Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/19/2015, 11:41 AM   #2501
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

I think most aquariums will run roughly 3-5 degrees F warmer than room temp (if no cooling source ie chiller, fans, etc are not used) when room temp is in the 70's. I really don't see why you're surprised and bashing Jeff. I shouldn't have to say this, but his recommendations are based on several success stories.

Unread 11/19/2015, 11:58 AM   #2502
jerseypete
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorAlum05 View Post
alright pictures didn't load up properly. disagree completely. without fans and room temperature at 79, I see swings up to 83-84. adding fans, I got down to 80.6-81.

dropping my office temperature down to 77, I see it maintaining 79-80.

You have return pump, lights, power heads etc. Your 4-5 degrees over room temp. What did you expect. Who keeps their temp at 79? Also when the heat in the office kicks on and off you have fluctuations in temp. Then you going to blame the guy who sold you a standard off the shelf pump. Call your heating and air conditioning guy and tell him his unit is making your tank too warm.

Last edited by Dino; 04/06/2018 at 05:21 AM.
jerseypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 01:30 PM   #2503
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseypete View Post
You have return pump, lights, power heads etc. Your 4-5 degrees over room temp. What did you expect. Who keeps their temp at 79? Also when the heat in the office kicks on and off you have fluctuations in temp. Then you going to blame the guy who sold you a standard off the shelf pump. Call your heating and air conditioning guy and tell him his unit is making your tank too warm.
I run radions on a 55g display. Pumps are vortechs. Highly doubt those two are heating up my tank. I have two tanks with two lifereef system for comparison(both run with radions and vortechs) so I'm not talking out of my butt. The SVS30 with sp4 and sicce 5.0 return is flawless in temperature even though I set my house temperature at 78 degrees day and night. This office system with both recommend pumps by jeff is crap at best.

FYI only at night when I keep it at 79 via AC and NO HEAT, when temperature outside already drops down to low 70s/ high 60s, thus it's actually COOLER than 79 degrees. Figure this is common sense for people since it is November already and not blistering 90s outside during summer time. And if you look at chart, rarely does it dip below 80 even when the AC is blasting during the day time.

obviously when I'm in the office, my AC is set at 75 degrees during the day time..... it's november. you can see the date on apex. I highly recommend lifereef products and have the entire setup, but jeff's recommendations of pumps is dumb. It happened with the mag9.5 with heat and performance but i let it pass figuring an external pump wouldn't heaten things up. wrong of course. definitely don't agree with his pumps recommendation whatsoever.

Last edited by GatorAlum05; 11/19/2015 at 01:39 PM.
GatorAlum05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 01:44 PM   #2504
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvMiBo View Post
I think most aquariums will run roughly 3-5 degrees F warmer than room temp (if no cooling source ie chiller, fans, etc are not used) when room temp is in the 70's. I really don't see why you're surprised and bashing Jeff. I shouldn't have to say this, but his recommendations are based on several success stories.

here you go. AC is running at 75 degrees in my office right now. Took the main circulating fan off line. Temperature creeping to 82. This is not normal, especially when I'm running led's and vortechs and I have 3 6in fans circulating in an open space behind the counter.

Last edited by Dino; 04/06/2018 at 05:22 AM.
Unread 11/19/2015, 01:51 PM   #2505
soulpatch
Registered Member

Sure it is normal. The tank takes time to cool down. and all you have done is further limited that. If the room is typically 79 degrees save for a few hours you are in there then you have built up heat in the tank. This is why those of us up north can get away with power outages and not running heaters for a while in the winter. It takes time for the tank to drop in temp...

Could you get a more efficient pump? Probably but at the same time you are asking for disaster keeping your home/office at such high temps normally which would be the baseline temp for your tank. If you want to run that hot in your home/office then invest in a chiler for the tank.

Seriously who keeps a home/office at 79 degrees???

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 01:51 PM   #2506
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
If you keep it set at 79 and it actually cooler. The your heat is running constantly. It's common sense that your going to add a few degrees to a tank with pumps running. Your running 3-5 over room temp. This is a subject a 5th grader could understand. But I guess your not smarter than a 5th grader.
negative, I live in florida with central AC. I don't need to run heat/ac combo at 79 degrees.... I leave it at cool auto 79 at night. the heat never comes on. Why would I heat my office at night when there's no one there? please use some common sense. Return pump is external. Skimmer pump is external. I highly doubt it'll increase the temperature by 4-5 degrees.....

Oh I lied. My thermostat is at 74 right now... not 75.

Unread 11/19/2015, 01:53 PM   #2507
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
Sure it is normal. The tank takes time to cool down. and all you have done is further limited that. If the room is typically 79 degrees save for a few hours you are in there then you have built up heat in the tank. This is why those of us up north can get away with power outages and not running heaters for a while in the winter. It takes time for the tank to drop in temp...

Could you get a more efficient pump? Probably but at the same time you are asking for disaster keeping your home/office at such high temps normally which would be the baseline temp for your tank. If you want to run that hot in your home/office then invest in a chiler for the tank.

Seriously who keeps a home/office at 79 degrees???
dude, it's 3pm eastern time right now. I been at my office since 730am.... thermostat has been switched from 79 to 74 since 730am... you are telling me that it's normal to have a tank that's 80-81 degrees during the day time when the room is at 74-75 degrees for 6 hours? come on man.

Unread 11/19/2015, 01:54 PM   #2508
soulpatch
Registered Member

well then with all of your savings not actually running your AC in your home/office go buy a chiller for the tank or a different pump. I wouldn't fault Jeff's pump recomendation for his equipment for you deciding to leave your home such a balmy temp year round.

Unread 11/19/2015, 01:57 PM   #2509
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
dude, it's 3pm eastern time right now. I been at my office since 730am.... thermostat has been switched from 79 to 74 since 730am... you are telling me that it's normal to have a tank that's 80-81 degrees during the day time when the room is at 74-75 degrees for 6 hours? come on man.
Why wouldn't it? The glass and everything else is insulatative to the tank. The Radions will heat the air above the tank (even though they should have minimal impact on the tank water) which limits temp exchange.

Sure the temp might have dropped for the past 6 hours but for the previous 18 it was 79.

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:07 PM   #2510
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

so people don't think I'm b/s-ing... here is graph of my apex system. Clearly showing two system. I'm not one of those guys that say I have 2 systems and not have 2 system. Clearly showing two different temperature. One set up is with the pumps that I picked out. One set up shows the pump that jeff picked out. House temperature right now is 77-78. Office temperature is 74-75.

If this isn't a result of pump recommendation by Jeff than I wouldn't know what.

And here's a picture of my house temperature VIA Nest where it clearly shows home temperature is at 77-78.

so am I bashing or stating what my findings are. I own multiple practices. I don't need to make up stuff like a 5th grader. This is to help future users. Will recommend lifereef all the way. But definitely not jeff's recommendation of pumps.

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:10 PM   #2511
soulpatch
Registered Member

Unless the tanks are identical in size and such it is unfair comparison

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:11 PM   #2512
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
Read your statement. I'm done. You wore me down with you intelligence.
obviously i miss the word minimum of 79 degrees... sorry if I have to explain to you but clearly you can see from my graph.

are you really done? because it doesn't seem like it. guarantee another response in a bit about my intelligence. you're right. i'm not that bright. i pay people like you to take care of things for me because I can. happy reefing my friend.

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:15 PM   #2513
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
Unless the tanks are identical in size and such it is unfair comparison
you're right.

here's the kicker. the tank with lower temperature has an internal pump for skimmer and return underneath a cabinet.

the tank with higher temperature has external pump for return and skimmer in an open space room with NO CABINETS or air limitations.

clearly you can see this has no cabinet walls. plenty of air to move around.

whereas this one is underneath a cabinet in your typical sump set up

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:17 PM   #2514
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Office is 55g, what's the volume of the house system? I don't believe you've mentioned that, unless I missed it.

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:25 PM   #2515
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
I know your not that bright. You pay people to take care of thing for you. Then you come on here for answers. Why not just ask the guys that you pay? They know your not the sharpest marble in the bunch.
didn't I say you wouldn't be done? am I right or am I right? I'll be here all day doing what I always do. I came in here to share my experience. That's what this forum is about? I'm actually not doing much the entire day so I can sit in my comfortable chair and troll on you brah.

Volume is definitely a factor. But Jeff knew this. He knew the volume that I was working with. I ordered an entire sump system from him specifically for this 55g display. Total office volume of water is the 55g display + LF150 which is about another 20 gallons + 22 gallons refugium. House tank is 150g display + 40g sump.

That's why I'm very surprised if these pumps are too much and emitting too much heat. Not very happy with his choice in pumps.

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:28 PM   #2516
jerseypete
Registered Member

I have a 105 with a blueline 40. And a mag 12 skimmer. My heat/ac always stays set at 74. Year round. My tank temp is always 78-79. 4-5 degrees over room temp. If you look at the apex graph the amps hardly change. The heater hardly ever kicks on. It goes down into the low 40s at night. My thermostat in my house is always on 74. So if your having fluctuations the only thing that seems to be changing is your house or office thermostat. Which is probably the cause.

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:28 PM   #2517
jerseypete
Registered Member

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:40 PM   #2518
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:

Volume is definitely a factor. But Jeff knew this. He knew the volume that I was working with. I ordered an entire sump system from him specifically for this 55g display. Total office volume of water is the 55g display + LF150 which is about another 20 gallons + 22 gallons refugium. House tank is 150g display + 40g sump.

That's why I'm very surprised if these pumps are too much and emitting too much heat. Not very happy with his choice in pumps.
my statement stands. Not very happy with jeff's recommendation considering he knew the volume I was working with. It's currently 74 degrees right now in the office. Temperature of display tank is 81 with 3 fans running.

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:53 PM   #2519
soulpatch
Registered Member

and did you go into detail with Jeff that you keep the location at such high temps typically?

This has gone on long enough honestly. You dont like the pump since you claim it is impacting your temps negatively whereas plenty of other people have no issues. I think more of the impact is the fact that you leave your house a few degrees shy of hades.

You can talk about the other tank but volumes have impacts as to thickness of glass, proximity to vents, closeness of windows, ect. So the pump didnt work in your instance. Fine get another pump. But you keep your home at such an odd temp that you can not judge his recomendation at all. That would be akin to someone asking what rose bush to get in their garden but failing to note that they live in the artic.

So in summary, pump didnt work for your odd situation, you're upset and need to get more efficient pump. To place blame on Jeff for you chosing to live on the edge is wrong however.

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:54 PM   #2520
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Quote:
didn't I say you wouldn't be done? am I right or am I right? I'll be here all day doing what I always do. I came in here to share my experience. That's what this forum is about? I'm actually not doing much the entire day so I can sit in my comfortable chair and troll on you brah.
This forum is not about trolling, reported.

Quote:
my statement stands. Not very happy with jeff's recommendation considering he knew the volume I was working with. It's currently 74 degrees right now in the office. Temperature of display tank is 81 with 3 fans running.
Volume is a factor here for sure, but the biggest factor is that the office is sitting at 79F for most of the day. Simple as that, right?

You can be upset about his recommendations all you want, but it's you that's turning up the thermostat.

His recommendations are based on skimming performance and reliability. He knew the volume, but did he know that you were sending the thermostat up the 79F for most of the day? Even with a DC pump you're going to be 81, probably 82+ with the thermostat at 79.

Take a look in your shiny mirror.

Unread 11/19/2015, 02:58 PM   #2521
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
and did you go into detail with Jeff that you keep the location at such high temps typically?

This has gone on long enough honestly. You dont like the pump since you claim it is impacting your temps negatively whereas plenty of other people have no issues. I think more of the impact is the fact that you leave your house a few degrees shy of hades.

You can talk about the other tank but volumes have impacts as to thickness of glass, proximity to vents, closeness of windows, ect. So the pump didnt work in your instance. Fine get another pump. But you keep your home at such an odd temp that you can not judge his recomendation at all. That would be akin to someone asking what rose bush to get in their garden but failing to note that they live in the artic.

So in summary, pump didnt work for your odd situation, you're upset and need to get more efficient pump. To place blame on Jeff for you chosing to live on the edge is wrong however.
please explain how display is still 81 degrees right now at 4pm eastern time when my AC unit at the office is at 74 and sump set up is in an open space where there's plenty of air circulation.... this has nothing to do with keeping my AC unit at 79 degrees in november AT NIGHT when outside temperature is at 69 or less (heat does not kick in at all because I didn't put it as AUTO. I set it at minimum AC 79.... I don't follow your logic when temperature of office is actually COOLER at night than when my AC is set at for minimum.
Jeff knew the volume. He shouldn't have pushed this pump on me like it's the greatest and best.

Unread 11/19/2015, 03:00 PM   #2522
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
relax my friend. even though people called me dumb I'm not going to report them.

Unread 11/19/2015, 03:01 PM   #2523
BrianD
Sir Brian The Lenient

Let's relax and not attack each other, ok? This is a friendly reminder to be civil.

Current Tank Info: Empty
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/19/2015, 03:04 PM   #2524
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:

Volume is a factor here for sure, but the biggest factor is that the office is sitting at 79F for most of the day. Simple as that, right?

You can be upset about his recommendations all you want, but it's you that's turning up the thermostat.

His recommendations are based on skimming performance and reliability. He knew the volume, but did he know that you were sending the thermostat up the 79F for most of the day? Even with a DC pump you're going to be 81, probably 82+ with the thermostat at 79.

Take a look in your shiny mirror.
did you read what I wrote earlier? I said i keep the thermostat minimum of 79 AT NIGHT for COOLING ONLY...... With temperature at night into the high 60s and low 70s, the actual temperature is even lower than the minimum 79. HEAT DOES NOT TURN ON IN MY OFFICE AT ALL. PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND. ONLY MY AC kicks in if temperature reach higher than 79 which it hasn't in over a month. Day time thermostat is 74-75 AC.

Jeff already knew the volume I was working with and still recommended those pumps. So is it my fault or his? Thanks.

Unread 11/19/2015, 03:17 PM   #2525
GatorAlum05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Let's relax and not attack each other, ok? This is a friendly reminder to be civil.
thanks brian. I haven't been reefing for as long as you have but I'm not noob by any means; been in this hobby for over 5 years and went through a couple builds already. This is the first time that I've had a tank heat up the way it has.

this is an experience that I am sharing for future lifereef owners not because I hate lifereef, (the opposite in fact);

best skimmer I've ever owned, thus I have 2.

just don't agree with jeff's recommendation given the volume of water. and If i put the splash guards on, the tank cooks to 83-85.