything, I have one that will not take krill (or anything but silversides, an A. coccineus). I highly recommend that you offer a varied diet of frozen foods. At 2", cut the head off a silverside behind the gill plate and you got yourself a meal that hardly any frogfish can resist.

Unread 04/22/2009, 11:02 AM   #5
RockinSmall
Keepin it Spicey

so far ive been feeding ghost shrimp.. is that fine?

Current Tank Info: 150 Gallon Reef- sps and favia dominant
Unread 04/22/2009, 11:18 AM   #6
jmasterdiver
Registered Member

Ghost shrimp are fine, but after maintaining a frogfish on live foods for a period of time, I prefer to have them on a frozen diet. Either frozen or live, the diet should be varied. IMO, some considerations for maintaining a diet of live food are the long term expense, the potential for the source to dry up leaving you without food for your fish (even temporarily), and the potential for introducing pathogens. I maintained a frogfish on live foods exclusively for several months (the aforementioned A. coccineus, with me for 19 months now). I had several sources for live food, both locally and mail order, and was let down on more than one occassion. I established a breeding population of peppermint shrimp, which met with mild success, and then got too busy, and finally converted exclusively to frozen. I can't help but recommend you save yourself the trouble and go with a frozen diet if you can. Now if your fish won't take it, it's a different story (but that is pretty rare IME).

Whatever you feed, I still recommend using a net or tongs so that you can target feed your fish and ensure that he is getting his meals. While it is sometimes fun to watch the hunt of live food, and I do give live treats occasionally, it is also fun to get to interact with your fish yourself. People love to come to my house and watch the frogfish get fed. Two of mine always put on a good show, with lures and everything. People look at my seahorses and say, "oh, that's nice," and walk away. They stand at the frogfish tanks and ask lots of questions, not the least of which is, "why would you want a pet that ugly?"

Unread 04/22/2009, 12:08 PM   #7
RockinSmall
Keepin it Spicey

ive had my two frogfish for a few weeks now and everyone asks why i have such ugly fish... i asked my one friend why she kept such an ugly daughter... good thing she knew i was kidding!

my sargassum goes nuts for the ghost shrimp and the other one hides the entire time so i dont know if its eating... i will get a tong next week and try them on frozen!

Unread 04/22/2009, 05:53 PM   #8
reefscape15
Registered Member

I only feed about every 10 days. Been doing fine for over a year on Frozen Krill, Ghost Shrimp, and small chunks of Frozen Clam. I try to rotate his feeding every once in a while just to give him a little excitement

JIM

Current Tank Info: 5g standard softie/zoa tank, just starting a 20H
reefscape15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/22/2009, 10:10 PM   #9
LisaD
That's not a salmon

I'd feed smaller ones (juvs) more often, at least 2-3 times a week. I would not feed until it's not hungry, they will eat themselves to death.

Adult size fish can be fed less often, IMO.

I had one that ate only live ghost shrimp and guppies for a long time. When I was able to finally get it to take frozen foods, including pieces of Ocean Nutrition frozen gel cubes, it became much more colorful and grew much faster.

Current Tank Info: tankless at the moment
LisaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 01:32 PM   #10
RockinSmall
Keepin it Spicey

great. thanks for all the help folks.... i have better idea how to care for my two little ones!

Unread 03/04/2021, 05:00 PM   #11
triscene
Registered Member

Hello guys, any tips or feeding hints with feeding with silversides? My frogfish is kind of picky, he ate 2x a week but when i do some rearrangementa in his environment he takes a break even for two weeks.

Odoslané z ANE-LX1 pomocou Tapatalku

triscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2021, 04:34 PM   #12
triscene
Registered Member

More than 2 weeks without success with feeding but luckily i fake him a bit. As he was seeing me with fish held by tweezers which usually he had no issues with, i tried to feed him when lights went off. Got lights on my phone to see him a bit and he snapped the frozen fish after few seconds. I was worried, his tummy really shrinked but apetite is back. So hoping for another success in next days to fill him well

Odoslané z ANE-LX1 pomocou Tapatalku

triscene is offline   Reply With Quote