Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2010, 01:32 PM   #1
chaseg89
Registered Member

Return pump question

I think I have decided to go with a Sicce return pump for my new build they seem moderately priced and sound like they are reliable for the most part. Now I have a question about the gph I need to be looking for in a return pump. I will have a 57g display tank and a twenty long sump. I have an Reef Octopus NWB 110 which has an approximate gph of 260 and will be using either an mp10 or mp20 in my display. If I wanted to "T" off the plumbing on my return so that I could run a reactor off of the same return pump how much gph would I need so that I could run both the return to the display tank and another piece of equipment (i.e. reactor)? Idk if this is the information needed to be able to give me any opinions. If not I can give more details on the setup.

Unread 04/27/2010, 01:33 PM   #2
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

GPH required for the reactor?

Size of plumbing (bulkhead) for your drain(s) from the DT to sump?

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2010, 01:42 PM   #3
chaseg89
Registered Member

The bulkheads are 3/4"...yeah I was wondering if someone could estimate how much gph I would need so I could run the reactor and the return to the display tank off of a single return pump instead of two separate return pumps.

Unread 04/27/2010, 08:04 PM   #4
uncleof6
Registered Member

How many 3/4" bulkheads do you have holes for? What kind of drain system do you plan on using?

Jim

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 07:21 AM   #5
chaseg89
Registered Member

There are two holes drilled, one for the return and the other draining to the sump. It will be a gravity fed drain system.

Unread 04/28/2010, 07:24 AM   #6
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

A 3/4" drain is practically useless on anything larger than a nano. In terms of realistic flow numbers, you're probably in the 200 gph range.

If you have the opportunity to use both 3/4" holes as drains, and run the return over the back wall of the tank, I would absolutely suggest that.

Also, what I meant to ask above was this - what sort of GPH does your planned reactor need? That'll help us determined the GPH requirement for the pump.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2010, 03:18 PM   #7
chaseg89
Registered Member

I have been looking at the brs dual GFO/carbon reactors but the website doesnt rate it as far as what gph is need through the reactor so I am not sure.